The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Adapter Availability?

jlm

Workshop Member
i think you grossly underestimate the difficulty in making one of these adapters and the tight tolerances required. by comparison, i paid $250 to have the hose changed on my dishwasher, $400 to have the lamp changed on my car. by contrast, it takes a $200k machine and an extremely skilled operator to machine the adapter not to mention the difficulty in getting it right, and it is a speculative venture on top of that.
I am among the ever shrinking breed of craftsmen who still takes pride in quality, tricky work, and hopefully is making a living at it.
it seems many people today are jaded, having seen amazing devices, like an I-phone, for relatively little denero. how could my dishwasher hose replacement be so expensive?

jlm

Workshop Member
jack: i can't send anymore until jan 14th, would that do? you might lean on mike hatam in the meantime...his shipped today

jm

Terry

jack: i can't send anymore until jan 14th, would that do? you might lean on mike hatam in the meantime...his shipped today

jm
His M mount shipped or his LTM?

I didn't realize the M mounts were ready. Bummer. Please let me know when I should pony up on the M mount one. The LTM is silky smooth!

monza

i think you grossly underestimate the difficulty in making one of these adapters and the tight tolerances required. by comparison, i paid $250 to have the hose changed on my dishwasher, $400 to have the lamp changed on my car. by contrast, it takes a $200k machine and an extremely skilled operator to machine the adapter not to mention the difficulty in getting it right, and it is a speculative venture on top of that.
I am among the ever shrinking breed of craftsmen who still takes pride in quality, tricky work, and hopefully is making a living at it.
it seems many people today are jaded, having seen amazing devices, like an I-phone, for relatively little denero. how could my dishwasher hose replacement be so expensive?
Most people do grossly underestimate how much time, effort, and money go into product development and manufacturing.

Being in the product design business, working with mechanical and electrical engineers, I'm actually amazed how relatively inexpensive things are.

But I'm also amazed at how cheap things can be built in Asia. Every MacBook chassis currently built (as of the new models in October) for example, are machined. One by one. If one looks at the volume that Apple produces, one can only imagine how many CNC machines it would take, working 24 hours a day, to turn out a few hundred thousand of these every month.

I received two Cirrus adapters in the mail today -- M42 to 4/3, and Minolta MD to 4/3. The quality is excellent. The price for both, including shipping from China, was $56.

G

guidomo

There's two main things you need to consider when comparing costs:

(1) The economics of large numbers. Millions of Macbooks vs maybe 100 adapters that John will sell mean that for him development and administration make a much bigger share on top of the production cost.

(2) Cost of living and wages in different parts of the world. Remember China is still cheap in comparison to any 1st world country.

monza

There's two main things you need to consider when comparing costs:

(1) The economics of large numbers. Millions of Macbooks vs maybe 100 adapters that John will sell mean that for him development and administration make a much bigger share on top of the production cost.

(2) Cost of living and wages in different parts of the world. Remember China is still cheap in comparison to any 1st world country.

Of course, but remember, the millions of MacBooks are machined one by one; they aren't injection molded which is the usual method for something that sells in the millions.

And yes, when an employee is only paid a few cents a day...which is why all those iPhones and Macbooks are built in China.

BTW, the Minolta MD - 4/3 adapter I spoke about from Cirrus is the same one that CameraQuest sells for $175 (with the allen wrench, etc.)

Back to the earlier post, if µ4/3 becomes a reasonably big seller, China will make these adapters and they'll be $30 or so. That's just reality.

Last edited:

barjohn

I just received my Panasonic DMW-MA1 adapter and I already had my Fotodiox adapter for my Nikon glass. Put my 50/1.8 on and I am very impressed. I can't wait to take some shots outdoors with it and see how it renders the image. From what I can see so far, it has a much shallower depth of field wide open than the kit lens so I will be interested in comparing. Focus, even without the 10x being used seems pretty easy.

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member

jm
WOOHOO!!!!!!!!

:D

Jack - I'll certainly bring my adapter to the workshop, and let others try it out while we are there.

Mike

R

Ranger 9

BTW, the Minolta MD - 4/3 adapter I spoke about from Cirrus is the same one that CameraQuest sells for $175 (with the allen wrench, etc.)
And if you have problems with the one from CameraQuest, you kvetch to Stephen and he sends you another one. If you have problems with the one from China... well, how's your Mandarin?

I've bought some nicely-made adapters from China and others that were so rough that I couldn't use them without fear of damaging the camera. The real problem is that regardless of the brand name on the box (or website), you never know what OEM factory will make the next one you buy: the first one you get might be great, and then a few weeks later you might order another of the same model from the same vendor and get one that's kack.

monza

And if you have problems with the one from CameraQuest, you kvetch to Stephen and he sends you another one. If you have problems with the one from China... well, how's your Mandarin?
Heh, well I don't know Mandarin, but the Cirrus rep sure knew English. He's the one that gave me a bundle deal on the two adapters.

