The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Panasonic 45-200 question

peterv

Now I apologize in advance if this question sounds stupid, but this is the longest lens I ever owned, and I'm new to O.I.S.

This afternoon I did some tests outside.

The focal length was set around 185, aperture around f5,5 , shutter 1/320 and ISO around 160.

I'm quite happy with the results, but when I view at 100% there's this blur that I don't recognize from my M lenses.

Is it the O.I.S. ?

BTW, I think the 'effect' looks kind of 'interesting', but I'd like to know what it is...

Thanks, Peter

Last edited:

barjohn

I think I may have seen the same thing but I haven't yet shot enough to be sure. Also, what happens if you turn OIS off or use one of the other settings besides number 1?

simonclivehughes

One thing to bear in mind is that you're shooting at nearly 300mm effective focal length and so any small movement will translate to blur. OIS is good, but you still need to consider shutter speed and 1/320th is not that fast for this (effective) focal length.

Cheers,

peterv

John, I will do some more testing hopefully tomorrow.

Guy, I was thinking the same thing, compressed air...
Of course that's not what we see here, but it sure looks like it.

peterv

One thing to bear in mind is that you're shooting at nearly 300mm effective focal length and so any small movement will translate to blur. OIS is good, but you still need to consider shutter speed and 1/320th is not that fast for this (effective) focal length.

Cheers,
Thanks, that's very true, but the areas that are in focus don't seem to show this phenomenon.

Another 100% to show what I mean...

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Man that looks exactly like heat thermals. I shoot here in the desert with long glass sometimes and that is exactly the effect. Right above the guy's hat on the left is so obvious.

Guy Mancuso

Cheers,
Simon exactly a good point you are at 300mm and this is when the heat thermals i experience here in the desert. Now it could be just unstable air in the cold , not sure. But the compression of the lens does bring things like this on, but usually it is heat. Very strange but maybe the cold can do this also, not sure.

peterv

Guy, you're right.

The phenomenon occurs were the sunlight hits the background. The same OOF areas in the shade look blurry, but without the heat effect.

It's freezing here, but the sun is at a very low angle on a bright day, so that must be the answer.

That said, I wonder what this would have looked loke with O.I.S. switched of, and no sharpening applied.

All in all I conclude that the lens is just fine, it's my inexperience with long lenses...

Here's another example, the left was hit by sunlight, the right was in the shade.

Thanks everyone!

Last edited:

Brian Mosley

This is a wild suggestion, but are these in-camera jpegs? have you got the associated RAW files? could it be noise removal rendering OOF areas strangely?

Panasonic are known to be 'adventurous' with their image processing... just wondering whether this is a by-product?

Kind Regards

Brian

peterv

As for the first photo in this thread, I think it's a combination of motion blur and shallow DOF.

Another lesson learned :salute:

peterv

This is a wild suggestion, but are these in-camera jpegs? have you got the associated RAW files? could it be noise removal rendering OOF areas strangely?

Panasonic are known to be 'adventurous' with their image processing... just wondering whether this is a by-product?

Kind Regards

Brian
Hi Brian, thanks for the input.

I was thinking along those same lines, so I developed the RW2 in Silkypix.

On my monitor (24 inch CD) there's really not much difference. No strange jpg-in-camera-cooking-artifacts.

Looks like Panasonic did quite a decent job with the camera software!

Here's the Silkypix screenshot...

Cheers, Peter

Last edited:

Brian Mosley

Well well well... curiouser and curiouser!

Did you notice any shimmering when you took the shot? I guess it may not show with the EVF? Worth checking with/without OIS enabled, but probably atmospherics?

Very interesting, thanks for sharing

Kind Regards

Brian

Looks like heat effects even though I know it is not but has that same look of heat thermals.
Well, heat effects certainly can occur in winter; they´re driven by temperature gradients more than absolute temperatures.

So, a backlit scene with lots of cars and people on a cold winter´s day with little wind can, and often does, show the phenomenon. Like Guy, I do think that´s what we´re seeing here.

peterv

Brian, I didn't notice the shimmering. But than I don't have tele-eyes...

What do you find curious?

I think we solved this one, definitely a case of inexperience on my part :rolleyes:

Guy Mancuso

Yea that is exactly what i thought , okay mystery solved. Per hit the correct term with temperature gradients. That last photo is a great example.

Brian Mosley

Hi Peter,

no - I can quite believe it's atmospherics... Just curious how pronounced these are without you noticing at the time through your viewfinder.

Kind Regards

Brian

Diane B

If these are 100% crops, would you have been able to see that in the VF? Interesting.

I'm not as interested in this lens to start with as the kit lens and going to wait for the 20 f/1.7 and maybe look for a good 3rd party, but I've been seeing a lot of shots on other forums and hadn't seen this phenomenen but I doubt similar circumstances have come up in those shots.

Diane