Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Adapter Availability?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Adapter Availability?

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger 9 View Post
    And if you have problems with the one from CameraQuest, you kvetch to Stephen and he sends you another one. If you have problems with the one from China... well, how's your Mandarin?
    Heh, well I don't know Mandarin, but the Cirrus rep sure knew English. He's the one that gave me a bundle deal on the two adapters.

I've bought some nicely-made adapters from China and others that were so rough that I couldn't use them without fear of damaging the camera. The real problem is that regardless of the brand name on the box (or website), you never know what OEM factory will make the next one you buy: the first one you get might be great, and then a few weeks later you might order another of the same model from the same vendor and get one that's kack.
    Cirrus seems to be solid. They get high marks on the Canon sites, by far the largest market for lens adapters.

aero

Hi Jim,

Sorry to bother you publicly (and to the forum), but have you received my emails? I sent in a paypal for the M->G1 but didn't hear back.

I'm excited to get started shooting on my G1!

All the best,
    -Dan, Los Altos CA.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Hi Jim,

Sorry to bother you publicly (and to the forum), but have you received my emails? I sent in a paypal for the M->G1 but didn't hear back.

I'm excited to get started shooting on my G1!

All the best,
    -Dan, Los Altos CA.
    I believe he is traveling.

Ranger 9

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    I believe he is traveling.
    And I think we've established that his name is John; his posts are signed "jlm," but I believe those are his initials.

I assume we're both talking about Mr. Milich here...

aero

Thanks guys - appreciate the update on *John*.

All the best,
    -AD

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kiloran View Post
    If you're in the UK SpeedGraphic appear to have them in stock:

http://www.speedgraphic.co.uk/prod.a...Thirds+Adaptor

Given the weakness of the Pound at the moment it might even make sense for those of you the other side of the Pond to import - Ģ125 ~= $175
    Quote Originally Posted by Per Ofverbeck View Post
    Good tip, Kiloran; thank you! I had planned to call Novoflex as soon as they reopen after the holidays, but this one was even cheaper than Novoflex themselves...

So, my order is now with them. Canīt wait to get that adapter and start testing....
    Quote Originally Posted by kiloran View Post
    It arrived today so I would hope yours will be with you very soon. Its nicely built but the instructions are poor - make sure you pay careful attention to aligning adapters and lenses - see my "Jammed Novoflex adapter" thread (fortunately now resolved after 3 anxious hours
    Well, there seems to be a spell cast over all the adapters....

As I wrote, I ordered mine from SpeedGraphics on Sunday 4th, it was listed as being "in stock", and I got a prompt confirmation.

Only, nothing seems to be moving, the order is still only "confirmed, the adapter is now listed as "on order", and my CC hasnīt been charged (some consolation...).

I feel kind of "sidetracked"; if it was in stock when I ordered, they should have had one to ship right away.

To top it up, Carl Schofield has all but sold me on the 25/1.4, but the Panasonic FT -> MFT adapter is ALSO out of stock everywhere...

Ranger 9

Well, there seems to be a spell cast over all the adapters....
    Maybe all the existing manufacturers read the post about the Chinese being able to make ones just as good for a few dollars apiece and decided that since there's no way to compete with that, they might as well abandon the business...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm still waiting for my Novoflex adapter so I know what you mean.
    V/r John

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for casting such a spell. I'll be more careful with posting the obvious in the future.

Methinks perhaps it's more likely a matter of underestimating initial demand, early adopters who jumped on the G1 bandwagon tend to own adaptable lenses.

Not to mention it appears the existing distribution channels are perhaps underperforming...I just got off the phone with HP Marketing and the person that I spoke with couldn't tell me status of the Novoflex M adapter, I have to wait til Monday because 'Bob is traveling.' Seems like product availability status should be something sales people should be aware of...

Regarding the Panasonic DMW-MA1, I will refer a very reliable supplier who has them in stock (also has G1 batteries and the 45-200 in stock, just talked to him.) However, he is closed today; he will be available to take orders starting tomorrow.

He requested: "If you are going to make a post please do it near the end of the day, then I can respond to people tomorrow."

So, check this thread later this afternoon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    Sorry for casting such a spell. I'll be more careful with posting the obvious in the future.
    Yes, of course itīs ALL your fault... Wish I could make my own adapter, like you...

Methinks perhaps it's more likely a matter of underestimating initial demand, early adopters who jumped on the G1 bandwagon tend to own adaptable lenses.
    I would wonder how many of the G1 buyers so far that are really in the market for adapters? I have a feeling that this forum is a center (or even hotbed) for quite a substantial part of the demand. It seems rather obvious that Panasonic intended the camera for a quite different market segment, people who donīt own old quality glass, and donīt think theyīll survive using a lens on manual... So probably they were taken by surprise - or maybe weīre a minuscule minority in a sea of "soccer moms".

Not to mention it appears the existing distribution channels are perhaps underperforming...I just got off the phone with HP Marketing and the person that I spoke with couldn't tell me status of the Novoflex M adapter, I have to wait til Monday because 'Bob is traveling.' Seems like product availability status should be something sales people should be aware of...
    Here in Sweden itīs absolutely hopeless. Nobody at Panasonic knows a thing, and the Swedish Novoflex rep told me on the phone theyīll not even be carrying these adapters....

Post Thanks / Like

I'm very curious how the G1 is doing among the larger audience of mass consumers. My biased perception from this forum and others is that the camera is doing very well and is becoming something of a hot item. But really we have no idea. I know the 45-200mm lens is hard to find, and one could surmise that it's selling as fast as they are produced because it is in demand across the globe. But again, who knows. We could be a tiny minority, small active fish in a big empty pond.

Nonetheless, for Panasonic (and Olympus and perhaps Leica) the G1 popularity shows great demand for a such a product among serious photographers, whether anticipated or not.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Here is the source I mentioned earlier.

Concept Photo Arts, Bill Wilby
    Phone 250.442.5633
    email: contact (at) contactphotoarts.com

He's got the DMW-MA1 adapters, G1 batteries, and 45-200 in stock. He's in British Columbia, Canada so there is the exchange rate advantage, but he drives across the border to ship via USPS, so no customs delays or hassles or pricey shipping.

Again, he is out today...so don't expect a response til tomorrow.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

John's GM adapter arrived this afternoon (Many thanks John!). Beautifully machined as with the GT adapter. You can see the locking pin on the right side of the adapter in the following photo with the ZM Planar mounted on the G1. The pin is unlocked by sliding the small peg that protrudes from the side of the mount back towards the camera. The mount can be left on the camera if so desired for changing M mount lenses.

Shot taken with the Zeiss 50mm f/2 Planar at f/2.0, hand held.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Carl, do you have a shot of the adapter by itself? Nice Planar shot

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Carl, do you have a shot of the adapter by itself? Nice Planar shot
    GM on top of GT adapter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I would wonder how many of the G1 buyers so far that are really in the market for adapters? I have a feeling that this forum is a center (or even hotbed) for quite a substantial part of the demand. It seems rather obvious that Panasonic intended the camera for a quite different market segment, people who donīt own old quality glass, and donīt think theyīll survive using a lens on manual... So probably they were taken by surprise - or maybe weīre a minuscule minority in a sea of "soccer moms".
    Per, your observation may be correct. There is a great deal of excitement in this forum regarding G1 adapters and quality lenses. When I purchased the G1, it replaced my Sony R1 which my daughter will be using. The fact that I can use the G1 with quality high speed lenses is a huge bonus that I never considered. I believe I have seen some references to adapters in the dpreview.com Panasonic forum, a forum that seems to much more activity than this one. While I have no quality lenses I can use with the G1, I may take the plunge. The kit lens seems fine but is very slow.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Those Milich adapters are interesting. Must be heavy. I'd prefer anodized, tho.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Those Milich adapters are interesting. Must be heavy. I'd prefer anodized, tho.
    They have a certain "heft" to them.

If someone wants one, there is one for sale in the buy/sell section

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Weight is a consideration of mine and I think I prefer the lighter adapters though I know John does excellent work.
    V/r John

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

For those that are weight conscious, here are the Milich adapter weights:

GT 85g
    GM 67g

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Carl, how much does the Panasonic 4/3 adapter weigh by comparison?

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

aero:

i just got a chance to check the forum: before i left on vacation, i shipped out all prepaid orders. i file them by last name, so i don't have reocrd or recall of "Dan and/or Aero" to tell if i sent out yours. i'll be back mid-next week.

the adapters are made of one piece of bearing bronze, hence the weight. the outside diameter is a small as it can be and the inside as large. it is extremely durable

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Carl, how much does the Panasonic 4/3 adapter weigh by comparison?
    Monza, The Panasonic DMW-MA1 weighs 83g.

Regards,
    Carl

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Carl, this should eliminate weight being any concern with the Milich.

-Robert

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

From the pics posted here, the Milich adapters look like real works of art, and now we find that weight is not an issue either.

Iīve already ordered a Novoflex one from SpeedGraphic in Britain; theyīre out of stock at present, but I donīt want to flip around too much with my order. I wouldnīt hesitate to order a Milich one if I were free to choose right now.

However, I have a question to those who already own and use one: isnīt reflections from the shiny surfaces of the adapter a problem? (I mean the inside, of course). After all, camera innards and lens backsides are usually painted matte black.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

One would think any bit of stray reflection is going to reduce contrast. Anodizing would probably be a good idea...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

One would think any bit of stray reflection is going to reduce contrast. Anodizing would probably be a good idea...
    I guess some matte black paint in the right places would do the trick. With most film cameras (LTM ones excluded), one could open the back and shutter and look directly for any bright spots around the mounted lens. With digital, that option is gone...

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

True, matte black paint is better. How about anodize the whole thing and paint the inside.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

So far I haven't seen any obvious problems with reflections (eg. ghosting, flare, reduced contrast, etc) using the adapters. Also depends on the lens mounted and how much of the internal flange surface is exposed. With the 50 planar I had mounted in the GM adapter about a 3/16" ring around the inner flange was exposed. Certainly wouldn't hurt to have a matte black inner finish.

Ranger 9

Could somebody put the adapter on the back of a lens, off the camera, and take a picture of the backside?

I think you'd see that with most lenses, the lens mount flange inserts far enough into the adapter that very little of the reflective surface is left exposed. So I'd think there shouldn't be much risk of reflection, except maybe from extremely off-axis light sources. But that's only a theory...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here is what the G1 looks like with a Novoflex adapter and the Minolta 40/2 lens and the Nion 50/1.8 and 28/2.8.
    Last edited by barjohn; 23rd August 2009 at 20:55.
    V/r John

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Barjohn, you need to clean the dust of those lenses

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes, I noticed that after I posted the pictures.
    V/r John

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger 9 View Post
    Could somebody put the adapter on the back of a lens, off the camera, and take a picture of the backside?

I think you'd see that with most lenses, the lens mount flange inserts far enough into the adapter that very little of the reflective surface is left exposed. So I'd think there shouldn't be much risk of reflection, except maybe from extremely off-axis light sources. But that's only a theory...
    Here are some rear shots of 3 lenses mounted to the Milich GM adapter. Only the inner surface of the adapter around the rear lens element is exposed.

