The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

waiting for olympus?

back alley

i have been looking at the panasonic g1 photos posted here and reading the comments about it.
i notice that some are waiting for an expected olympus release.

and i see that there will be an adapter or 2 that will mate m mount lenses on these bodies.

i am tempted to abandon my plan to buy a used rd1 and get a g1 plus adapter so that i can have a small, modern digital body that will allow me to use my zeiss m mount lenses.

so, besides wondering if the rd1 is still a better idea for me (mostly street shooting) i am also wondering if waiting for the oly release is something i should do.

is there a question in here somewhere? not sure, just confused and wondering what my next best move is.

joe

monza

I went for the G1 as it's here now, and it was so cheap - under $500 with a lens, try that with the rd1 :) that there will be minimal loss selling it if the Oly is worth switching to when it comes out.

jonoslack

Joe
I agree with Monza - if you go for the G1, and the Olympus turns out even better, then you'll either have a spare body, or you can sell the G1. The lens will work on both, as will any adaptors you get now for the G1.

I suspect that the Olympus will be rather different in form, and might also have sensor based stabilisation - there might be a place for both bodies.

back alley

i found the g1 for 650 with free shipping on ebay, cdn. seller.

vivek, strong feeling against rf digital, can you explain further?
joe

monza

These are just from the last couple of days, ebay seller prodigital2000. If you are patient you can get a good price.

I got mine at the buy it now price of 649 and then got 25% off with the live.com cashback. It's possible the cashback will increase again as we near Christmas or right afterwards, it's at 8% now.

V

Vivek

Joe, No feeling. Just a plain fact. Waste of cash.

Luckily, I could trade-in my Epson R-D1s for a nice, tiny and useful spectrometer.

V

Vivek

If it does not come with the kit lens, I will sell you mine for cheap.:)

back alley

Not sure which frozen north you are in, but Jacobs digital in the UK seems to be quite good:
£499 including VAT for the single lens
£587 for the twin

Seems to be 10% off with voucher DIGICAM10

Jacobs
FWIW
i'm in western canada, where the temp has warmed up to a balmy -25c today!!

joe

monza

Don't forget Joe, you'll need to buy the M adapter and the 4/3 to micro 4/3 adapter, and an extra battery, and some SD cards :)

Slippery slope!