The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Test M8 75cron vs G1 45-200

peterv

Now I know this is apples and pears...

I wanted to see the difference between the long Panasonic kitlens and my beloved Leica 75/2...

All photo's were shot at 160 ISO and f4. It's dark here, the exposure time was a bit long; around 1/90...

The M8 DNG's were developed in Aperture, the G1 RW2's in Silkypix. No sharpening applied.

It's hard to show on the web, this is the best I could do for now. I have more to come.

My conclusion is... Oh well, see for yourself...

First the M8 than the G1 both @ 100%

Cheers, Peter

Last edited:

barjohn

Peter,
You don't say whether you used a tripod or not. There seems to be more motion blur with the M8 than with the G1 thus making the G1 look sharper. However, if shot with a tripod, then there is just a difference in lens sharpness. I actually prefer the look of the G1 though it tends to shoot about 1/3 stop higher than indicated in my experience so far.

peterv

Hi John,
this was all done handheld. Perhaps the image stabilizer in the 45-200 made the difference...

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
Sorry, but I'm confused. Why are there 4 images in each post? Can you please give a more specific list/description of each image? Which are M8, which are G1? Are all photos at f4? Are they 100% crops, or full (down-rezed) images?

I'm very interested in this comparison, so would really appreciate any additional info on these.

Thanks,
Mike

barjohn

Mike,
With Safari if you hold your cursor over the image it gives you the file name so you can tell which camera took the image.

Essentially the order on each is M8 the G1 then M8 crop then G1 crop so 4 per group.

I hope that helps.

peterv

Hi Mike,

yes, all photo's are shot at f4 160 ISO around 1/90 as stated above. John's reply was completely correct.

In general, the M8 75 cron combo is, as could be expected, imho more sharp, and has richer contrast. I like the way the cron renders the colours; a bit more warm.

That said, I also think that the 45-200 is quite a good lens! You get a lot more options in angle of view because it's a zoom, and you get auto focus. The price of this zoomlens is 10% of the cron's...

Cheers, Peter

barjohn

Peter, the difference in contrast is, I think just due to the fact that the camera overexposes by about a third of a stop. Try dialing in -1/3 and see the difference. I did minor exposure change in LR and a couple of other minor tweaks.

Last edited:

peterv

John, that's interesting. The M8 had -0,3 exposure compansation dialed in, and the G1 was set at zero. The M8 looks a bit overexposed where as the G1 is a bit under...

Last edited:

barjohn

On the first image (your first, my second) I just dialed in -1/3 exposure. On my first and your second, I dialed in -1/3, brightness to +19, contrast to +17, clarity to +56, vibrance to +25 and saturation to +10. No other changes. To my eyes the G1 images look better but it could be due to the slightly out of focus images from the M8 due to motion blur.

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
Hi Mike,

yes, all photo's are shot at f4 160 ISO around 1/90 as stated above. John's reply was completely correct.

In general, the M8 75 cron combo is, as could be expected, imho more sharp, and has richer contrast. I like the way the cron renders the colours; a bit more warm.

That said, I also think that the 45-200 is quite a good lens! You get a lot more options in angle of view because it's a zoom, and you get auto focus. The price of this zoomlens is 10% of the cron's...

Cheers, Peter
Thanks Peter. I'm surprised to see such a large difference in DOF, since both lenses were set to 75mm and f4. Look at the ship on the right in the 2nd set of photos.

Is it possible that the two lenses were not focused equally, or is there really this big of a difference in DOF between the two, even at the same aperture?

Thanks for posting this interesting comparison.

Mike

peterv

Mike, the 75 cron on the M8 has the FOV of a 100 mm on a 24x36 sensor. In order to get the same FOV on the G1, I used somewhere around 50 mm on the 45-200.

It is quite possible that the two lenses were not focused equally. The other thing is the sensor of the M8 being larger and thus giving less DOF.

There's also a fair chance that the 75 cron just draws OOF areas different than the 45-200.

Hope this helps, Peter

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
Thanks Peter - yes, of course that makes sense. I was mistakenly thinking this was a 75 cron vs kit-lens test (both mounted on the G1). I forgot that you used the M8 for the 75 cron.

I'd be interested to see a comparison of the 75 cron vs the 45-200, both mounted on the G1, shooting a similar scene. That would show the relative differences in the lenses, which would be interesting to me.

I really appreciate the info you have posted. From this, so far I can conclude that the G1 produces nice sharp images, and the 45-200 is a good value lens. I can also conclude that the M8 still has an advantage in producing shallow DOF images, due to the larger sensor size.

I have the M8, and may add a G1 as a "backup" and more portable AF camera to compliment the M8.

Mike