50mm Planar

35mm Biogon

28mm Ultron

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Carl, how does the lens release work on the Milich M adapter?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Carl, how does the lens release work on the Milich M adapter?
    Robert, There is a slot in the adapter and you simply slide the locking pin back toward the camera to release the lock. You can see it in that last photo of the Ultron. It is quite tiny so you need to use your fingernail to hold it back while releasing the lens. A larger pin would have been easier. I've also noticed a slight amount of play when the lens is locked on when focusing the lens, but not enough to interfere with focusing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that only aluminum and aluminum alloys can be anodized.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MikeScecina View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that only aluminum and aluminum alloys can be anodized.
    I saw your name on this thread and said to myself did Mike buy a G1

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I did Terry, I did, and I like it.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

some info:
    only aluminum can be anodized, but the adapters are bronze, which can be blackened, but the process is not optimum. the adapteres could be made of aluminum and anodized (I may consider that for future editions) but aluminum is not a durable. it would weigh less: about 30 g)
    most of the leica lenses have bright brass elements, part of the focusing helicoid, that occupy some of the interior volume, probably left bright as any blackening would wear off. seems to not be complained about.
    I may consider blackening the interior, non-wear areas of the adapter anyway.

there have been a few reports of early Leica LTM adapters not fitting the GM adapter due to tolerance variation. I have found zeiss and leica M lenses and any of my LTM adapters to work perfectly.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

by the way, i am developing a new version adressing what concerns have been noted. when they are ready, I will exchange new for old at no cost
    please continue to list your concerns...so far:
    spring function in M bayonet to fit lenses out of tolerance
    aluminum, black anodized for black interior and light weight
    slightly larger lens release button
    more tolerance on lens detent pin
    ???

jm

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

John, could these be done in a chrome finish outside, and matte black paint or powder coat on the inside? These look very nice, and the continuing improvements are great too, especially the exchange.

Post Thanks / Like

John, could these be done in a chrome finish outside, (...)
    Eh, no thanks, please.
    I have the GT version and really like the bronze appearance. The improved new version of the GM adapter sounds great but the outside is just fine as it is. I guess it is all personal and in the end I think I'll be happy with whatever John decides is reasonably.

I have been waiting with ordering the GM adapter as I understood it wouldn't be available until Jan 14 again. John, will you announce here when the new version is ready for shipping? kindest, /Jonas

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The m to mFT adapter fits nicely on my 50 pre-asph but won't on my 90AA. Can't get the adpater to turn enough to set the pin. Frank

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    by the way, i am developing a new version adressing what concerns have been noted. when they are ready, I will exchange new for old at no cost
    please continue to list your concerns...so far:
    spring function in M bayonet to fit lenses out of tolerance
    aluminum, black anodized for black interior and light weight
    slightly larger lens release button
    more tolerance on lens detent pin
    ???

jm

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    The m to mFT adapter fits nicely on my 50 pre-asph but won't on my 90AA. Can't get the adpater to turn enough to set the pin. Frank
    It is interesting Frank that I have the problem with my 50 pre-asph although a different 50 lux also pre-asph late version worked fine. Was yours coded? Mine was but the one that I know does work was not.

My 28 cron was fine as was a 35 cron.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jonas View Post
    I have the GT version and really like the bronze appearance.
    Here is a comparison of a raw adapter vs. chrome finish. I prefer the chrome.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

John,
    Will it be possible to adapt the M to G1 adapter so that we can mount our OUFROs? I know a lot of us have them and were hoping to use them. I would be glad to send you mine so that you can see why it doesn't fit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

being a Leica philistine I had no idea what a OUFRO could possibly be... google gently suggested i may be looking for an afro...

still no idea why you would use an OUFRO... but giggle at the thought of making a lens adaptor to mach you hairstyle

love and peace
    K

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kevinparis View Post
    being a Leica philistine I had no idea what a OUFRO could possibly be... google gently suggested i may be looking for an afro...

still no idea why you would use an OUFRO... but giggle at the thought of making a lens adaptor to mach you hairstyle

love and peace
    K
    Vivek reminded us when he was doing his custom adapters. It is a small extension tube that has a Leica M mount on either side and by extending allows you to focus closer than the lens states. It was shown to be useful on the G1 because you can see your focus on the live view screen so you don't really need to worry about the focus scale on the lens.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

And OUFRO is useful since most M lenses don't focus all that close....