The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GH3 Manual Focus?

T

tbonemain

I will preface this with:
I am new to Panasonic. I have been using Canon and Nikon DSLR/ Film cameras for many
years.

Now the short of the long of it is:

I received my new GH3 along with my HS12035 12-35mm F2 lens today and was very excited.
Upon firing the camera up, I discover the manual focus ring is disabled on the lens
unless the camera is set to MF mode (thus after reading manuals and contacting a
Panasonic tech)

I am confused how the focus ring can be disabled when auto focus functions are enabled.

It's seems counter productive for a professional body/lens to remove manual control. I
don't trust autofocus to always get it right (especially in lowlight or narrow DOF
situations), and sometimes you need to make a slight adjustments while shooting, but with
the ring disabled, you are now required to press the shutter release repeatedly to get
the camera to to adjust the frame as I want it, remove a supporting hand and put a finger
to the lcd or resort to a colored fader bar using a macro pop up screen, even if the
adjustment is small. Something that would have taken me mere milliseconds previously
would now possibly take minutes.

This is especially odd to me with the added other high tech features to somehow miss
basic manual override of the auto focus in the design.

I am aware this is not a Canon or Nikon, however, with an interchangeable lens system, I
would not have expected the inability to adjust focus manually at any time. It seems
very "point and shoot" or "consumer" to have an 'either /or ' design.

Is this a Panasonic / Lumix Lens common design?
Is the a GH3 design issue?
Is there a work around the MF only OR AF only?
Since the ring works in MF, is there a software issue causing the glitch?

I contacted Panasonic directly and was informed the focus ring only functions when the
MF mode is on, they didn't know why it can not override the auto focus.

I was not able to get my hands physically on one (GH3/lens) before I ordered mine online,
and I did extensive research before investing my 3700$ (I also bought the HS35100)and
this issue was not ever raised, so I am hoping there is something I am missing here or
there is a simple work around. I do not feel this is expecting too much our of a
semiprofessional platform (especially at this price point) and would really hate to have
to return it.

Thanks in advance for the help.

MTM

*I am posting this on a few different forusm in effort to get as much input as possible. So if its a repeat for you, I apologize..

biomed

This may be a feature for videographers to avoid the lens refocusing during recording. I am pretty much a novice to video, so this is just a guess. I use my GH3 in MF mode nearly 100% of the time. I also use a lot of adapted Nikkor and Voigtlander lenses which will only focus manually.

brunerww

Hi tbonemain - Yes, this can be confusing because the default setting is AF only. To fix it, go to the custom menu (the one with the wrench and the letter "C"), scroll to page 3, and turn AF+MF to "on". This will enable you to use autofocus and make adjustments manually in the end game.

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution