The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M-mount lenses compatibility w G1?

Jonas

Hi

A 4/3 and µ4/3 forum with people interested in alt lenses was irresistible - so I signed up.

I hope I can get help with this question before shelling out the money for the lens just to find out it won't work...

Here I quote Mr Milich from another place:
in both cases, there are limits regarding the diameter and amount of protrusion of rear elements from the base flange on the lens. In general, the largest diameter that will clear the electrical contacts in the body is 1.17" (about 29.5mm). the most it can extend is .57 (14.5mm) from the base flange of the LTM lens, or .53 (13.4mm) from the base flange of the M lens.

the very largest diameter that will pass the hole in the adapter is 1.40" (35.3mm) and it can only extend .150: (3.7mm). if it extended farther, it would contact the ends of the electrical contacts.
I am planning for some more lenses for my G1, one of them the Voigtländer 35/1.2 Nokton.

Is there anyone having the CV35/1.2 knowing if it will break the limits as mentioned by Milich above?

Are there lenses "we" know of that won't work?

regards,

--
Jonas

monza

Hi Jonas, welcome to the forum. :)

Since few people have received their M adapters yet, there isn't a definitive list. In general, any lens that has rear elements that extend beyond the lens flange must be looked at carefully.

Any lens that is not compatible with the Leica M5 is probably not compatible. This includes the 28mm Elmarit (below s/n 2 314 920), and pre-M5 production Super-Angulon 21mm lenses, which have rear elements that protrude well into the lens mount body cavity.

Here is a photo of the 21/3.4 Super Angulon, showing the rear side of the lens:

Collapsible lenses are probably out, unless they are prevented from collapsing.

Regarding the 35/1.2, I use a direct link to a photo here from CameraQuest, hoping this avoids any copyright issues. :) Doesn't look to me like the rear elements are too deep (that lens appears to be focused at nearly infinity so that is near max extension) but the diameter of the rear element might be an issue...hopefully not as that would be a great match on a G1.

Jonas

Hi Jonas, welcome to the forum. :)
Thank you Monza.
And thank you for elaborating a little on the (possible) problem.

I understand very few at all have a M-mount --> µ4/3 adapter yet. I'm planning a little ahead here as Milich still is working on his adapter and Novoflex seem to have problem deliver theirs until the end of January.

Now the CV35/1.2 is the lens I'm really interested in. (Is that Mr Gandy's thumb in the image? I don't think he minds... :) ) I have seen the images of the lens and my worry is the diameter of the rear element.

It is now several years ago I sold my M4 and M5 and I actually don't recall a lot about the dimensions of my Summicron lenses. So, I'm a bit lost here. Planning in advance in this case is about buying a €800 lens - I would feel stupid if it turned out not to fit the G1...

By time I'm sure we'll get a list of the few lenses that won't work. In the meanwhile I hope somebody can measure their CV35/1.2.

regards, /Jonas

monza

As far as I can determine, Rayqual and Novoflex are shipping. I ordered a Novoflex and got an email confirmation of shipment on Dec. 12. Hopefully it will arrive tomorrow. :)

The Rayqual has a shroud that appears to prevent problem lenses from fitting to the adapter. It remains to be seen if the Novoflex and Milich adapters have that feature.

From the photos I am betting the 35/1.2 is going to be ok.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
...snip...

Any lens that is not compatible with the Leica M5 is probably not compatible. This includes the 28mm Elmarit (below s/n 2 314 920), and pre-M5 production Super-Angulon 21mm lenses, which have rear elements that protrude well into the lens mount body cavity.

...snip...
Monza, I have a Leica Super Angulon 21mm f/3.4 that is modified for the M5 and I use it on my M5, but it would still not be compatible with the G1 (IMHO). The M5 modification to the SA does not shorten the protrusion that you picture, it only allows room for the metering arm to move. (At least this is true of my copy.)

scho

The 28/2 Ultron is the one I am considering:

I also have this lens. Rear element diameter looks to be approximately 30.5mm and extension 13mm. These measurements were made with a ruler, so not very precise.

Jonas

As far as I can determine, Rayqual and Novoflex are shipping. I ordered a Novoflex and got an email confirmation of shipment on Dec. 12. Hopefully it will arrive tomorrow. :)

The Rayqual has a shroud that appears to prevent problem lenses from fitting to the adapter. It remains to be seen if the Novoflex and Milich adapters have that feature.

From the photos I am betting the 35/1.2 is going to be ok.
I have contacted Novoflex who told me that the Swedish distributor will have some adapters the third week of January. Rayqual adapters will be available at approximately the same time (source: Stephen at SpeedGraphic, UK)

To me it is hard to determine if the CV35/1.2 will fit from looking at images. An €800 bet is too tough for me...

I'm not sure how the numbers in my first Milich quote should be interpreted. It seems as the CV28/2 should be OK, but I'm not sure.

I think I'll mail Voigtländer, or a distributor, and ask about the size.

scho

I was informed by the USA Novoflex rep that their shipment would arrive on Jan 2 and would then be immediately available to retail dealers.

peterb

Carl,

Terrific examples with the Summilux and Noctilux. May I ask what speed you used for some of the interior shots? The noise is verrrrry smooth. (And if you shot RAW what settings did you use to process them to keep the noise so film-like?)

Peter

scho

Carl,

Terrific examples with the Summilux and Noctilux. May I ask what speed you used for some of the interior shots? The noise is verrrrry smooth. (And if you shot RAW what settings did you use to process them to keep the noise so film-like?)

Peter
Those are not my photos Peter. I was just passing on a link to another photographer's images.

I have contacted Novoflex who told me that the Swedish distributor will have some adapters the third week of January.....
OK, this morning I phoned AIFO (the Swedish distributor), and was told they don´t even plan to stock any m4/3 adapters ("it hasn´t exactly been a great hit" in their opinion):thumbdown:. They could order one specially, which would take about four weeks ("starting to count after the holidays").

So, being in Sweden, I feel it´s best to find other ways of acquiring an adapter....:eek: