The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

My OMD came back!

jonoslack

Hi There - two week ago I took my OMD in - it was one of the early ones, and had the little cracks by the screws on the LCD.
They replaced the whole LCD, and the camera has come back cleaned and lovely.
Yesterday I took some time out and used it for snapping the new puppy - I'd forgotten how really good it is.

This is with the 35-100 f2.8 Panasonic:

Contemplation​

As you can imagine, it's not very in character!

Knorp

Two weeks seems quite fair to me.
No cracks (yet) in mine, but perhaps I should call the service centre anyway.
The OMD might be a little jewel, but so is Matty !

Kind regards.

marlof

Mine came back too. A pity that they wrote they had done a repair, when they only cleaned the camera, and wiped the settings. The hairline cracks were still there. It's now on its way to Oly for the second time. My local shop was such a good help in my contact with Oly, that I ordered a 75-300 ii through them. :)

Last edited:

m43

Service (Olympus) is great my US purchased OM-D was serviced here in Aus for near nothing :)

For this shot the Oly 75 f1.8 would be my choice

Last edited:

Knorp

Mine came back too. A pity that they wrote they had done a repair, when they only cleaned the camera, and wiped the settings. The hairline cracks were still there. It's now on its way to Oly for the second time. My local shop was such a good help in my contact with Oly, that I ordered a 75-300 ii through them. :)
Oh no, that's rotten luck.
Hopefully they've got it right this time.

Kind regards.

marlof

hope so too, Bart. The 75-300 arrived today (with the ridiculously large hood I ordered with it) and seems fine. They're seemingly still checking the E-M5....

jonoslack

While we're on the theme . . . here is another shot (still with the 35-100)

Coming up from Under - Matty and Caspar

marlof

Jono, that pair of hair of yours is growing teeth!

On a different note: the second attempt at repairing my black OMD was successful. As far as I can tell they replaced the complete back screen. Can't top Jono's images though, wouldn't get further than a sleeping cat or two.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Dammit, Jono. I really wanted to resist the 35-100/2.8 as it has odd bokeh for its price, but in YOUR hands, it seems to take beautiful portraits. :thumbs:

--Matt

(I did get the 75/1.8, but I just don't use it that much. I want to go longer or shorter. Grumble grumble...)

jonoslack

Dammit, Jono. I really wanted to resist the 35-100/2.8 as it has odd bokeh for its price, but in YOUR hands, it seems to take beautiful portraits. :thumbs:

--Matt

(I did get the 75/1.8, but I just don't use it that much. I want to go longer or shorter. Grumble grumble...)
Hi there Matt
I've resisted the 75, despite the fact that its obviously wonderful, because I suspect it wouldn't get much use. Basically , if I'm shooting with primes I'd rather use the other camera. But I really have narrowed it down to the M and the OMD. They go well together :salute:
The two Panasonic f2.8 zooms are a great combo. I hadn't noticed the odd bokeh, but I hadn't read about it either!

scott kirkpatrick

Well, like Jono, I have Leica's 75 and 135, lovely primes. But unlike Jono, I won't have an M(240) for many more months, and these lenses are not easy to use on an M9. So for slightly more than the cost of a Leica lensshade, I got the 45/1.8, a CMOS sensor with good high ISO behavior, live view focusing and an E-PL5. Also the 75/1.8, for less than an A&A camera bag. I put all this lightweight kit into an old fanny pack found in our camping gear closet and I'm all set for the medium telephoto world. Jono's two Panasonic zooms probably cost as much as a smallish Real Leica Lens, but he's probably using them for events work where the zooms pay off in flexibility. Some fine day, when the M240 appears, I'll probably keep on using the M43 gear, since by then I will have learned its complicated control structure...

scott

retow

I've eaten my hat and bought the 75 f1.8 - it's glorious
Oh boy, to have to read such posts early in the morning does not make for a great start into the day........:salute: I see an OMD with the 12-35mm and the 75mm in my future travel bag to complement my IQ monsters RX1 or Sigma DP2m.

Knorp

I've eaten my hat and bought the 75 f1.8 - it's glorious
I've succumbed as well, I'm afraid: just got a great deal on a chrome one.
But the Blacks are coming !
So perhaps a black hood in the near future ? Looking smashing :toocool:

Kind regards.

jonoslack

Hi Bart - Jorgen
It's silly really, one of the reason I held off was that I thought the silver looked a bit bling in pictures . . . . so the minute they announce the black I go and buy the silver.
I don't regret it though - I like silver lenses, and this one looks great.
They can stuff the lens hood though - I've got a specially designed, multi directional, multi purpose lens hood, it can protect from the sun at all angles and works perfectly with both wide and telephoto lenses. . . . . . . it's called a hand. :p

kuau

Workshop Member
I just read that the new Black 75/1.8 comes with a new style center pinch lens cap. I will be ordering the lens cap for sure, and since I have the black OM-D
I like silver lenses :D