The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Canon 50/1.2 for LTM: worth having?

phobus

One thing to consider is that the size and weight of the Canon RF lenses are still noticeably less than that of the FD/FL lenses. Anyway, for kicks - heres one from my 50/1.2 LTM with an extension tube mounted on the G1 w/Milich adapter :) (at 1.2)

K

kiloran

Phobus your link is broken for me, if it is for everyone else as well here is the image:

Significant creative possibilities 8)

scho

I'm going to try this little beauty on the G1 as soon as I get the FD adapter. I don't know what the image quality will be like, but the relatively small size of this fast f/1.2 lens should make it easy to handle on the G1.

scho

Finally received the Rayqual FD adapter and tried it with the Canon 50mm f/1.2 on the G1. Here are a few shots taken with this combo, all at f/1.2 except the first "self portrait" taken at f/5.6.

monza

Carl, I like the way that lens renders...how does the camera/lens combination feel? Is it a little front-heavy? Could you do a side shot of the G1 with lens and adapter?

Interestingly, I just received my Canon Lens Converter B today. Add an LTM adapter, and presto, it becomes a Canon FD --> Leica M adapter. But I don't have any FL or FD lenses yet to play with. :)

V

Vivek

Could be interesting for portraits, Carl. It appears that CA could be a problem.

Are you using a long enough hood on it?

scho

Carl, I like the way that lens renders...how does the camera/lens combination feel? Is it a little front-heavy? Could you do a side shot of the G1 with lens and adapter?

Interestingly, I just received my Canon Lens Converter B today. Add an LTM adapter, and presto, it becomes a Canon FD --> Leica M adapter. But I don't have any FL or FD lenses yet to play with. :)
Robert, The 50mm 1.2 balances quite nicely on the G1 - not a huge lens like the 25mm Summilux. Here is a top view shot with the lens mounted via the Rayqual FD-MFT adapter. The latter is anodized aluminum and very light weight.

Regards,
Carl

scho

Could be interesting for portraits, Carl. It appears that CA could be a problem.

Are you using a long enough hood on it?
Vivek, I don't have a hood for this lens yet, but I will need one for sure. There is some CA, but not too bad and I didn't correct for it in the raw conversions (LR 2.2).

Regards,
Carl

R

robertasumendi

Since the Canon Lens Converter B was mentioned here in this thread, I thought I'd mention that this adapter doesn't allow you to change the aperture... you're shooting wide-open all the time. No idea why Canon would design such a thing for their own lenses but there you go. Might be a good footnote to add to the adapter chart under LTM+FD.

monza

The Converter B with work with FL or FD lenses, but with FD, the aperture lever on the back of the lens must be secured in the stopped down position.

Not required with FL lenses...