The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anyone using the new Olympus 75-300 II?

benroy

Subscriber Member
Anyone out there using the latest rendition of the Olympus 75-300, version II?
Don't need the words as much as pics...very interested in seeing results.

Roy Benson

dhsimmonds

I would quite like to see these myself! In particular I would like to know if anyone has done a straight comparison between the Panasonic 100-300 and the new Oly mZuiko 75-300 Mkll. ;)

Last edited:

benroy

Subscriber Member
Test run: OM-D/75-300II @ ISO 400 and a shutter speed of 800th. Hand-held...my 80 year old hands aren't as steady as they used to be...so the AF did a pretty nice job of bailing me out in the extreme focal lengths. Processed in PS6...light sharpening as I do with all my images...nothing done out of my ordinary processing.

I'm impressed with results...for internet sharing, just fine in my estimation. Left to right: 75mm, 100mm, 200mm, 300mm...all exposures between 6.3-7.1

I'll see how they look on 11x17s tonight.

Roy Benson

Last edited:

Knorp

Hey Roy, I knew I could count on you ... :)
The files look nice and clean, not much CA if any at all.

Thanks for posting.
All the best.

dhsimmonds

Thank you Roy, they all look just fine to me! Oh, and I am not too far behind you in the veteran stakes. :thumbup:

benroy

Subscriber Member
RAW processed llx17s look good...pleasantly surprised...lens will not replace the Nikon or Canon 70-200s, but for walk-around and internet sharing, it's a keeper.

Roy Benson

benroy

Subscriber Member
July 4...7:30AM...Early AM walk-around. 75-300II w/OM-D. All hand-held.

Left to right: Pics 1 and 2@300mm. Pic 3@210mm. Pic 4@180mm.

Roy Benson

Last edited:

benroy

Subscriber Member
My neighbor's Honda...75-300II w/OM-D...like earlier images, uncropped with minimal RAW processing...hand-held.

Last edited:

benroy

Subscriber Member
Showing the flag on July 4...75-300II on OM-D...early AM...hand-held, mostly wide open...4.5 at 75mm, and down to 6.3 at 150-300.

I like this lens...light, compact, sharp...AF is accurate. This lens is fine for "old fartographers" like myself who are mainly walking around in bright sun...not for available (black cat in the coal bin) light...not for sports photographers shooting inside. Caveat: to paraphrase Will Rogers: I've never used a lens that I didn't like...and that includes this one.

Roy Benson

Last edited:

Knorp

July 4...7:30AM...Early AM walk-around. 75-300II w/OM-D. All hand-held.

Left to right: Pics 1 and 2@300mm. Pic 3@210mm. Pic 4@180mm.

Roy Benson
Smashing colours Roy and that lizard is just fab ! Love it !

Kind regards.

benroy

Subscriber Member
last sharing...anything else would be repetitious...my shooting range is very limited (as are my photographic skills)...all with the 75-300II/OM-D..thanks for the "likes"...

Time for some more wide-ranging soul to step in and share.

Roy Benson

Last edited:

Knorp

Hi Roy,

As I'm still quit happy with my pany 100-300 I don't feel the need to replace it yet.
Hoping for some one to do the honours and make the comparison.

All the best.

benroy

Subscriber Member
k-hawwinkler: very nice bird pics...where are you? Where did you find the birds? Are there more pics coming?

Roy Benson

k-hawinkler

k-hawwinkler: very nice bird pics...where are you? Where did you find the birds? Are there more pics coming?

Roy Benson

Hi Roy,

Thanks for your kind words.

Well, according to the license plate on my car I live in the "Land of Enchantment",
precisely in the mountains of Northern New Mexico. :)

These birds occasionally are visiting my back yard.

I have many such pictures, shot mainly with Leitz/Leica lenses of M, V, and R type,
on cameras of various makes, M9, D800E, NEX-7, OM-D E-M5, so using manual focus.

Lately I also have been using the new Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 75-300mm f/4.8-6.7 II Lens.
If everything works out well it can produce nice images on my OM-D E-M5 + FW 1.7 + VF-4.
AF focus seems a bit slow though and it tends to lock on the background behind small objects, like hummingbirds.

I can post hopefully a few more photos, taken with the lens of the subject of this thread.
But I have almost exhausted my storage allocation on this forum it seems. :eek: