The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

VF-4 on the E-M5

dhsimmonds

Today, I purchased the latest VF-4 electronic viewfinder for use with my OM-D's E-M5 and the 60mm macro.

I want to place the camera very low or on the ground to get shots of bugs etc and swivel the viewfinder so that I can focus and compose by looking down. I can't easily lay on my stomach any more and even if I could I doubt if I could get up again!

First of all I needed to update both of my E-M5 bodies as the VF-4 needs the latest 1.7 firmware to work. I was amazed to find that my firmware was 1.5 so well out of date. The VF-4 fitted and works perfectly, offering 2.36 million dots resolution so better than the built in EVF. It has a substantially larger screen than the VF-3 and has it's own adjustable diopter switch.

I am really looking forward to using this beauty! :)

Knorp

Hi Dave,
I'd like to hear from you how you get along with this VF-4.
K-H has also one on his OM-D.
Still, I think I'll wait for the E-M6 ....

All the best.

k-hawinkler

Hi Bart,

Thanks.
Still hoping to eventually get my M and using the VF-4 on it! :D
I love the VF-4 on the OMD though. Can't go back! :)

View attachment 74607
M9 + 75/2 Summicron

View attachment 74602
Olympus OM-D E-M5 + VF-4 + Leitz Telyt-V 280/4.8 Version 3 from 1975.
I tried to exploit the specific characteristics of that lens. :)

Last edited:

Knorp

Hi Bart,

Thanks.
Still hoping to eventually get my M and using the VF-4 on it! :D
I love the VF-4 on the OMD though. Can't go back! :)

View attachment 74602

Olympus OM-D E-M5 + VF-4 + Leitz Telyt-V 280/4.8 Version 3 from 1975.
I tried to exploit the specific characteristics of that lens. :)
Karl, I happen to have this lens as well :)
Q: did you compensate for the visoflex and if so, how ?

Thank you !

Kind regards.

Godfrey

Hi Karl,
I believe you - after all the adapter is basically just a tube, how could it not fit the OM-D ?

All the best.
There can be clearance issues with the bayonet flange. I've seen this with some other adapters ... they'd fit the G1 but not the Pen E-P1/P2. Most of the time, a small file will fix any such issues.

G

Willi Kampmann

Hi,

do you still use the E-M5 with the VF-4 attached or have you upgraded to the E-M1 in the meantime? Once having looked through the VF-4, can you even go back to the E-M5’s EVF? I’m thinking about buying the VF-4 for my E-M5, but I’d want to use it only on occasion because it obviously adds weight and size. For example, I’d like to keep it at home when I’m out traveling. Can you still enjoy the E-M5’s EVF or do you get spoiled from the VF-4? I’m a bit afraid I might not like my E-M5 anymore and feel the need to get the E-M1 once I’ve seen the VF-4 …

Also, how does this affect the handling? I imagine it might be more comfortable and easier to hold steady?

Thanks