The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Adapter Availability?

andrewteee

I'm very curious how the G1 is doing among the larger audience of mass consumers. My biased perception from this forum and others is that the camera is doing very well and is becoming something of a hot item. But really we have no idea. I know the 45-200mm lens is hard to find, and one could surmise that it's selling as fast as they are produced because it is in demand across the globe. But again, who knows. We could be a tiny minority, small active fish in a big empty pond.

Nonetheless, for Panasonic (and Olympus and perhaps Leica) the G1 popularity shows great demand for a such a product among serious photographers, whether anticipated or not.

monza

Here is the source I mentioned earlier.

Concept Photo Arts, Bill Wilby
Phone 250.442.5633
email: contact (at) contactphotoarts.com

He's got the DMW-MA1 adapters, G1 batteries, and 45-200 in stock. He's in British Columbia, Canada so there is the exchange rate advantage, but he drives across the border to ship via USPS, so no customs delays or hassles or pricey shipping.

Again, he is out today...so don't expect a response til tomorrow.

scho

John's GM adapter arrived this afternoon (Many thanks John!). Beautifully machined as with the GT adapter. You can see the locking pin on the right side of the adapter in the following photo with the ZM Planar mounted on the G1. The pin is unlocked by sliding the small peg that protrudes from the side of the mount back towards the camera. The mount can be left on the camera if so desired for changing M mount lenses.

Shot taken with the Zeiss 50mm f/2 Planar at f/2.0, hand held.

Howard

I would wonder how many of the G1 buyers so far that are really in the market for adapters? I have a feeling that this forum is a center (or even hotbed) for quite a substantial part of the demand. It seems rather obvious that Panasonic intended the camera for a quite different market segment, people who don´t own old quality glass, and don´t think they´ll survive using a lens on manual... So probably they were taken by surprise - or maybe we´re a minuscule minority in a sea of "soccer moms".
Per, your observation may be correct. There is a great deal of excitement in this forum regarding G1 adapters and quality lenses. When I purchased the G1, it replaced my Sony R1 which my daughter will be using. The fact that I can use the G1 with quality high speed lenses is a huge bonus that I never considered. I believe I have seen some references to adapters in the dpreview.com Panasonic forum, a forum that seems to much more activity than this one. While I have no quality lenses I can use with the G1, I may take the plunge. The kit lens seems fine but is very slow.

barjohn

Weight is a consideration of mine and I think I prefer the lighter adapters though I know John does excellent work.

scho

For those that are weight conscious, here are the Milich adapter weights:

GT 85g
GM 67g

jlm

Workshop Member
aero:

i just got a chance to check the forum: before i left on vacation, i shipped out all prepaid orders. i file them by last name, so i don't have reocrd or recall of "Dan and/or Aero" to tell if i sent out yours. i'll be back mid-next week.

the adapters are made of one piece of bearing bronze, hence the weight. the outside diameter is a small as it can be and the inside as large. it is extremely durable

From the pics posted here, the Milich adapters look like real works of art, and now we find that weight is not an issue either.

I´ve already ordered a Novoflex one from SpeedGraphic in Britain; they´re out of stock at present, but I don´t want to flip around too much with my order. I wouldn´t hesitate to order a Milich one if I were free to choose right now.

However, I have a question to those who already own and use one: isn´t reflections from the shiny surfaces of the adapter a problem? (I mean the inside, of course). After all, camera innards and lens backsides are usually painted matte black.

monza

One would think any bit of stray reflection is going to reduce contrast. Anodizing would probably be a good idea...

One would think any bit of stray reflection is going to reduce contrast. Anodizing would probably be a good idea...
I guess some matte black paint in the right places would do the trick. With most film cameras (LTM ones excluded), one could open the back and shutter and look directly for any bright spots around the mounted lens. With digital, that option is gone...

scho

So far I haven't seen any obvious problems with reflections (eg. ghosting, flare, reduced contrast, etc) using the adapters. Also depends on the lens mounted and how much of the internal flange surface is exposed. With the 50 planar I had mounted in the GM adapter about a 3/16" ring around the inner flange was exposed. Certainly wouldn't hurt to have a matte black inner finish.

R

Ranger 9

Could somebody put the adapter on the back of a lens, off the camera, and take a picture of the backside?

I think you'd see that with most lenses, the lens mount flange inserts far enough into the adapter that very little of the reflective surface is left exposed. So I'd think there shouldn't be much risk of reflection, except maybe from extremely off-axis light sources. But that's only a theory...