The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fastest Oly lens for 520 in 100mm focal length

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Running out to shoot all day but I was wondering what is the fastest 100mm /150mm lens that may fit on my 520. Need full AF here. Doing runway

I know there is the 150 F2 which looks awesome but damn expensive.

I will check this out later tonight ,thanks in advance for some idea's . Not sure what I want to shoot my MF which I have done with great success or just use the Oly 520

Brian Mosley

Hello Guy,

the 50-200mm SWD is fast focusing, as is the 12-60mm SWD... I've only used the 150mm f2 a couple of times - but it's so good, it tends to haunt you! lol

Kind Regards

Brian

kweide

Dont try Bigma 150. It is said to have severe AF probs in it latest FW with Oly cams. So stay with the 150/2. It is magic

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
There has been a Zuko 100mm macro, rumoured to be f/2.0. on the roadmap for ages, but so far no lens. The 50-200 is good though, and the SWD version focuses fast.

Riley

hi Guy
Sigma MACRO 105mm F2.8 EX DG, (about $400)
http://www.4-3system.com/modules/lenses/lens.php?id=25
Sigma APO MACRO 150mm F2.8 EX DG HSM (about $600) (gotta love their letter identification)
http://www.4-3system.com/modules/lenses/lens.php?id=26
folks who have them seem to love them, dont forget the EFL is 210mm and 300mm respectively, F2.8 is pretty fast at that. I just get a bit fearful of Sigma QC, I would only buy an example I could try first.

I guess if you dont want to pay $2,200 for a 150/2 you wont want to pay the same for the 35-100/2, but its a total killer lens you might like to be aware of. Most economic Olympus proposition would be a 50-200 zoom, the older non SWD are around on ebay, but of course AF is slower.

Last edited:

Martin S

Guy

With the FOV effect of 100% on the 4/3 sensor, do u really want an effective focal length of 200-300 mm for a runway shoot??

If u want an effective focal length of 100 mm - the 50 mm f2.0 macro
can't be beat.

Just a thought.

Martin

Guy Mancuso

Actually I am pretty far away when I am doing the runway part. So 200 or 300 is either waist level at the top of the stage or full length entering the runway. I shoot these twice a year for the past 10 years and 200mm is about perfect even though i could do 300

Guy Mancuso

Nothing Leica in the cabinet. LOL

I will just use Jacks Mamiya 300mm . I shot that last NY trip and got great results, stupid me i sold mine and could royally kick myself for it too.

C

cledry

If you could deal with manual focus the Vivitar Series 1 135/2.3 is not bad. It is supposed to be really f/2. Of course it might be a bit soft wide open. They aren't expensive.