Site Sponsors
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 151 to 200 of 215

Thread: GX7, the Swiss Army Camera?

  1. #151
    Senior Member biglouis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,124
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GX7, the Swiss Army Camera?

    I wonder what posters now feel about the GX7 given the Olympus announcement.

    Personally, even though I swore off m43rds I have to say I find the GX7 most attractive.

    LouisB

  2. #152
    Member Matix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    167
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GX7, the Swiss Army Camera?

    Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    I wonder what posters now feel about the GX7 given the Olympus announcement.

    Personally, even though I swore off m43rds I have to say I find the GX7 most attractive.

    LouisB
    It appeals to me also Louis, the proof of the pudding as they say, will be in the eating. It will be good to see how both never cameras turn out in real life use. I did try the E-M5 for a couple of months, the the ergonomics of the GH3 won me over, and I have not had any issues with the IQ, which to my eye and to my needs is on par with the images I was getting out of the Oly.

    In a perfect world I would like to have all of them, there are certainly subjective advantages inherent in all of the new breed of cameras, just have to have the right one for the kind of photograhy one does.

    The GX7, like the GH3 seems to push all the right buttons for me, and I have Panasonic m4/3 lenses, no 4/3, and the 2 axis IBIS will suffice for the rare times I have a non m4/3 lens on the camera. The lesser IBIS will certainly help with lenses like the 7-14 and 25mm 1.4 if needed, and the occasional need for a fill flash being available appeals too...

    So, we are all correct, the need is personal, it is great that we have options and can take advantage of them..... I cannot wait.

    Phil
    Photo-Matix Imagery - Capturing Life with a camera
    Panasonic Lumix GX8, Lumix G85, Lumix GX7, and various lenses.
    Gallery: http://photos.photo-matix.com.au

  3. #153
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: GX7, the Swiss Army Camera?

    Quote Originally Posted by Matix View Post

    The GX7, like the GH3 seems to push all the right buttons for me, and I have Panasonic m4/3 lenses, no 4/3, and the 2 axis IBIS will suffice for the rare times I have a non m4/3 lens on the camera. The lesser IBIS will certainly help with lenses like the 7-14 and 25mm 1.4 if needed, and the occasional need for a fill flash being available appeals too...

    So, we are all correct, the need is personal, it is great that we have options and can take advantage of them..... I cannot wait.

    Phil
    HI Phil
    Wise Words. I've had several of the Panasonic µ43 and several of the Olympus ones, I'm not sure if it's sentiment or suitability, but I just prefer the Oly cameras and lenses. Clearly they both do the job.

    As you say, great that we have the options, and wonderful that µ43 has turned into such a mature and effective system.

    all the best

    Just this guy you know
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  4. #154
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    3,848
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GX7, the Swiss Army Camera?

    Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    In case anyone hasn't seen this yet:

    Panasonic GX7 Review
    And now this:

    Olympus OM-D E-M1 Rolling Field Report

  5. #155
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,343
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: GX7, the Swiss Army Camera?

    Here's an interesting size comparison, shot just a few minutes after I left the shop (the GX7 hadn't arrived yet when I was there). The size difference between the GX7 and the E-M1 might appear bigger in real life than on paper. The larger lens on the Olympus obviously strengthens the impression, but I'm leaning increasingly strong towards buying both.


  6. #156
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: GX7, the Swiss Army Camera?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Here's an interesting size comparison, shot just a few minutes after I left the shop (the GX7 hadn't arrived yet when I was there). The size difference between the GX7 and the E-M1 might appear bigger in real life than on paper. The larger lens on the Olympus obviously strengthens the impression, but I'm leaning increasingly strong towards buying both.
    HI Jorgen
    Whilst I quite see your point, having used a Pen 5 for a week or so, I'd rather have it as a smaller second body then the GX7 - of course, if you want the video then the GX7 is a no-brainer - if not, then the better IBIS on the Pen is the no-brainer (especially if you're going to use 3rd party lenses).

