The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Scorpion under UV light

This is my first attempt at photographing a scorpion under UV light. For those not in the know, scorpions fluoresce under UV light.The scorpion pictured here is a Urodacus manicatus which is one of the most common species found throughout Australia.

Photographed with a Panasonic G2 and Canon FD 50mm f3.5 macro lens.

thrice

I think, based on the purple in the background, that he used a blacklight to get it to fluoresce in the visible spectrum.

I think, based on the purple in the background, that he used a blacklight to get it to fluoresce in the visible spectrum.
Exactly right. I held a UV / black light flashlight directly above the scorpion in the first pic and to the side of the scorpion in the second pic. This rather compact black light was not particularly bright so exposure times were long. Exposure for the first pic was about 23 seconds. I'm glad that the subject stayed still for so long and didn't wander off. Though that's a nice thing about arachnids - they tend to stay still for long periods of time!