The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The adapter has arrived

woodyspedden

Now lets get to some fun part. I would love if someone took on the courage to post a Adapter thread. Right now i am confused as maybe others are as well. Something maybe that identifies the adapters , where they can be found and what exactly they do. Maybe group it as to existing 4/3 lenses, micro 4/3 lenses and the alternate lenses Leica , Zeiss and CV in the M mount, The same in the screw mount. Than we have Nikkor adapters and who knows what else . this little thing is about the most versatile camera lens combo i have seen. Anyway would love a chart of this and i can make it a sticky for reference. you folks are really ahead of everyone on all this and this data is great to have. But i will admit it id confusing too with all these adapters
Guy

If you could convince him to do it Pham Minh Son would be great as the adapter guy. As you know, he designed and built adapters for Contax lenses on Canon bodies which was a real feat considering the critical (and small) dimensions. I understand he is now looking at adapters to use Hassy FE lenses on the Nikons. Anyway, you might want to talk to him about possibilities.

Woody

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Thanks Woody it would be nice just to have this all in one spot what works with what and who makes what and how to get our grubby hands on all this stuff.

jonoslack

Hi Woody
Trouble is that you need someone who understands and uses a G1 to do it, and I don't really see it as his bag (things might change of course).

At the moment it's confusing as there are a number of different people selling adaptors . . . but rather fewer people actually making them (as far as I can see).

jlm

Workshop Member
there are two adapters I am making for the G1:

LTM to G1: this will take anything made to the Leica thread mount standard, like the Cosing Voightlander lenses.

M to G1: this will take anything made to the Leica M bayonet mount.

in both cases, there are limits regarding the diameter and amount of protrusion of rear elements from the base flange on the lens. In general, the largest diameter that will clear the electrical contacts in the body is 1.17" (about 29.5mm). the most it can extend is .57 (14.5mm) from the base flange of the LTM lens, or .53 (13.4mm) from the base flange of the M lens.

the very largest diameter that will pass the hole in the adapter is 1.40" (35.3mm) and it can only extend .150: (3.7mm). if it extended farther, it would contact the ends of the electrical contacts.

What makes the M to G1 adapter more tricky (and probably most bayonet styles) is the lens lock pushbutton and the requirement for springs to properly seat the bayonet tightly against the flange. (the screw mount adapter needs neither)

I don't have samples of other lenses to check, but could probably make suitable adapters for most, the problem being volume, to keep it economically sensible.

N

nei1

It would be interesting to see what lenses have the opportunity of being used on the G1.

monza

Here is a list I put together. No guarantees for accuracy! It is assumed some lenses may not fit due to physical conflicts, and not all G1 functions (autofocus, etc.) will work. There are many other ebay sources for 4/3 adapters that aren't listed.

Click the graphic to download an excel spreadsheet.

Last edited:
Wonderful! This must be the closest we´ve ever got to a "universal mount" camera, apart from view cameras....

And, on such a tiny and capable camera body! And, with such good manual focussing.

Panasonic really hit the bull´s eye with this one.

jonoslack

Wonderful! This must be the closest we´ve ever got to a "universal mount" camera, apart from view cameras....

And, on such a tiny and capable camera body! And, with such good manual focussing.

Panasonic really hit the bull´s eye with this one.
Quite right . . . and this is just version 0

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
It will be most interesting to see what version 1 looks like and Olympus' offering.

I wonder what will be coming at PMA?

scho

John's LTM-G1 adapter just arrived and I'm itching to try it, but dark and snowing heavily outside right now. I'll try to post shots taken with various CV LTM lenses tomorrow. This shot is the G1 with the 28mm f/1.9 Ultron mounted via the LTM adapter. You can't see the adapter very well, but the brass matches with the red G1 very nicely and the "Oldies" will love it! The adapter attaches easily with a smooth and precise fit. Kudos to John for another high quality product. All of my CV LTM lenses that I've tried so far (15 4.5, 28 1.9, 75 2.5, 90 3.5) fit without problems.

Last edited:

monza

Very nice...56mm f/1.9 effective. But don't forget to take the UV/IR filter off. :)

Do you like having to screw the lenses straight into the adapter, as opposed to having bayonet adapters on each lens with an M mount adapter?

scho

Very nice...56mm f/1.9 effective. But don't forget to take the UV/IR filter off. :)

Do you like having to screw the lenses straight into the adapter, as opposed to having bayonet adapters on each lens with an M mount adapter?
If you are changing lenses frequently then the M mount is easier and I do have M adapters for all of these lenses, but no M to G1 adapter yet so the LTM adapter will be fine for these lenses. I tried a couple of shots with the UV/IR cut filters attached and at least for poorly lit indoor shots didn't see any problem with leaving the filters on. I'll see what happens tomorrow with some daylight exposures.

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Here is a list I put together. No guarantees for accuracy! It is assumed some lenses may not fit due to physical conflicts, and not all G1 functions (autofocus, etc.) will work. There are many other ebay sources for 4/3 adapters that aren't listed.

Click the graphic to download an excel spreadsheet.

You are awesome . I will make a separate thread on this and make it a sticky in the morning. Thanks so much gotta run to a dinner.

bensonga

I want to see a Pentax 6x7 lens on a G1. :)
Yup, I'd like to see my Pentax 67 300mm EDIF lens on the G1. :ROTFL:

Do you suppose this is the closest I'll ever come to my dream of a digital P67? I might have to buy a G1 just to try the G1/P67 combo (and get a pic for Monza in the process). :)

Gary Benson
Eagle River, Alaska

monza

Heh. With nothing next to it for reference, the Pentax doesn't look all that big in that photo. :) The Pentax lens mount just might conflict with the grip on the G1!

S

Saichiez

No Affiliation, BUT Prodigital2000 seller

Prodigital2000 seller on eBay is selling the G1 as low as auction prices near $500, with over 40 in the last month between $500-600. What I don't understand is that they are sprinkling in some Buy It Now's at $649 and even those are selling in the midst of their auction prices. See completed listings on them ...

70,000 trans
Canada seller
99% positive trans
Have seen a number of good comments about them OFF eBay.

Can't see any catch 22's.... anyone????

Me for one from them, at year end.