    The plug in EVF is so different from the VF2 on earlier Pens - it locks properly, and it's huge and really nice to use . . . . . and it has a working eye sensor. So, better resolution, no fiddling with buttons, and no falling off either. . . and for times when you don't need it the camera is smaller than the GX7.

    . . . also there's the familiarity of the Olympus buttons and menus.

    all the best

    Just this guy you know

  7. #157
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,343
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: GX7, the Swiss Army Camera?

    Does the E-P5 use the same battery as the E-M1?

  8. #158
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,928
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GX7, the Swiss Army Camera?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Here's an interesting size comparison, shot just a few minutes after I left the shop (the GX7 hadn't arrived yet when I was there). The size difference between the GX7 and the E-M1 might appear bigger in real life than on paper. The larger lens on the Olympus obviously strengthens the impression, but I'm leaning increasingly strong towards buying both.
    You're more evil than I normally imagine, Jorgen. ;-)

    I just checked: E-P5, E-M5 and E-M1 all take the BLN-1 battery. That's a strong case to stick with just Olympus ... same remote, same battery, similar IBIS system, similar menus, etc. BUT the GX7 EVF, body shape, and control layout is very appealing.

    The E-M1 will be here within a few weeks. I'll work with that a while and see what else I want to do equipment wise. There might be large changes in the near future ...

    G

  9. #159
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    3,848
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GX7, the Swiss Army Camera?

    The E-M1 looks huge, but it's really not.

    Jorgen are the buttons (or perhaps the 'button feel') on the E-M1 improved over the E-M5?

  10. #160
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,343
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: GX7, the Swiss Army Camera?

    Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    The E-M1 looks huge, but it's really not.

    Jorgen are the buttons (or perhaps the 'button feel') on the E-M1 improved over the E-M5?
    I don't own an E-M5 and use one only occasionally, but to me, they felt as good as on any of my Nikon cameras. A bit softer but a "longer push". The biggest improvement vs. the E-M5 to me is that it's easier to get a firm grip on the camera which again makes it easier to move the fingers around and push the buttons. Buttons seem to be larger, there are more buttons and switches and the body is more "sculpted", also apart from the protruding grip.

  11. #161
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: GX7, the Swiss Army Camera?

    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    You're more evil than I normally imagine, Jorgen. ;-)

    I just checked: E-P5, E-M5 and E-M1 all take the BLN-1 battery. That's a strong case to stick with just Olympus ... same remote, same battery, similar IBIS system, similar menus, etc. BUT the GX7 EVF, body shape, and control layout is very appealing.

    The E-M1 will be here within a few weeks. I'll work with that a while and see what else I want to do equipment wise. There might be large changes in the near future ...

    G
    As you say:same
    Also, having used the Pen 5 for a week or so, it works nicely and handles well. I guess the colour will also be more consistent.
    But if I hadn't given away my OMD I would have waited.

    Just this guy you know

  12. #162
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Knorp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,994
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GX7, the Swiss Army Camera?

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    But if I hadn't given away my OMD I would have waited.
    I say, that's one hell of an excuse, I'll try remembering this one ...

    :dh2:

    All the very best.
    Bart ...
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  13. #163
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: GX7, the Swiss Army Camera?

    Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    I say, that's one hell of an excuse, I'll try remembering this one ...

    :dh2:

    All the very best.
    Hmmm well, but it does have to be true(ish). Sim has nabbed my OMD, I have he's Sony A65 to sell (don't want a Sony A65 do you?). The proceeds will go towards the cost of the E-P5. Which I do like better than I expected.

    Just this guy you know
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  14. #164
    Senior Member Brian Mosley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,394
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    17

    Re: GX7, the Swiss Army Camera?

    Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    The E-M1 looks huge, but it's really not.

    Jorgen are the buttons (or perhaps the 'button feel') on the E-M1 improved over the E-M5?
    The complete feel of the E-M1 is dramatically improved over the E-M5. It's quite a shock to pick up a camera which is so similar in size, and yet feels more generous in proportion.

    You really need to try it to appreciate the difference. The buttons, switches and dials are all solid, tactile and responsive. I'm off to another launch party with more Olympus Photo Safari Group members this evening in London - I hope to try the remote viewfinder via a smartphone for shooting at odd angles on a tripod... I miss the fully articulating lcd on my E-System cameras.

    Cheers

    Brian
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  15. #165
    Senior Member biglouis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,124
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GX7, the Swiss Army Camera?

    Jorgen, thanks for posting that picture.

    As Jono keeps on saying, it is down to personal preference. I do like the form factor of the GX7. With the 12-35 it would suit me down to the ground.

    Decisions, decisions.

    LouisB
    -----
    My new book "Whitechapel in 50 BUildings", Flikr Stream, www.louisberk.com
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  16. #166
    Member Matix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    167
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GX7, the Swiss Army Camera?

    Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    Jorgen, thanks for posting that picture.

    As Jono keeps on saying, it is down to personal preference. I do like the form factor of the GX7. With the 12-35 it would suit me down to the ground.

    Decisions, decisions.

    LouisB
    Tomorrow, I get mine tomorrow... my name was first in pre-order, opted for the body but looks like I will upgrade to get the 20mm as well for $200 extra. Both the 25mm 1.4 and 12-35mm are sitting waiting in my little Crumpler bag... first report tomorrow.

    Did I say, I get mine tomorrow???

    Phil
    Photo-Matix Imagery - Capturing Life with a camera
    Panasonic Lumix GX8, Lumix G85, Lumix GX7, and various lenses.
    Gallery: http://photos.photo-matix.com.au
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

  17. #167
    Senior Member biglouis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,124
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GX7, the Swiss Army Camera?

    Quote Originally Posted by Matix View Post
    Tomorrow, I get mine tomorrow... my name was first in pre-order, opted for the body but looks like I will upgrade to get the 20mm as well for $200 extra. Both the 25mm 1.4 and 12-35mm are sitting waiting in my little Crumpler bag... first report tomorrow.

    Did I say, I get mine tomorrow???

    Phil
    Phil, I really do look forward with interest to any captures you put up.

    LouisB

  18. #168
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Prague, Czech Republic
    Posts
    291
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GX7, the Swiss Army Camera?

    I give it a try the other day at the camera shop.
    The camera is normaly available but I dont think that they will sell lot for the asking price here (25990 CZK body only - ca 1350 USD / ca 1010 EUR.. also Czech customers are very conservative - if it is not Canon/Nikon DSLR than it just doesnt work with them).
    I played with the silver version and it felt somehow plastic.
    Focusing is almost instant.
    I expected a bigger finder.
    The main problem was the grip - too big for my average size hands so no space/very uncomfortable for my little finger.
    Oly E-M1 is coming to town next week (39 990 CZK body only - more than 2000 USD.. ).
    And Sony Alpha 3000 was also there but I didnt have time to play with it.

  19. #169
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    315
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GX7, the Swiss Army Camera?

    Following up from my question on the 12th August....

    Now there are a few in customers hands has anyone reported improvements in the sensor when compared with Panasonics such as the GH2?

    Yes, I know the body is different and it now has IBIS, but are we getting essentially the same sensor?

    Tony

  20. #170
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,115
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GX7, the Swiss Army Camera?

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    HI Jorgen
    Whilst I quite see your point, having used a Pen 5 for a week or so, I'd rather have it as a smaller second body then the GX7 - of course, if you want the video then the GX7 is a no-brainer - if not, then the better IBIS on the Pen is the no-brainer (especially if you're going to use 3rd party lenses).

    The plug in EVF is so different from the VF2 on earlier Pens - it locks properly, and it's huge and really nice to use . . . . . and it has a working eye sensor. So, better resolution, no fiddling with buttons, and no falling off either. . . and for times when you don't need it the camera is smaller than the GX7.

    . . . also there's the familiarity of the Olympus buttons and menus.

    all the best
    I think the "no brainer" depends on the needs. Personally I find the silent mode of the GX7, the lower price and the fact it does come with a built in high resolution view finder with full color Adobe RGB gamut a no brainer.

    It's not like the GX7 doesn't have any IBIS and the IBIS on the Panasonic is not like it's bad. So you have a slight advantage on IBIS on the Pen5 at the expense of the other things.

    - Ricardo

  21. #171
    Senior Member ggibson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    743
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GX7, the Swiss Army Camera?

    Quote Originally Posted by raist3d View Post
    I think the "no brainer" depends on the needs. Personally I find the silent mode of the GX7, the lower price and the fact it does come with a built in high resolution view finder with full color Adobe RGB gamut a no brainer.

    It's not like the GX7 doesn't have any IBIS and the IBIS on the Panasonic is not like it's bad. So you have a slight advantage on IBIS on the Pen5 at the expense of the other things.

    - Ricardo
    Yeah, I completely agree. There are a lot more features to weigh between the Olympus and Panasonic models than just video vs IBIS: built-in viewfinder, focus peaking, weather sealing, wireless, silent mode, ETC video, live bulb, time-lapse, bounce flash, etc, etc, etc. Definitely down to personal preference which one you end up deciding on, however. GX7 for me.

    It's funny that image quality is almost a non-point between these m4/3 cameras since performance is all so similar. Even the first generation sensors are pretty close at lower ISOs. Must be why I've been satisfied with my lowly GF1 for so long, and why I'm still not convinced that the newest flock is enough to get me to spend the money on an "upgrade".
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/grahamgibson/
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  22. #172
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,868
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GX7, the Swiss Army Camera?

    WRT "no brainer":

    Having owned both, Oly and Panasonic m43 cameras in the past, I always loved and highly preferred my Oly's and never really liked my Pana's.

    With that in mind the EM1 is the clear object of desire and definite upgrade path for me, while I actually do not even consider the GX7 anymore. The GX7 might have one big advantage, it is very small, which for me is same time the biggest disadvantage as I want to handle a camera I can hold and operate more easily.

    Another example why one chooses a certain camera/brand and as already mentioned since IQ and features are pretty close, haptics, look and build quality become a very important part of the decision.

  23. #173
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,115
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GX7, the Swiss Army Camera?

    Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    WRT "no brainer":

    Having owned both, Oly and Panasonic m43 cameras in the past, I always loved and highly preferred my Oly's and never really liked my Pana's.

    With that in mind the EM1 is the clear object of desire and definite upgrade path for me, while I actually do not even consider the GX7 anymore. The GX7 might have one big advantage, it is very small, which for me is same time the biggest disadvantage as I want to handle a camera I can hold and operate more easily.

    Another example why one chooses a certain camera/brand and as already mentioned since IQ and features are pretty close, haptics, look and build quality become a very important part of the decision.
    I have also used both and my point is simply- the "no brainer" is a very personal choice. Yes, the EM1 is the clear object of desire *for you* (which you mentioned but you also wrote WRT the "no brainer"). That's great if you are so sure!

    All I am saying is, having the Olympus IBIS and the few other things hardly makes the Pen vs a gX7 a "no brainer," since the GX7 certainly presents some rather good value propositions too. That's all, nothing more. It's all to personal needs, wants and finances.

    Yes, the GX7 may not be for you, and it may be obvious but that doesn't take away that it's a great value proposition for many and excellent in its own right. Keep in mind I was talking in the context of a Pen5 comparison.

    - Ricardo

  24. #174
    Senior Member Brian Mosley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,394
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    17

    Re: GX7, the Swiss Army Camera?

    Hi Jono, I'm guessing that by "no brainer" you're suggesting "deciding factor" and Ricardo you are also correct, the deciding factor will certainly be guided by personal preference.

    I'm very pleased that we have competition and differentiation going on across the range. Also, that I can still find the E-PL1 available to buy on line. Great for all budgets.

    Cheers

    Brian

  25. #175
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Tokyo, Japan
    Posts
    280
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    34

    Re: GX7, the Swiss Army Camera?

    Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    Having owned both, Oly and Panasonic m43 cameras in the past, I always loved and highly preferred my Oly's and never really liked my Pana's.
    I just wish Panasonic would listen and allow English menus on the cameras purchased in Japan. Someone there is making some strange decisions and has driven me mostly to Oly after my GF1 and I'm happy with it. Even though it's not nearly as bad as owning two systems, when you take into account batteries/chargers/L-brackets/EVFs etc it's a bit of a pain to use both systems. Do you think we could convince Oly and Panasonic to get together and use the same batteries?
    Charles - flickr

  26. #176
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: GX7, the Swiss Army Camera?

    Quote Originally Posted by raist3d View Post
    All I am saying is, having the Olympus IBIS and the few other things hardly makes the Pen vs a gX7 a "no brainer," since the GX7 certainly presents some rather good value propositions too. That's all, nothing more. It's all to personal needs, wants and finances.
    Hi Ricardo
    'no brainer' - silly expression - and as I've been saying here and elsewhere, it depends on your personal requirements and needs.
    Personally, the E-M1 is the camera I've been waiting for ever since the E3 came out . . . finally it's arrived, and for my purpose and the english weather a small rugged µ43 camera with good IBIS and the ability to focus properly with both µ43 and 43 lenses is really what I wanted.
    As far as the Pen - shrug - I think it probably makes a nice small backup, and for me the optional (and very excellent) VF4 together with a familiar layout and menu structure and the great IBIS is relevant - of course, I quite understand that for others the inbuilt EVF and other features of the GX7 are more important.

    Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    WRT "no brainer":

    Having owned both, Oly and Panasonic m43 cameras in the past, I always loved and highly preferred my Oly's and never really liked my Pana's.
    Yes Peter - me too.

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Mosley View Post
    Hi Jono, I'm guessing that by "no brainer" you're suggesting "deciding factor" and Ricardo you are also correct, the deciding factor will certainly be guided by personal preference.
    Hi there Brian
    Yes indeed - and I wasn't suggesting for a second that it would be a 'no brainer' for others (or even a deciding factor ).

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Mosley View Post
    I'm very pleased that we have competition and differentiation going on across the range. Also, that I can still find the E-PL1 available to buy on line. Great for all budgets.
    Exactly - and wonderful that one can swap between one and the other without the trauma and expense of replacing whole lens systems.

    all the best

    Just this guy you know
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  27. #177
    Member Matix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    167
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GX7, the Swiss Army Camera?

    Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    Phil, I really do look forward with interest to any captures you put up.

    LouisB
    Well it is in my hands, battery is finally fully charged and tomorrow I will shoot some images. I have to say, it feels excellent in the hand.

    I opted for the black with 20mm 1.7 kit, a very good deal for an excellent combo as I saved $275 by buying the 20mm in the kit..

    Phil
    Last edited by Matix; 23rd September 2013 at 03:42.
    Photo-Matix Imagery - Capturing Life with a camera
    Panasonic Lumix GX8, Lumix G85, Lumix GX7, and various lenses.
    Gallery: http://photos.photo-matix.com.au
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  28. #178
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,928
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GX7, the Swiss Army Camera?

    Quote Originally Posted by Matix View Post
    Well it is in my hands, battery is finally fully charged and tomorrow I will shoot some images. I have to say, it feels excellent in the hand.

    I opted for the black with 20mm 1.7 kit, a very good deal for an excellent combo as I saved $275 by buying the 20mm in the kit..
    I look forward to hearing about your exploration of the GX7. :-)

    G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  29. #179
    Subscriber Member jotloob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    KEMPTEN / GERMANY
    Posts
    1,513
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    116

    Re: GX7, the Swiss Army Camera?

    Quote Originally Posted by Matix View Post
    Well it is in my hands, battery is finally fully charged and tomorrow I will shoot some images. I have to say, it feels excellent in the hand. . . . .
    Phil
    I got my GX7 on Saturday . Battery is fully charged and a spare is on order .
    I got the body only , in silver and it looks beautiful with the OLY 12mm WA .
    Yes , I must agree that body feels excellent in my hands as well .
    No comparison to the GX1 , which is a ladies camera . My hands are just too big for that little juwel .
    I expected the viewfinder to be a bit bigger , but people wearing glasses have trouble with all sorts of viewfinders .
    Regards . Jürgen .
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  30. #180
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,115
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GX7, the Swiss Army Camera?

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Mosley View Post
    Hi Jono, I'm guessing that by "no brainer" you're suggesting "deciding factor" and Ricardo you are also correct, the deciding factor will certainly be guided by personal preference.

    I'm very pleased that we have competition and differentiation going on across the range. Also, that I can still find the E-PL1 available to buy on line. Great for all budgets.

    Cheers

    Brian
    Pretty much. It's probably me bad, just what Jono/Ptomsu wrote sounded way too categorical and in general terms, but it may very well be just the way I read it.

    - Ricardo

  31. #181
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: GX7, the Swiss Army Camera?

    Quote Originally Posted by raist3d View Post
    Pretty much. It's probably me bad, just what Jono/Ptomsu wrote sounded way too categorical and in general terms, but it may very well be just the way I read it.

    - Ricardo
    HI Ricardo
    I can't speak for Peter - but I realise that what I wrote seemed too categorical - much more so than I felt. , so, in my case me bad not you bad
    all the best

    Just this guy you know

  32. #182
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,601
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: GX7, the Swiss Army Camera?

    I was mildly interested in the GX7 and as a result checkd out the battery. It is from the GF line if I am not mistaken and that too a new version of it. If this is correct, not much has changed with Panasonic (i will not be buying one).

  33. #183
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    A bit north of Copenhagen
    Posts
    1,522
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    569

    Re: GX7, the Swiss Army Camera?

    ...most of these samples do look rather good, I think, perhaps apart from the 7-14 pana..
    Panasonic Lumix GX7 sample images | Cameralabs
    Thorkil

  34. #184
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    143
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GX7, the Swiss Army Camera?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thorkil View Post
    ...most of these samples do look rather good, I think, perhaps apart from the 7-14 pana..
    Panasonic Lumix GX7 sample images | Cameralabs
    Thorkil
    These pics look good to me.

    I must say that the picture quality between some of the latest M43 models is really good and with very little differentiation. It will be down to the user preference, the ergonomic and user interface that sway the buyers.

    But it is really good to have options.
    Justin

  35. #185
    Member Matix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    167
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GX7, the Swiss Army Camera?

    Finally some time to run off a few shots.. work got in the way. Took a walk at lunch yesterday, a few shots. All in OOC JPG, certainly as good as the GH3, maybe some pixel peeping will tell more, but so far it seems to be great.

    Full size JPG are available just right click the image on this site. Any feeback appreciated, they are only quick shots, bright day, very little experimentation, lenses used, the new 20mm and 12-35mm.

    Photo-Matix Imagery | GX7 Test

    Phil

    Photo-Matix Imagery - Capturing Life with a camera
    Panasonic Lumix GX8, Lumix G85, Lumix GX7, and various lenses.
    Gallery: http://photos.photo-matix.com.au

  36. #186
    Senior Member hot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    2,170
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GX7, the Swiss Army Camera?

    Quote Originally Posted by jotloob View Post
    I got my GX7 on Saturday . Battery is fully charged and a spare is on order .
    I dislike to pay full price as first adopter ... I'll order within next weeks, price is falling ... now - € 100
    But I've spare batteries for GX7


  37. #187
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,601
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: GX7, the Swiss Army Camera?

    Having followed the price decline of the GX, I will be watching this closely. If a significant fall happens within a short time, may be. Good to know there are usable/affordable batteries available for it.

    In the meantime, i am studying the 6D closely. Any super sale (on top of the already ridiculous prices), I am there!

  38. #188
    Subscriber Member jotloob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    KEMPTEN / GERMANY
    Posts
    1,513
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    116

    Re: GX7, the Swiss Army Camera?

    Quote Originally Posted by hot View Post
    I dislike to pay full price as first adopter ... I'll order within next weeks, price is falling ... now - € 100
    Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Having followed the price decline of the GX, I will be watching this closely. If a significant fall happens within a short time, may be. Good to know there are usable/affordable batteries available for it.

    In the meantime, i am studying the 6D closely. Any super sale (on top of the already ridiculous prices), I am there!
    I do like to pay the full price , the higher the better , and also original expensive batteries . I hate to wait for a price fall .
    It is only important to have the GX7 now .
    Regards . Jürgen .
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  39. #189
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,601
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: GX7, the Swiss Army Camera?

    Hasselblad has some offerings for that thirst, i believe.

  40. #190
    Subscriber Member jotloob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    KEMPTEN / GERMANY
    Posts
    1,513
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    116

    Re: GX7, the Swiss Army Camera?

    Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Hasselblad has some offerings for that thirst, i believe.
    Yes LUNAR and STELLAR . Spend your money today .
    You can start saving money tomorrow .
    Regards . Jürgen .
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  41. #191
    Senior Member ggibson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    743
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GX7, the Swiss Army Camera?

    Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Having followed the price decline of the GX, I will be watching this closely. If a significant fall happens within a short time, may be.
    I'm also curious to see how used prices behave. It seems to me that m4/3 pricing is closely tied to sensor technology. New generation sensor cameras seem to typically hold their value for a longer time until something new comes along that eclipses it.

    The GF1 held its value for a long time, even after the GF2/3 came out because there was still nothing significantly better on the market. Once Olympus intro'd the Sony sensor cameras, prices fell more quickly.

    Similarly, the E-M5 has held its value very well since there hasn't been anything that has done much better. Even after the E-M1 was announced, I haven't see prices dropping too fast because the image quality is relatively the same. It's not just a "premium" model thing either, thinking about how fast prices of the E-P3 fell in just a few months because it used such an old sensor and new ones were right around the corner.

    In the case of the GX1, it was using the sensor from the G3... but it was quickly surpassed when the E-M5/E-PL5 came out two months later. Panasonic had barely gotten their premium GX1 into stores when Olympus' E-PL5 offered a similar package with a better sensor and image stabilization built-in.

    Now, the GX7 has come out using the newest Panasonic sensor that performs as well as (or better) than the 16MP Olympus is using. Olympus has a while (maybe 18 months) before they step up to a wholly different and better sensor technology. And the GX7 has Panasonic's latest and greatest sensor, which may be improved in subsequent models, but not significantly surpassed.

    This is just my interpretation of how the demand side of the m4/3 market is working, but I guess my point is that I don't think the price of the GX7 will be dropping anywhere near as fast as the GX1. Thinking about what else could be released that would entice all those potential GX7 owners, I doubt that either Panasonic or Olympus will release something much better for at least a year or two.

  42. #192
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    315
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GX7, the Swiss Army Camera?

    "the GX7 has come out using the newest Panasonic sensor"

    Ah, a comment on the sensor (yes I am a bore in being obsessed more with sensors than body shape).

    I thought the GX7 is using the same one as the GH2. I guess if it is then it is still using the newest but is it not odd that M43 sensor development is so slow?

  43. #193
    Member Matix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    167
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GX7, the Swiss Army Camera?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tonygamble View Post
    "the GX7 has come out using the newest Panasonic sensor"

    Ah, a comment on the sensor (yes I am a bore in being obsessed more with sensors than body shape).

    I thought the GX7 is using the same one as the GH2. I guess if it is then it is still using the newest but is it not odd that M43 sensor development is so slow?
    Actually no, the GX7 has a new sensor not just a rehash but a redesigned and improved... In my initial tests, much better resolving of Reds and Yellows.. a failing on most sensors.

