The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GX7, the Swiss Army Camera?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I'm leaning towards buying both. The GX7 with the 20mm f/1.7 looks like an excellent, compact go-anywhere package, and they will sell it as a kit here for just $200 more than body only. I agree with Godfrey about the parallel to E/L1, and this time around, the Panasonic has even more to offer, like tiltable viewfinder and superior video.

What may break the deal for me with the Panasonic is the AF. If the Olympus is very much superior in this area, using the Panasonic might become frustrating. I'm trying to find time to try out both cameras next week, since my camera shrink has demos.

raist3d

I'm leaning towards buying both. The GX7 with the 20mm f/1.7 looks like an excellent, compact go-anywhere package, and they will sell it as a kit here for just $200 more than body only. I agree with Godfrey about the parallel to E/L1, and this time around, the Panasonic has even more to offer, like tiltable viewfinder and superior video.

What may break the deal for me with the Panasonic is the AF. If the Olympus is very much superior in this area, using the Panasonic might become frustrating. I'm trying to find time to try out both cameras next week, since my camera shrink has demos.
Unless you shoot a lot of moving things, the AF of the GX7 will be fine. In fac,t Panasonic is promising focus down to -4 EV so that should still make it very fast for focusing in typical low light scenarios.

I would boil this down to this: You have 4/3rd lenses that you want to use? - go EM1.

You shoot sports/moving stuff? Go EM1

You need weather sealing (and by that I mean you really need it, not pretend you do)- go EM1.

Shoot JPEGS in color? Go Em1 (B&W on GX7 should be fine/great).

You need good video? Go GX7, or ideally, GH3.

You want a camera that could fit in a pocket? (jacket pocket or loose jeans pocket) - go GX7.

Everything else go GX7 unless there's some particular feature or usability on the EM1 you like more.

- Ricardo

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Ricardo, I can easily tick all those boxes and I need at least 2 bodies for events (I actually prefer to have 3, but I also have a GH2). The 2 new bodies will replace the GH1 bodies of which I've given away one and will sell or give away the other soon. At events, I carry one body with wide zoom (7-14mm), one with normal zoom (probably the new Zuiko unless the PanaLeica 14-50 focuses fast enough with AF-C on the Olympus) and one with the 75mm. They all fit into a small shoulder/belt bag and saves me from changing lenses at all. Very fast and convenient, helping me to get shots that I would have missed while changing lenses.

raist3d

Jorgen- if you want the cameras to shoot events, I think I would pick two EM1's then. Personally having to switch between one or the other seems to be can be a bit confusing in the middle of event shooting.

If you need to shoot events that there are moments of absolute silence, then I would say GX7 for the electronic shutter mode.

- Ricardo

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I don't worry so much about using different cameras. I do that all the time. What I do need for some events is good AF-C. Here's a photo that I struggled with using the GH2 and Zuiko 75mm. The boy in the background is properly in focus, the girls not:

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Here in Germany , the date of first availability is September 19th .
At least , thats what most dealers say .

Matix

That's a week before the E-M1, and for a few dollars more you get all that extra . . . and it isn't even that much bigger:
Interesting pricing Jono, current stated list price for GX7 at Photo Continental in Brisbane is $1.098 including tax of 10%, and the E-M1 I was quoted $1,495, both body only.

Our pricing in Australia is usually much higher than the US, UK is a little different, mostly they are higher than us. But my point is, the price difference is closer to $400 here.

Phil

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Interesting pricing Jono, current stated list price for GX7 at Photo Continental in Brisbane is $1.098 including tax of 10%, and the E-M1 I was quoted $1,495, both body only.

Our pricing in Australia is usually much higher than the US, UK is a little different, mostly they are higher than us. But my point is, the price difference is closer to $400 here.

Phil
Phil
You should be quite happy with the prices in AUSTRALIA .
The GX7 , body only , is 948,00€ at one dealer and all others state 998,00€ here.
We surely will see a price drop in about 6-8 month here , but I want the GX7 now . :) . Can't wait .

jonoslack

Well - more than a few dollars - the E-M1 is £1300, the GX7 £1000 - but there seems to be a lot of difference in specification.

I can see the attraction of the GX7, but I still think the IBIS is likely to be a lot better in the Olympus, and on that basis I'm not sure that I wouldn't have an E-P5 as a smaller second camera (no built in EVF, but the plug in one works well). I like the twin dials and similar layout. It is smaller too Pen vs GX7

All the best

biglouis

I wonder what posters now feel about the GX7 given the Olympus announcement.