I've bought some nicely-made adapters from China and others that were so rough that I couldn't use them without fear of damaging the camera. The real problem is that regardless of the brand name on the box (or website), you never know what OEM factory will make the next one you buy: the first one you get might be great, and then a few weeks later you might order another of the same model from the same vendor and get one that's kack.
Cirrus seems to be solid. They get high marks on the Canon sites, by far the largest market for lens adapters.

A

aero

Hi Jim,

Sorry to bother you publicly (and to the forum), but have you received my emails? I sent in a paypal for the M->G1 but didn't hear back.

I'm excited to get started shooting on my G1!

All the best,
-Dan, Los Altos CA.

Terry

Hi Jim,

Sorry to bother you publicly (and to the forum), but have you received my emails? I sent in a paypal for the M->G1 but didn't hear back.

I'm excited to get started shooting on my G1!

All the best,
-Dan, Los Altos CA.
I believe he is traveling.

R

Ranger 9

I believe he is traveling.
And I think we've established that his name is John; his posts are signed "jlm," but I believe those are his initials.

I assume we're both talking about Mr. Milich here...

A

aero

Thanks guys - appreciate the update on *John*.

All the best,
-AD

If you're in the UK SpeedGraphic appear to have them in stock:

http://www.speedgraphic.co.uk/prod.asp?i=19226&1=Novoflex+Micro+Four+Thirds+Adaptor

Given the weakness of the Pound at the moment it might even make sense for those of you the other side of the Pond to import - £125 ~= $175
Good tip, Kiloran; thank you! I had planned to call Novoflex as soon as they reopen after the holidays, but this one was even cheaper than Novoflex themselves...

So, my order is now with them. Can´t wait to get that adapter and start testing....
It arrived today so I would hope yours will be with you very soon. Its nicely built but the instructions are poor - make sure you pay careful attention to aligning adapters and lenses - see my "Jammed Novoflex adapter" thread (fortunately now resolved after 3 anxious hours :eek:
Well, there seems to be a spell cast over all the adapters....:(

As I wrote, I ordered mine from SpeedGraphics on Sunday 4th, it was listed as being "in stock", and I got a prompt confirmation.

Only, nothing seems to be moving, the order is still only "confirmed, the adapter is now listed as "on order", and my CC hasn´t been charged (some consolation...:rolleyes:).

I feel kind of "sidetracked"; if it was in stock when I ordered, they should have had one to ship right away.

To top it up, Carl Schofield has all but sold me on the 25/1.4, but the Panasonic FT -> MFT adapter is ALSO out of stock everywhere...:angry:

R

Ranger 9

Well, there seems to be a spell cast over all the adapters....:(
Maybe all the existing manufacturers read the post about the Chinese being able to make ones just as good for a few dollars apiece and decided that since there's no way to compete with that, they might as well abandon the business...

monza

Sorry for casting such a spell. I'll be more careful with posting the obvious in the future. ;)

Methinks perhaps it's more likely a matter of underestimating initial demand, early adopters who jumped on the G1 bandwagon tend to own adaptable lenses.

Not to mention it appears the existing distribution channels are perhaps underperforming...I just got off the phone with HP Marketing and the person that I spoke with couldn't tell me status of the Novoflex M adapter, I have to wait til Monday because 'Bob is traveling.' Seems like product availability status should be something sales people should be aware of...

Regarding the Panasonic DMW-MA1, I will refer a very reliable supplier who has them in stock (also has G1 batteries and the 45-200 in stock, just talked to him.) However, he is closed today; he will be available to take orders starting tomorrow.

He requested: "If you are going to make a post please do it near the end of the day, then I can respond to people tomorrow."

So, check this thread later this afternoon. :)

Sorry for casting such a spell. I'll be more careful with posting the obvious in the future. ;)
Yes, of course it´s ALL your fault...:D Wish I could make my own adapter, like you...

Methinks perhaps it's more likely a matter of underestimating initial demand, early adopters who jumped on the G1 bandwagon tend to own adaptable lenses.
I would wonder how many of the G1 buyers so far that are really in the market for adapters? I have a feeling that this forum is a center (or even hotbed) for quite a substantial part of the demand. It seems rather obvious that Panasonic intended the camera for a quite different market segment, people who don´t own old quality glass, and don´t think they´ll survive using a lens on manual... So probably they were taken by surprise - or maybe we´re a minuscule minority in a sea of "soccer moms".

Not to mention it appears the existing distribution channels are perhaps underperforming...I just got off the phone with HP Marketing and the person that I spoke with couldn't tell me status of the Novoflex M adapter, I have to wait til Monday because 'Bob is traveling.' Seems like product availability status should be something sales people should be aware of...
Here in Sweden it´s absolutely hopeless. Nobody at Panasonic knows a thing, and the Swedish Novoflex rep told me on the phone they´ll not even be carrying these adapters....