Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: It's all YOUR fault!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: It's all YOUR fault!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cjlacz View Post
    I don't have one yet either, but it's getting harder to resist. I'm looking at the E-30 + lenses and I can't help but think I'm going the wrong direction.
    I have the Oly 520 -- Jono made me get it -- but I find the dynamic range rather limited c/f the Canon 5D. Is the Pany G1 better than the Oly?
    SlŠinte

Robert.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Campbell View Post
    I have the Oly 520 -- Jono made me get it -- but I find the dynamic range rather limited c/f the Canon 5D. Is the Pany G1 better than the Oly?
    WHAT?! Moi?
    Anyway, what's a TOBY?

I think the dynamic range on the G1 is better than the Oly 520, but there isn't a great deal in it.

Don't buy one Bertie - you know you'll regret it

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Haha, you are asking the wrong person. I think the dynamic range is pretty similar, but not much data on the E30 yet. Unlike most of you, I don't have an existing system built up. m4/3s pulling me one way, but lenses will take a long time to come out. The D90's dynamic range is SO appealing, but the size and weight of those lenses. I'm going to have to jump in with 4/3s, but I just hope I don't regret it later.
    Charles - flickr

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Haha, you are asking the wrong person. I think the dynamic range is pretty similar, but not much data on the E30 yet.
    Hi Charles
    as far as I can tell the sensor in the G1 is the same as in the E30 - so, a general improvement all around . . . but not by that much. Historically Olympus have applied a stronger AA filter on their versions of the sensors, so that may also be true of the E30.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nostatic View Post
    you are like a drug dealer. Someone call the camera police!
    Yep LOL. I am going to hold fast on this though--not buying another lens until I shoot with the kit for a bit. I know I need faster, I know I would like something longer but not sure about the zoom. I don't shoot a lot over 90mm. I admit I've been looking at the Voigtlanders at Cameraquest, but I'm not going to jump in further until I'm sure I really do shoot with it a lot (I'm guessing I will LOL).

Diane

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Wish someone would buy my 520 so I can get one of these.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Anyway, what's a TOBY?
    Too old to be a yuppy -- doesn't apply to you
    SlŠinte

Robert.

Post Thanks / Like

fourthirdsphoto.com did a side by side photo shoot between the G1 and E-30, the G1 killed the E-30 IMO. I downloaded the full sized bridge photos and compared them in PS at 100%. Much better fine detail with the G1 must have a weaker AA filter? Here's the link:

http://fourthirdsphoto.com/G1review/05.php

tm

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Hi Charles
    as far as I can tell the sensor in the G1 is the same as in the E30 - so, a general improvement all around . . . but not by that much. Historically Olympus have applied a stronger AA filter on their versions of the sensors, so that may also be true of the E30.
    Yeah, figured that was probably the case. I'm still waiting to see some good reviews on the E30, but everytime I read a thread here about the G1 it's getting harder to buy an E30. I wish I already had a system put together like most of you so I could sit back and wait a while longer.
    Charles - flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tmessenger View Post
    fourthirdsphoto.com did a side by side photo shoot between the G1 and E-30, the G1 killed the E-30 IMO. I downloaded the full sized bridge photos and compared them in PS at 100%. Much better fine detail with the G1 must have a weaker AA filter? Here's the link:

http://fourthirdsphoto.com/G1review/05.php

tm
    You know you are just making this more difficult for me!
    Charles - flickr

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a quick shot I did yesterday (using my dad's terminology) a 'common garden variety' Nikkor 50/1.8 pancake on the G1. 1/80s, ISO 100, I think at f/2.8. If anyone is interested, control click to d/l the raw file.

(I shot this with a Nokton 40/1.4 but it didn't turn like I wanted, it simply won't focus close enough. This is one of the downsides of using M lenses compared to using SLR lenses on the G1.)

100%:

Last edited by monza; 31st December 2008 at 08:33.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You know you are just making this more difficult for me!
    Not sure it's relevant to your decision, but the kit lens is very good too. It has a very Leica-like look to it, and makes sense as I heard Leica worked with Panasonic on the design. FWIW, my son played around with mine for a few hours and went back to Keeble yesterday to buy one for himself...
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Monza, that Nikkor panckae renders very nicely, I like it! Also, great point on MFD for the SLR lenses versus the M lenses...
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Monza, that Nikkor panckae renders very nicely, I like it! Also, great point on MFD for the SLR lenses versus the M lenses...
    Jack,
    Vivek posted a few weeks ago about using the extension tubes on Leica lenses to get closer focus. That's why I picked up the OUFRO adapter for $22 @ KEH. For that price I decided I could afford to experiment.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I had forgotten about that OUFRO post...good point.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm feeling a bit pressurised here; as a TOBY I couldn't get one in black, yet I have only seen the twin lens set in black. Are there twin lens sets in red [in the UK]?
    LCE in the UK do the twin lens kit with red body for £549 inc cashback when i bought my G1 three weeks ago.

Mark.

Bhakti-rider

No, he means the lenses themselves red! I myself found it somewhat pointless to offer the body in red or blue but the lenses only in black. The blue I could see if the lenses matched.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bhakti-rider View Post
    No, he means the lenses themselves red! I myself found it somewhat pointless to offer the body in red or blue but the lenses only in black. The blue I could see if the lenses matched.
    Not even the camera bodies themselves are completely red or blue; the top plate and flash cover are black on all of them.

Personally, I found this a bit ugly on the red one, but that¬īs me. I chose the blue one; it is far more "understated".

But the images are identical from all three of them, I presume...

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You don't get your own personalised firmware with the appropriate tint added to the photos to match your camera? Shame..
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

kiloran

Is this forum getting commission from Panasonic? +1 to the list of G1 owners and its all down to this place (or, more accurately, the fact it will use all my rangefinder lenses relatively painlessly). I wonder if Panasonic's engineers/marketeers expected this? Or was it a happy mistake that they made their camera such a lenswhore?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I don't think it's a mistake... the G1's popularity amongst serious photographers is almost entirely due to the ELVIS assisted MF for legacy lenses.

Panasonic have created a great opening for themselves into this m4/3rds market - and if they can resume their partnership with Leica there's no reason why they can't supply a range of professional quality lenses.

Olympus would do well to get started immediately, converting their superb ZD lenses to m4/3rds imho.

I think the big breakthrough for Panasonic will be HD video with the G2 and beyond. I suspect the success of the G1 will push them on with confidence... the price of the G1 is already dropping dramatically in the UK (£120 down from launch price) - I wonder if they're clearing stock ready for the G2 launch?

Anyhow, exciting times ahead - with the Olympus m4/3rds offering due this year...

Kind Regards

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kiloran View Post
    Is this forum getting commission from Panasonic? +1 to the list of G1 owners and its all down to this place (or, more accurately, the fact it will use all my rangefinder lenses relatively painlessly). I wonder if Panasonic's engineers/marketeers expected this? Or was it a happy mistake that they made their camera such a lenswhore?

I wish we got a commission.

As owners of this site , Jack and I are really excited our members have found a camera that is fun and folks have a lot to share about it and it's potential. This is what a forum should be and our mantra a place to learn, share and most of all have fun.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

kiloran

Fun sums it up almost entirely, its a wonderful creative tool

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This little camera opens up so many creative possibilities that it is rapidly becoming a must have camera. It's ability to use so many different lenses and ease of use, small size and excellent IQ have made it a must have for those with Leica lenses wanting an easy to focus camera. And.. as others have stated it is just plain fun!
    V/r John

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Lenswhore, heh.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That might have to be adopted to all our middle names. LOL

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I just about convinced myself to join the G1 crowd as well after holding off on buying a LX3/ GX200. Now I just need to sell my Canon Digital Rebel kit (to go along with all the Christmas gift cards) to ease the "financial pain." The e420 looks nice too and there are great deals to be had on it as well but I think the versatility of the G1 has won me over.

Oh yeah and does anyone know if Aperture supports the G1 yet. If not does anyone know if it will soon? I will use the included software I guess until it does though.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Marty L.

Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    I think I just about convinced myself to join the G1 crowd as well after holding off on buying a LX3/ GX200. Now I just need to sell my Canon Digital Rebel kit (to go along with all the Christmas gift cards) to ease the "financial pain." The e420 looks nice too and there are great deals to be had on it as well but I think the versatility of the G1 has won me over.

Oh yeah and does anyone know if Aperture supports the G1 yet. If not does anyone know if it will soon? I will use the included software I guess until it does though.
    The camera is great but the included software is very disappointing, especially compared to Aperture. Apple is really slow in catching up on formats and as of today no go on an update. Even worse aperture has some strange behavior even with the jpegs. Once you crop any other change causes the image to vanish! At least that's my experience. Aperture does load the previews for the raw2 files, but not the files themselves. The good news is that Apple will eventually catch up and we will see if the downloaded files work or have to be reentered into Aperture. As a safety measure I'm keeping a separate back up of all my G1 files.

Cheers,
    Marty

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Raw developer works fine with it on the Mac as does LR 2.2.
    V/r John

Post Thanks / Like

Oh boy, i am a lenswhore too. I do own legacy glasses for my Oly.
    Tamron SP90 2.5 and some Leica R-primes.... oh oh i am lost

Klaus (LH) W.
    For my next businesscard printing

Attachment 10637

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    Lenswhore, heh.
    Gee,
    I prefer to consider myself a gear addict.
    lenswhore is far too limiting :-)
    -bob

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by barjohn View Post
    Raw developer works fine with it on the Mac as does LR 2.2.
    Thanks for the info I just bought an academic version of LR2.2 so Adobe thanks you too. I will use it I guess until Apple updates Aperture. I guess having options are a great thing.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Have to say, this is a great little camera! I just printed up a pair of 16x22's that my son shot and they look great. Very impressed here

Here are his two shots:
    Jack

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Hi guys, just went through the thread and as someone who ownes various small cameras (GRD, GX100, DP1) as an addition to my M8, D3 and MF I have somewhat the conclusion that everything which doesnt fit in a pocket would have no real advantage compared to the M8. I dont use the Ricohs at all since I am not happy with the IQ. The dp1 is fine but limited regarding f4.0 and color cast if you go over 400 ISO.
    So for now the M8+28/2.0 is my "mobile" camera.
    I wonder in which regard you feel the g1 has any advantage? isnt it too big for a shirt-pocket, but too small to offer a compfortable grip and user interface?
    whats the real benefit? I ask because I am interested and not because I want to bash.
    Tom

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Have to say, this is a great little camera! I just printed up a pair of 16x22's that my son shot and they look great. Very impressed here

Here are his two shots:
    Jack, Congrats to your son for that beautiful winter landscape shot. I've also found that sharp G1 files will print nicely at 16x20+ if processed carefully. Great little camera and so much fun to use.

Regards,
    Carl

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by t_streng View Post
    So for now the M8+28/2.0 is my "mobile" camera.
    I wonder in which regard you feel the g1 has any advantage? isnt it too big for a shirt-pocket, but too small to offer a compfortable grip and user interface?
    whats the real benefit? I ask because I am interested and not because I want to bash.
    Tom
    Fair question Tom:

IMO the advantage is you get 1) excellent image quality, 2) very accurate AF, 3) short shutter lag, 4) an effective 28-90 zoom lens of very good quality, 5) and all for $700 or less! Or stated another way, you get an entire system that makes excellent images for about half the cost of Leica's cheapest M lens

But no, it is *NOT* a 'replacement' for the M8 by any stretch!
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Jack, nice photos from your son. I'm curious if the second was taken with the 14-45 or the 45-200--it could be either from the EXIF. I'm guessing maybe the 14-45 since that's what the first was taken with , but.....

