The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

G1 & Nikkors

monza

Some quick and dirty shots of the G1, 4/3 adapter, Fotodiox Nikon adapter, and the following lenses:

24/2.8 AF
50/1.4 AI
55/3.5
85/1.8 AF
105/2.5
80-200 AFS

For reference the kit lens is almost the same size as the 50 or 24 with adapters.

greypilgrim

Cool, be sure to post some shots and impressions once you've had a chance to try them out. I'm especially interested in your experiences using older glass like the 105...

Doug

simonclivehughes

Well, this pushed me over the edge to get the and the 4/3 and Nikon adaptors. I can't wait to see what the 85 1.4 does on the G1!

Cheers,

monza

Yes, I will post some shots, I'm really keen to see how all these do, well, except the zoom, I included that photo just for grins. :)

simonclivehughes

This is probably a dumb question, but I'm assuming that the effective focal length of the Nikon lenses is double, so the 85mm would be equivalent to 170mm? I'm also interested to see what my 60mm Micro and the 300mm f4 will do. And perhaps the 300 f4 with the 1.4X TC???

Cheers,

V

Vivek

You just capture a smaller crop (~1/2 of what you would get on full frame 35mm). The focal lengths remain the same. 300mm is still 300mm and with a 1.4X TC, it is still a 420mm.

simonclivehughes

Vivek,

Yes, I understand that, but aren't you "effectively" getting double the FL in the same manner that the kit lens at 14-45 yields 28-90?

Ciao,

V

Vivek

Simon,

The angle of coverage seen by the sensor is reduced. Yes.

But the focal lengths remain the same.:)

simonclivehughes

OK, that's understood and why I originally specified "effective focal length". It's no different than using these lenses on my D300s, other than it's a 2X Vs 1.5X crop.

Thanks,

Brian Mosley

The only thing worth bearing in mind, is that the longer lenses need to be fast to counteract non-stabilisation.

I use a Hexanon 135mm f2.5 which is fabulous, but I'm seriously hoping that Olympus provide in-body stabilisation for their m4/3rd offering. Of course, if they leave ELVIS out, I'd rather stick with the G-series. ELVIS rocks!:toocool:

Kind Regards

Brian

monza

Very murky day here, just a quick shot using the Nikkor 105/2.5, ISO 100, 1/1000s wide open. Click for full size image. RAW converted to DNG then saved as jpg using CS3 but no sharpening or anything else. This is a '72/73 vintage Nikkor-P 105, I believe the later Gauss design.

Last edited:

greypilgrim

It looks like the focus is a little in front of the duck. I am assuming this was wide open? How do you fine the manual focusing experience?

Thanks,

Doug

monza

Yep, wide open. Manual focusing is a dream. Although when you magnify/zoom the focus using a tele, the view can get kinda shaky. :) But when you slightly press the shutter button, it goes back to normal view so you can take the photo. The viewfinder is so good I almost forgot it isn't optical.

Last edited:

monza

Here is another at f/5.6, 1/320s. Click for 100% view. (Might have to click twice depending on your browser.)

Last edited:
V

Vivek

Although when you magnify/zoom the focus using a tele, the view can get kinda shaky. :)
This is a blessing in disguise prompting you to use a camera support and/or use a fast shutter speed.

Can you imagine getting that warning from any Nikon cam?

Henry Goh

Am I correct to assume that I can use the Fotodiox Nikon to Oly 4/3 adapter on G1? Are all the 4/3 cameras using the same mount? (I'm a real noob with 4/3 stuff so please be patient) Thanks.

simonclivehughes

Henry,

Well, you can use it on the 4/3 adaptor that fits onto the (micro 4/3) G1. It's an addition to the standard 4/3 adaptor for the G1.

Cheers,

Henry Goh

Thanks Simon but I'm still a little confused - I need 2 adapters? Nikon to 4/3 and 4/3 to M4/3? Is there a Nikon or EOS to M4/3 in the market?

monza

Novoflex has announced a direct Nikon --> µ4/3, due in February.

Until then -- you need two adapters. If you look at the pictures in the first post, you can see the Panasonic 4/3 --> µ4/3 adapter on the camera, and a Fotodiox Nikon --> 4/3 adapter in between the Panasonic adapter and the lens.

monza

This is a blessing in disguise prompting you to use a camera support and/or use a fast shutter speed.
Exactly! It was an instant reminder...although I just figured out the magnification is variable. I guess I should crack open the manual. :)