The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GX7, the Swiss Army Camera?

jonoslack

Pretty much. It's probably me bad, just what Jono/Ptomsu wrote sounded way too categorical and in general terms, but it may very well be just the way I read it.

- Ricardo
HI Ricardo
I can't speak for Peter - but I realise that what I wrote seemed too categorical - much more so than I felt. , so, in my case me bad not you bad :)
all the best

V

Vivek

I was mildly interested in the GX7 and as a result checkd out the battery. It is from the GF line if I am not mistaken and that too a new version of it. If this is correct, not much has changed with Panasonic (i will not be buying one).

jtwloh

...most of these samples do look rather good, I think, perhaps apart from the 7-14 pana..
Panasonic Lumix GX7 sample images | Cameralabs
Thorkil
These pics look good to me.

I must say that the picture quality between some of the latest M43 models is really good and with very little differentiation. It will be down to the user preference, the ergonomic and user interface that sway the buyers.

But it is really good to have options.

Matix

Finally some time to run off a few shots.. work got in the way. Took a walk at lunch yesterday, a few shots. All in OOC JPG, certainly as good as the GH3, maybe some pixel peeping will tell more, but so far it seems to be great.

Full size JPG are available just right click the image on this site. Any feeback appreciated, they are only quick shots, bright day, very little experimentation, lenses used, the new 20mm and 12-35mm.

Photo-Matix Imagery | GX7 Test

Phil

hot

I got my GX7 on Saturday . Battery is fully charged and a spare is on order .
I dislike to pay full price as first adopter :D ... I'll order within next weeks, price is falling ... now - € 100 :p
But I've spare batteries for GX7

V

Vivek

Having followed the price decline of the GX, I will be watching this closely. If a significant fall happens within a short time, may be. Good to know there are usable/affordable batteries available for it. :)

In the meantime, i am studying the 6D closely. Any super sale (on top of the already ridiculous prices), I am there! :D

jotloob

Subscriber Member
I dislike to pay full price as first adopter :D ... I'll order within next weeks, price is falling ... now - € 100
Having followed the price decline of the GX, I will be watching this closely. If a significant fall happens within a short time, may be. Good to know there are usable/affordable batteries available for it. :)

In the meantime, i am studying the 6D closely. Any super sale (on top of the already ridiculous prices), I am there! :D
I do like to pay the full price , the higher the better , and also original expensive batteries . I hate to wait for a price fall . :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:
It is only important to have the GX7 now .:ROTFL:

ggibson

Having followed the price decline of the GX, I will be watching this closely. If a significant fall happens within a short time, may be.
I'm also curious to see how used prices behave. It seems to me that m4/3 pricing is closely tied to sensor technology. New generation sensor cameras seem to typically hold their value for a longer time until something new comes along that eclipses it.

The GF1 held its value for a long time, even after the GF2/3 came out because there was still nothing significantly better on the market. Once Olympus intro'd the Sony sensor cameras, prices fell more quickly.

Similarly, the E-M5 has held its value very well since there hasn't been anything that has done much better. Even after the E-M1 was announced, I haven't see prices dropping too fast because the image quality is relatively the same. It's not just a "premium" model thing either, thinking about how fast prices of the E-P3 fell in just a few months because it used such an old sensor and new ones were right around the corner.

In the case of the GX1, it was using the sensor from the G3... but it was quickly surpassed when the E-M5/E-PL5 came out two months later. Panasonic had barely gotten their premium GX1 into stores when Olympus' E-PL5 offered a similar package with a better sensor and image stabilization built-in.

Now, the GX7 has come out using the newest Panasonic sensor that performs as well as (or better) than the 16MP Olympus is using. Olympus has a while (maybe 18 months) before they step up to a wholly different and better sensor technology. And the GX7 has Panasonic's latest and greatest sensor, which may be improved in subsequent models, but not significantly surpassed.

This is just my interpretation of how the demand side of the m4/3 market is working, but I guess my point is that I don't think the price of the GX7 will be dropping anywhere near as fast as the GX1. Thinking about what else could be released that would entice all those potential GX7 owners, I doubt that either Panasonic or Olympus will release something much better for at least a year or two.

"the GX7 has come out using the newest Panasonic sensor"

Ah, a comment on the sensor (yes I am a bore in being obsessed more with sensors than body shape).

I thought the GX7 is using the same one as the GH2. I guess if it is then it is still using the newest but is it not odd that M43 sensor development is so slow?

Matix

"the GX7 has come out using the newest Panasonic sensor"

Ah, a comment on the sensor (yes I am a bore in being obsessed more with sensors than body shape).

I thought the GX7 is using the same one as the GH2. I guess if it is then it is still using the newest but is it not odd that M43 sensor development is so slow?
Actually no, the GX7 has a new sensor not just a rehash but a redesigned and improved... In my initial tests, much better resolving of Reds and Yellows.. a failing on most sensors.

I am working on a series of images, comparing the GH3 and GX7 which I have only had for 4 days, all of them work days!! Heading out today for some fun...

Check this link for details.

GX7 Review and Sensor Pics

Last edited:

Matix

Re: GX7, Compared to GH3 sample images

Well it rained on my parade today, but during some dry spells I ran off a bunch of comparison shots.. the GH3 and the GX7, same shot, same settings and same len.

This was really hard, not having two of a particular lens there is a lot of swapping and with light rain happening I had to watch the sensor or optics did not get any drops on them.

To be fair, and to not ruin all my settings on both cameras, I shot most of them with Ai (Auto) Setting, and some with P. Take a look, 11 pairs of images, GH3 first, then GX7. No RAW, I do not have a compatible converter for the GX7 yet. All shots OOC JPEG, will try for RAW tomorrow, my C1-7 and ACDSee Pro 6 do not support GX7 yet.

Lenses used, 25mm 1.4 and 12-35mm 2.8, I will try for more tomorrow in bad light, evenings etc. These were cloudy day shots, but bright enough. Click INFO to see the Exif, right click to download full size original OOC shots.

Here is the link... Photo-Matix Imagery | GX7 vs GH3

Phil

Sample shot..GX7 with 12-35mm

ggibson

Matix, thanks so much for providing some images to compare. I played with the second one (train crossing/flowers) in Photoshop, pushing exposure up +3 and pulling highlights to see if I could see any differences in dynamic range. There was essentially no difference between the two images aside from maybe a different white balance. These are just jpegs though, as you said, so until adobe supports the GX7 we won't know whether RAW tells a different story.

One other thing I'm wondering right now is whether dynamic range holds up between the two on higher ISOs. I frequently like to pull up shadows, so I'd like to see how well the GX7 does so at ISO 800 or 1600.

Godfrey

Matix, thanks so much for providing some images to compare. I played with the second one (train crossing/flowers) in Photoshop, pushing exposure up +3 and pulling highlights to see if I could see any differences in dynamic range. There was essentially no difference between the two images aside from maybe a different white balance. These are just jpegs though, as you said, so until adobe supports the GX7 we won't know whether RAW tells a different story.

One other thing I'm wondering right now is whether dynamic range holds up between the two on higher ISOs. I frequently like to pull up shadows, so I'd like to see how well the GX7 does so at ISO 800 or 1600.
Lightroom 5.2 supports the GX7 raw files now.

G

LR 5.2. Good.

With all due respect to Matix's enthusiasm I don't think we'll learn much until the comparisons are done with RAW files.

If I trade my GH2 for a GX7 I am looking for about five hundred pound's worth of difference!! :D

Tony