    I am working on a series of images, comparing the GH3 and GX7 which I have only had for 4 days, all of them work days!! Heading out today for some fun...

    Check this link for details.

    GX7 Review and Sensor Pics
    Last edited by Matix; 28th September 2013 at 00:19.
    Photo-Matix Imagery - Capturing Life with a camera
    Panasonic Lumix GX8, Lumix G85, Lumix GX7, and various lenses.
    Gallery: http://photos.photo-matix.com.au
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  44. #194
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    315
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GX7, the Swiss Army Camera?

    Thanks Matix.

    Tony

  45. #195
    Member Matix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    167
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GX7, Compared to GH3 sample images

    Well it rained on my parade today, but during some dry spells I ran off a bunch of comparison shots.. the GH3 and the GX7, same shot, same settings and same len.

    This was really hard, not having two of a particular lens there is a lot of swapping and with light rain happening I had to watch the sensor or optics did not get any drops on them.

    To be fair, and to not ruin all my settings on both cameras, I shot most of them with Ai (Auto) Setting, and some with P. Take a look, 11 pairs of images, GH3 first, then GX7. No RAW, I do not have a compatible converter for the GX7 yet. All shots OOC JPEG, will try for RAW tomorrow, my C1-7 and ACDSee Pro 6 do not support GX7 yet.

    Lenses used, 25mm 1.4 and 12-35mm 2.8, I will try for more tomorrow in bad light, evenings etc. These were cloudy day shots, but bright enough. Click INFO to see the Exif, right click to download full size original OOC shots.

    Here is the link... Photo-Matix Imagery | GX7 vs GH3

    Phil

    Sample shot..GX7 with 12-35mm
    Photo-Matix Imagery - Capturing Life with a camera
    Panasonic Lumix GX8, Lumix G85, Lumix GX7, and various lenses.
    Gallery: http://photos.photo-matix.com.au
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

  46. #196
    Senior Member ggibson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    743
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GX7, the Swiss Army Camera?

    Matix, thanks so much for providing some images to compare. I played with the second one (train crossing/flowers) in Photoshop, pushing exposure up +3 and pulling highlights to see if I could see any differences in dynamic range. There was essentially no difference between the two images aside from maybe a different white balance. These are just jpegs though, as you said, so until adobe supports the GX7 we won't know whether RAW tells a different story.

    One other thing I'm wondering right now is whether dynamic range holds up between the two on higher ISOs. I frequently like to pull up shadows, so I'd like to see how well the GX7 does so at ISO 800 or 1600.

  47. #197
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,928
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GX7, the Swiss Army Camera?

    Quote Originally Posted by ggibson View Post
    Matix, thanks so much for providing some images to compare. I played with the second one (train crossing/flowers) in Photoshop, pushing exposure up +3 and pulling highlights to see if I could see any differences in dynamic range. There was essentially no difference between the two images aside from maybe a different white balance. These are just jpegs though, as you said, so until adobe supports the GX7 we won't know whether RAW tells a different story.

    One other thing I'm wondering right now is whether dynamic range holds up between the two on higher ISOs. I frequently like to pull up shadows, so I'd like to see how well the GX7 does so at ISO 800 or 1600.
    Lightroom 5.2 supports the GX7 raw files now.

    G

  48. #198
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    315
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GX7, the Swiss Army Camera?

    LR 5.2. Good.

    With all due respect to Matix's enthusiasm I don't think we'll learn much until the comparisons are done with RAW files.

    If I trade my GH2 for a GX7 I am looking for about five hundred pound's worth of difference!!

    Tony

  49. #199
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,601
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: GX7, the Swiss Army Camera?

    Current US pricing is $899/ body. It will drop further.

  50. #200
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    315
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GX7, the Swiss Army Camera?

    Over here about 800 UKP.

    And I'd clear about 300 UKP on eBay with my GH2

    Tony

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •