Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The adapter has arrived

akaloith

Re: The adapter has arrived

can someone post a full size comparison of the panasonic and the leica lens?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Color-heliar 75

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Bill, that's a lovely shot, but, there seems to be a rather brutal roll-off on the highlights on the flower - is that recoverable, did you shoot raw?
    Thanks Jono. Yes, I shot that in raw. I'll see if I can do something with it. I don't have any confidence in my cheapo monitor here at the office, but I'll give it a try.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by akaloith View Post
    Can you please post FULL SIZE raw and jpeg samples of your great Leica Lenses on Panasonic G1?
    By posting a 1mp sample means nothing about image quality
    Very easily a crap lens could be good at 1mp!
    PLEASE FULL SIZE!
    I don't know if it's possible to post 12mp pics in this forum.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    P.S.
    Martin - Welcome - excuse my irreverent reply - it was more directed at myself than at you!
    Thanks, Jono, from an incorrigible lurker. Don't worry, my was typical British understatement.

Martin

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fordfanjpn View Post
    I don't know if it's possible to post 12mp pics in this forum.

Bill
    Thanks Bill and this is not directed at you.

It is not and let's remember folks, let's try not and push this issue with posting photo's from others. We are here because it is something we want to do and some folks do not like posting there images it is there right not too. Thanks I hate being the heavy sometimes but we always want to keep this forum friendly and everyone happy.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Thanks Bill and this is not directed at you.

It is not and let's remember folks, let's try not and push this issue with posting photo's from others. We are here because it is something we want to do and some folks do not like posting there images it is there right not too. Thanks I hate being the heavy sometimes but we always want to keep this forum friendly and everyone happy.
    Hi Guy. Thanks for the comment. It's appreciated. Always good to have the voice of reason when we need it. You and Jack do a great job of keeping this a good place to hang out. This is the only forum I still read and take part in, and I hope it stays that way. Keep up the good work.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Bill exactly what we want our members to feel that this is a great place to hang out.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Now lets get to some fun part. I would love if someone took on the courage to post a Adapter thread. Right now i am confused as maybe others are as well. Something maybe that identifies the adapters , where they can be found and what exactly they do. Maybe group it as to existing 4/3 lenses, micro 4/3 lenses and the alternate lenses Leica , Zeiss and CV in the M mount, The same in the screw mount. Than we have Nikkor adapters and who knows what else . this little thing is about the most versatile camera lens combo i have seen. Anyway would love a chart of this and i can make it a sticky for reference. you folks are really ahead of everyone on all this and this data is great to have. But i will admit it id confusing too with all these adapters

Post Thanks / Like

Now lets get to some fun part. I would love if someone took on the courage to post a Adapter thread. Right now i am confused as maybe others are as well. Something maybe that identifies the adapters , where they can be found and what exactly they do. Maybe group it as to existing 4/3 lenses, micro 4/3 lenses and the alternate lenses Leica , Zeiss and CV in the M mount, The same in the screw mount. Than we have Nikkor adapters and who knows what else . this little thing is about the most versatile camera lens combo i have seen. Anyway would love a chart of this and i can make it a sticky for reference. you folks are really ahead of everyone on all this and this data is great to have. But i will admit it id confusing too with all these adapters
    I surely second that. I'm a non RF shooter but am interested in perhaps exploring some alternative lenses, but I need some handholding here I think LOL. Some sort of chart would work.

Diane

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

HI Guy
    It's a great idea
    The trouble is actually getting hold of the adaptors at present - although I think that they mostly work the same way.

Bill seems to be the first person to get an adapter, so I'd say it was his punishment to get the information together!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy

If you could convince him to do it Pham Minh Son would be great as the adapter guy. As you know, he designed and built adapters for Contax lenses on Canon bodies which was a real feat considering the critical (and small) dimensions. I understand he is now looking at adapters to use Hassy FE lenses on the Nikons. Anyway, you might want to talk to him about possibilities.

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Woody it would be nice just to have this all in one spot what works with what and who makes what and how to get our grubby hands on all this stuff.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Woody
    Trouble is that you need someone who understands and uses a G1 to do it, and I don't really see it as his bag (things might change of course).

At the moment it's confusing as there are a number of different people selling adaptors . . . but rather fewer people actually making them (as far as I can see).

Just this guy you know

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Seems as though the G1 has started a c-mount revival. Here is one that is advertised for use with the G1 and ships with a c to m4/3 adapter.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...E:B:SS:US:1123

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Now when someone finds i can bolt my Mamiya glass on it . Look out. LOL

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

there are two adapters I am making for the G1:

LTM to G1: this will take anything made to the Leica thread mount standard, like the Cosing Voightlander lenses.

M to G1: this will take anything made to the Leica M bayonet mount.

in both cases, there are limits regarding the diameter and amount of protrusion of rear elements from the base flange on the lens. In general, the largest diameter that will clear the electrical contacts in the body is 1.17" (about 29.5mm). the most it can extend is .57 (14.5mm) from the base flange of the LTM lens, or .53 (13.4mm) from the base flange of the M lens.

the very largest diameter that will pass the hole in the adapter is 1.40" (35.3mm) and it can only extend .150: (3.7mm). if it extended farther, it would contact the ends of the electrical contacts.

What makes the M to G1 adapter more tricky (and probably most bayonet styles) is the lens lock pushbutton and the requirement for springs to properly seat the bayonet tightly against the flange. (the screw mount adapter needs neither)

I don't have samples of other lenses to check, but could probably make suitable adapters for most, the problem being volume, to keep it economically sensible.

nei1

It would be interesting to see what lenses have the opportunity of being used on the G1.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a list I put together. No guarantees for accuracy! It is assumed some lenses may not fit due to physical conflicts, and not all G1 functions (autofocus, etc.) will work. There are many other ebay sources for 4/3 adapters that aren't listed.

Click the graphic to download an excel spreadsheet.

Last edited by monza; 19th December 2008 at 13:18.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Wonderful! This must be the closest weīve ever got to a "universal mount" camera, apart from view cameras....

And, on such a tiny and capable camera body! And, with such good manual focussing.

Panasonic really hit the bullīs eye with this one.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Per Ofverbeck View Post
    Wonderful! This must be the closest weīve ever got to a "universal mount" camera, apart from view cameras....

And, on such a tiny and capable camera body! And, with such good manual focussing.

Panasonic really hit the bullīs eye with this one.
    Quite right . . . and this is just version 0

Just this guy you know

Deceased, but remembered fondly here... johnastovall's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It will be most interesting to see what version 1 looks like and Olympus' offering.

I wonder what will be coming at PMA?

"The market wants a Leica to be a Leica: the inheritor of tradition, the subject of lore, and indisputably a mark of status to own."
    Mike Johnston

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I want to see a Pentax 6x7 lens on a G1.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

John's LTM-G1 adapter just arrived and I'm itching to try it, but dark and snowing heavily outside right now. I'll try to post shots taken with various CV LTM lenses tomorrow. This shot is the G1 with the 28mm f/1.9 Ultron mounted via the LTM adapter. You can't see the adapter very well, but the brass matches with the red G1 very nicely and the "Oldies" will love it! The adapter attaches easily with a smooth and precise fit. Kudos to John for another high quality product. All of my CV LTM lenses that I've tried so far (15 4.5, 28 1.9, 75 2.5, 90 3.5) fit without problems.

Last edited by scho; 19th December 2008 at 14:50. Reason: fix link

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice...56mm f/1.9 effective. But don't forget to take the UV/IR filter off.

Do you like having to screw the lenses straight into the adapter, as opposed to having bayonet adapters on each lens with an M mount adapter?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    Very nice...56mm f/1.9 effective. But don't forget to take the UV/IR filter off.

Do you like having to screw the lenses straight into the adapter, as opposed to having bayonet adapters on each lens with an M mount adapter?
    If you are changing lenses frequently then the M mount is easier and I do have M adapters for all of these lenses, but no M to G1 adapter yet so the LTM adapter will be fine for these lenses. I tried a couple of shots with the UV/IR cut filters attached and at least for poorly lit indoor shots didn't see any problem with leaving the filters on. I'll see what happens tomorrow with some daylight exposures.
    Last edited by scho; 19th December 2008 at 15:51. Reason: fix sentence

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here is a list I put together. No guarantees for accuracy! It is assumed some lenses may not fit due to physical conflicts, and not all G1 functions (autofocus, etc.) will work. There are many other ebay sources for 4/3 adapters that aren't listed.

Click the graphic to download an excel spreadsheet.

You are awesome . I will make a separate thread on this and make it a sticky in the morning. Thanks so much gotta run to a dinner.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Monza
    you are a real star

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I want to see a Pentax 6x7 lens on a G1.
    Yup, I'd like to see my Pentax 67 300mm EDIF lens on the G1.

Do you suppose this is the closest I'll ever come to my dream of a digital P67? I might have to buy a G1 just to try the G1/P67 combo (and get a pic for Monza in the process).