Personally, even though I swore off m43rds I have to say I find the GX7 most attractive.

LouisB

Matix

I wonder what posters now feel about the GX7 given the Olympus announcement.

Personally, even though I swore off m43rds I have to say I find the GX7 most attractive.

LouisB
It appeals to me also Louis, the proof of the pudding as they say, will be in the eating. It will be good to see how both never cameras turn out in real life use. I did try the E-M5 for a couple of months, the the ergonomics of the GH3 won me over, and I have not had any issues with the IQ, which to my eye and to my needs is on par with the images I was getting out of the Oly.

In a perfect world I would like to have all of them, there are certainly subjective advantages inherent in all of the new breed of cameras, just have to have the right one for the kind of photograhy one does.

The GX7, like the GH3 seems to push all the right buttons for me, and I have Panasonic m4/3 lenses, no 4/3, and the 2 axis IBIS will suffice for the rare times I have a non m4/3 lens on the camera. The lesser IBIS will certainly help with lenses like the 7-14 and 25mm 1.4 if needed, and the occasional need for a fill flash being available appeals too...

So, we are all correct, the need is personal, it is great that we have options and can take advantage of them..... I cannot wait.

Phil

jonoslack

The GX7, like the GH3 seems to push all the right buttons for me, and I have Panasonic m4/3 lenses, no 4/3, and the 2 axis IBIS will suffice for the rare times I have a non m4/3 lens on the camera. The lesser IBIS will certainly help with lenses like the 7-14 and 25mm 1.4 if needed, and the occasional need for a fill flash being available appeals too...

So, we are all correct, the need is personal, it is great that we have options and can take advantage of them..... I cannot wait.

Phil
HI Phil
Wise Words. I've had several of the Panasonic µ43 and several of the Olympus ones, I'm not sure if it's sentiment or suitability, but I just prefer the Oly cameras and lenses. Clearly they both do the job.

As you say, great that we have the options, and wonderful that µ43 has turned into such a mature and effective system.

all the best

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Here's an interesting size comparison, shot just a few minutes after I left the shop (the GX7 hadn't arrived yet when I was there). The size difference between the GX7 and the E-M1 might appear bigger in real life than on paper. The larger lens on the Olympus obviously strengthens the impression, but I'm leaning increasingly strong towards buying both.

jonoslack

Here's an interesting size comparison, shot just a few minutes after I left the shop (the GX7 hadn't arrived yet when I was there). The size difference between the GX7 and the E-M1 might appear bigger in real life than on paper. The larger lens on the Olympus obviously strengthens the impression, but I'm leaning increasingly strong towards buying both.
HI Jorgen
Whilst I quite see your point, having used a Pen 5 for a week or so, I'd rather have it as a smaller second body then the GX7 - of course, if you want the video then the GX7 is a no-brainer - if not, then the better IBIS on the Pen is the no-brainer (especially if you're going to use 3rd party lenses).

The plug in EVF is so different from the VF2 on earlier Pens - it locks properly, and it's huge and really nice to use . . . . . and it has a working eye sensor. So, better resolution, no fiddling with buttons, and no falling off either. . . and for times when you don't need it the camera is smaller than the GX7.

. . . also there's the familiarity of the Olympus buttons and menus.

all the best

Godfrey

You're more evil than I normally imagine, Jorgen. ;-)

I just checked: E-P5, E-M5 and E-M1 all take the BLN-1 battery. That's a strong case to stick with just Olympus ... same remote, same battery, similar IBIS system, similar menus, etc. BUT the GX7 EVF, body shape, and control layout is very appealing.

The E-M1 will be here within a few weeks. I'll work with that a while and see what else I want to do equipment wise. There might be large changes in the near future ...

G

monza

The E-M1 looks huge, but it's really not. :)

Jorgen are the buttons (or perhaps the 'button feel') on the E-M1 improved over the E-M5?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The E-M1 looks huge, but it's really not. :)

Jorgen are the buttons (or perhaps the 'button feel') on the E-M1 improved over the E-M5?
I don't own an E-M5 and use one only occasionally, but to me, they felt as good as on any of my Nikon cameras. A bit softer but a "longer push". The biggest improvement vs. the E-M5 to me is that it's easier to get a firm grip on the camera which again makes it easier to move the fingers around and push the buttons. Buttons seem to be larger, there are more buttons and switches and the body is more "sculpted", also apart from the protruding grip.