The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Iceland and am OM D

Stuart Richardson

Really? I have not had those, nor seen them on offer. I am also not in favor of the whaling. Minke is not endangered, but still it does not seem to be a particularly good thing for Iceland, either ethically or economically. There are only a very few companies and people that benefit from whaling here, few Icelanders eat whale regularly and the tourism industry, for example dwarfs it in size and of course suffers from the negative publicity and effects of the whaling...whale watching and whale hunting don't go so well together in the same waters, for example.

I will look into the helicopters, however. I have not been up in one here. I went up briefly in a small plane, and that was fun, but it was not over a particularly scenic area. Just flying across the country on a domestic flight is gorgeous, however...it is too high for most picture taking though.

Jeffg53

Úlfar Finnbjörnsson is the man. He prepared superb meals for us each night in a tent in a lava field. On the flights, it helps to have Hans Strand around guiding the pilot. I know that getting the helicopter there is horrendously expensive but it is a vastly superior platform to a fixed wing plane. Most of my aerials were taken about 200 meters up.

stpf8

Jeff, it's so nice to be able to see a lot of photographs at once in your working gallery. Again, the patterns made by partial snow cover are terrific.

Jeffg53

Thanks Steve. Glad you like the working gallery, only a few will make it my my site permanently but I wanted to show the full lot for a while. I do think that I was incredibly lucky with the timimg and light on the day. There were two other flights after mine, one got flat light, the other rain.