Gary Benson
    Eagle River, Alaska

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Heh. With nothing next to it for reference, the Pentax doesn't look all that big in that photo. The Pentax lens mount just might conflict with the grip on the G1!

Saichiez

No Affiliation, BUT Prodigital2000 seller

Prodigital2000 seller on eBay is selling the G1 as low as auction prices near $500, with over 40 in the last month between $500-600. What I don't understand is that they are sprinkling in some Buy It Now's at $649 and even those are selling in the midst of their auction prices. See completed listings on them ...

70,000 trans
    Canada seller
    99% positive trans
    Have seen a number of good comments about them OFF eBay.

Can't see any catch 22's.... anyone????

Me for one from them, at year end.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I bought from them, they shipped quickly. In my case I did a buy-it-now and combined it with live.com cashback (30%) instead of waiting for a regular auction to end.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: No Affiliation, BUT Prodigital2000 seller

Quote Originally Posted by Saichiez View Post
    Prodigital2000 seller on eBay is selling the G1 as low as auction prices near $500, with over 40 in the last month between $500-600. What I don't understand is that they are sprinkling in some Buy It Now's at $649 and even those are selling in the midst of their auction prices. See completed listings on them ...

70,000 trans
    Canada seller
    99% positive trans
    Have seen a number of good comments about them OFF eBay.

Can't see any catch 22's.... anyone????

Me for one from them, at year end.
    I believe that I've read that they have Canadian warranties so you will have to send it there for any service. I believe this is the first time models from Canada are cheaper than the US and it isn't just the exchange rate move.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    I believe that I've read that they have Canadian warranties so you will have to send it there for any service. I believe this is the first time models from Canada are cheaper than the US and it isn't just the exchange rate move.
    I won a bid last night for a black one at $548. The blues and reds seem to be going for less (as low as $517 in one bid I saw). Tonight (12/21) they seem to be bidding higher, but Prodigital2000 seems to have fewer up for sale at this point. They also have the 45-200 in stock for $329.99

I expect delivery after Christmas - will post again if I have any difficulties.

Post Thanks / Like

The blue and red are also selling cheaper at Amazon. $662.71 shipped for the red one right now.

Saichiez

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Each listing says that they have international warranty. I emailed them and they indicated service in US is covered. I'll try to find the response.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Can someone provide the contact information to place an order for either the Novaflex or Rayqual adaptors that are in English. Thanks

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Call them and ask to speak to Lydia.

order code MFT/LEM
    Novoflex Präzisionstechnik GmbH, Brahmstrasse 7, 87700 Memmingen,
    Germany, Phone +49 83 31 / 8 88 88, E-Mail: [email protected]

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by barjohn View Post
    Can someone provide the contact information to place an order for either the Novaflex or Rayqual adaptors that are in English. Thanks
    USA retailers should have the Novoflex adapter in stock in two weeks. I don't know when John's M adapter will be ready to ship, but should be soon. I'm very pleased with his LTM to G1 adapter for use with my CV lenses on the G1.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

How does the Novaflex compare to the Rayqual? Anyone compared the two?

Post Thanks / Like

John,

I can't answer your question on this but wanted to welcome you to the forum. It's nice to see how many people migrate here.

Cheers,

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks for the welcome. I have ordered the Nikon adaptor and the regular 4/3 adaptor and I am trying for the Novaflex.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Novoflex just arrived.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool ! I'm hoping to receive mine somewhere next week.
    In the meanwhile I'm dreaming of an MFT/LER ...
    Bart ...

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

One more. The Novoflex leaves the electrical contacts exposed. Also, you can't remove the lens from the adapter and leave the adapter on the camera; take the adapter off the camera first, then take the lens off the adapter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

... Also, you can't remove the lens from the adapter and leave the adapter on the camera; take the adapter off the camera first, then take the lens off the adapter.
    OK, no big problem if itīs so. But why? I canīt quite imagine what would go wrong if one changed lenses while leaving the adapter on the camera. There are neither electrical nor mechanical couplings of any kind involved.

Edit: well, looking closely at the pic of adapter from behind, I can imagine that the locking pin might not be able to move once the adapterīs on the camera. Must be a reason, but it eludes me....

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Yep. There is a pin on the back side of the adapter that moves with the lens release button. I'm not sure why. It looks to me like it was designed this way. If the pin were shaved it would work...

Post Thanks / Like

How heavy are these adapters? Has anyone weighed theirs?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe 50 grams at most?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

The adapter looks a little beat up or worn. Is it plastic?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It looks like it has screw threads what are they for?