The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Images with new 45-200

Howard

I am impressed with many of the photos taken with 45-200 lens, that are posted in this thread. These photos demonstrate that the G1 with 45-200 in capable hands can produce high IQ photos at high ISO's hand held.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Just as a general comment from my very limited use so far (less than 100 frames with it) it appears it is definitely optimized for the long (200mm) setting at mid focus ranges. It is stunningly good even wide open at this end. However, IQ seems to dip to more like a typical consumer zoom in the 45 through 150 range. Still very good, especially for a $350 long range zoom with IS, but not not stunningly good.

Regardless, IMO it is a *must have* lens if you own the camera...

:thumbs:

Diane B

Just as a general comment from my very limited use so far (less than 100 frames with it) it appears it is definitely optimized for the long (200mm) setting at mid focus ranges. It is stunningly good even wide open at this end. However, IQ seems to dip to more like a typical consumer zoom in the 45 through 150 range. Still very good, especially for a $350 long range zoom with IS, but not not stunningly good.

I was waiting to hear that here. Guess I'll go for it and decide on other lenses later. Still, of course, waiting for mine from Canada--hoiday put a crimp in shipping I'm sure.

Diane

fordfanjpn

Bill,
Just to add to the accolades, your two photos are stunning.
Thanks Howard. I see that you are in Los Angeles. I have to admit, after being in Japan for 22+ years, I've lately been feeling a little homesick for LA. I'll be looking forward to seeing some of your pics.

Bill

fordfanjpn

Bill,

lucky and gifted! what a combination :clap:

Thank you so much for sharing, and I feel that you are right... 2009 is going to be a great year, if character building!

Kind Regards

Brian
Thanks Brian. I hope I don't build too much character. My wife already thinks I'm quite a character as it is! :rolleyes:

Bill

Very interesting! One might even say one buys a 400/5.6 (eff. FL), and gets a usable coverage of the other range as a bonus. I´m old enough to have used one of those Novoflex FollowFocus 400/5.6 for birds (a bazooka-like lens with a pistol grip; would get you arrested in an instant today...:eek:).

I far prefer the best IQ at the long end on this type of lens, so this is what I wanted to hear; I´m ordering one!

Too bad mine won´t come with a Mt Fuji view.....:rolleyes:

Terry

For people not used to Panansonic, they have an extended zoom range that is NOT an interpolated digital zoom. By going into this mode you get a smaller sized file from the center of the sensor. If you are taking a long zoom shot that you know you will crop (i.e. really needed a longer lens), at least in this mode you get metering that was done off the framing you want not the full frame.

mark1000

For people not used to Panansonic, they have an extended zoom range that is NOT an interpolated digital zoom. By going into this mode you get a smaller sized file from the center of the sensor. If you are taking a long zoom shot that you know you will crop (i.e. really needed a longer lens), at least in this mode you get metering that was done off the framing you want not the full frame.

EZ zoom can be a life saver just when you need that little bit extra reach and don't mind the smaller file size, i use it all the time, nice feature brought over from the Panny bridge camera's.

Mark.

barjohn

How do you get the EZ menu option to not be grayed out? I can't find any mode where it isn't grayed out.

peterv

After doning some testing at various focal lengths, I agree that the 45-200 can be used between 150 and 200 without hesitation. This lens handles the OOF areas quite nicely, too.

368 mm...

Last edited:

mark1000

How do you get the EZ menu option to not be grayed out? I can't find any mode where it isn't grayed out.
Could be that you are set to RAW, it don't work in that mode, JPG only i'm afraid.

On the subject of EZ zoom, i did this in a hurry when i was testing EZ and DZ just to see the outcome.

792mm + 2X DZ

Mark.

Diane B

I'm glad youall are doing all the heavy lifting for me LOL. I'm reading the pdf manual and have handled the camera so at least know when I read the manual, what buttons are where, but I'm still waiting. This thread has pretty much convinced me to buy the 45-200--many seem out of it (was checking B & H and 17th St--both OOS) but I know the Wolfe store in Charlotte had 2 on the shelves when I tried the camera so even though I've never done business with them, I might just drive down there next week after I get the camera and buy one of them (assuming they still have them). There must be a lot of demand for the lens--none on ebay, none at any of the usual stores I check.

Diane

Terry

I'm glad youall are doing all the heavy lifting for me LOL. I'm reading the pdf manual and have handled the camera so at least know when I read the manual, what buttons are where, but I'm still waiting. This thread has pretty much convinced me to buy the 45-200--many seem out of it (was checking B & H and 17th St--both OOS) but I know the Wolfe store in Charlotte had 2 on the shelves when I tried the camera so even though I've never done business with them, I might just drive down there next week after I get the camera and buy one of them (assuming they still have them). There must be a lot of demand for the lens--none on ebay, none at any of the usual stores I check.

Diane
Panasonic has it in stock. It is listed at full price on Panasonic.com. We have an employee discount program and Panasonic is one of the cpmpaies included in our plan, so if you or a family memberworks for a large corporation you also may have access.

Diane B

prodigital told me they have about 20 on the shelf.
Thanks, just checked their store. They 'say' 3 in stock, but.... My G1 has been shipped so after I get it and see how the 14-45 works out, I'll likely order it--cheaper than most anywhere--$20 less and free shipping. It will cost me that much to drive to Charlotte LOL.

Diane

back alley

doh, i should have mentioned that was last week.

i ordered one on the 21st. and they screwed up the shipping and i now have to wait till next tuesday for delivery.