Site Sponsors

Thread: Long zoom lens question

Post Thanks / Like

Long zoom lens question

Greetings,

We have the Panasonic 45-200 zoom. It's perfectly nice as a consumer level zoom lens, and my wife uses it all the time for close up shots in the garden. I'm looking at the 100-300 zoom and wondering if anyone who has both would care to comment on the differences.

It looks like the minimum focusing distances are such that they have approximately the same magnification at closest focus (.19x vs .21x.) So I don't think she'll see a huge difference in her images that are shot at or close to the minimum distance. (Of course at anything beyond that there are differences.)

Are there other reasons to purchase the 100-300? Build quality? Image quality at longer focal lengths?

Thanks!

Ken

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Long zoom lens question

Ken
    I have two OM-D bodies and the Pana 100-300 is permanently fitted to one body for my wildlife work. It is a great lens. It is equivalent to 200-600mm on a full frame or 35mm film camera and quite a big lump but light in weight. The image quality is excellent.

I ring the lens changes on the other body, but more often than not it has the 14-150 lens on for when I am stalking wildlife. the two together allows for virtually any opportunity that might occur, without changing lenses, which is when that chance almost certainly would be missed!

I am not sure if this answers your question but at least it might provide you with a bit more info!
    Cheers, Dave
    www.simmondsphotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Long zoom lens question

Thanks, yes it provides more helpful info. Appreciate it.