Diane

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by t_streng View Post
    I wonder in which regard you feel the g1 has any advantage?
    In addition to the previous points, for me, it can use lenses from all my other cameras whether they are RF or SLR, so it complements everything else I have.

When I don't need speed or high ISO (or need something small, light or invisible) it subs for the D700. Shutter as quiet as a film M.

And it's fun to use.

Post Thanks / Like

The only downsides I've seen in my limited playing with it are that the kit lens is slow so it can struggle in very low light, and the fact that I have fairly big hands and I'm not sure that it would be comfortable for me to carry in my right hand for extended periods of time...a tad too small/short. But I haven't tried yet, mostly since it is the g/f's camera. She loves it though, and used it over the weekend for it's primary job - documenting her sculpture work. She shot it back to back with a DLux3 and was *very* happy with the G1.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here are his two shots:
    Wow Jack, that is fantastic for such a camera. And 16x22. Pretty sensational if you ask me. (Yes I know you didn't ask me LOL)

I just committed to the G1 and have both LTM and M adapters on order from JLM. I figure I may as well get lots of use from those super M lenses.

Best

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
    Jack, nice photos from your son. I'm curious if the second was taken with the 14-45 or the 45-200--it could be either from the EXIF. I'm guessing maybe the 14-45 since that's what the first was taken with , but.....

Diane
    Hi Diane:

Both images were taken with the 14-45.

Cheers,
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A nice comfortable wrist strap makes it easy to carry no matter how big or small your hands are.
    V/r John

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Those are stunning pictures. I like the first one in particular.
    Charles - flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

thanks folks! I am happy my son is taking a liking to photography and he obviously has an eye for it -- better than his old man's

Anyway, I am very impressed with the output from this little camera.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Jack: how old is your son? I ask because I'd like to pique my son interest in photography, though it's probably a bit early (he's only 5).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

First off, Jack...STELLAR PHOTOS! Thanks for sharing.

Steng,

I'll add to what Jack and Monza have said. I went from film to digital and for the most part have been happy with the results. But the equipment for the most part has left me wanting. Nothing wrong with in terms of image making per se...in fact quite extraordinary. But a lot of the DSLR's just seemed to be like scaled up film cameras that made me feel like I was wielding a Pentax 6x7 or even a Hasselblad. There was a lot of heft but I like to be a bit more inconspicuous when I shoot. I wanted to like them. I was actually hell bent on buying Nikon's D300 or the D700 (until I actually picked one up and held it) or Canon's new 5D (also a bit on the big side) but they felt like rocks. And I'd seen other photographers out and about hauling these things and it just seemed to be so much weight for photography.

I also liked a lot of the littler point and shoots (in particular the Panasonic LX series with its Leitz designed lenses) but often felt, while certainly pocket-able and capable, I wanted a something a little more. Sometimes the light was too much for the sensor and despite the RAW files they could produce the results were still far from my satisfaction.

So I kept an eye out for something else. Something that might offer alternative optics if one should choose. Optics that had a reputation for really impressive images and that the camera could make the most of its capabilties (i.e. it had a halfway decent sensor, image processor and firmware).

Enter the G1.

Peter
    Life is an infinite series of moments called..."now".
    My job is to capture them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by httivals View Post
    Jack: how old is your son? I ask because I'd like to pique my son interest in photography, though it's probably a bit early (he's only 5).
    He recently turned 18 But I got him a real inexpensive P&S cam when he was about 5 or 6. He used it on trips, but really did not start showing interest until a few years ago.
    Jack

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Ok,
    I just handled a G1 and have to say I am impressed and was very close to buy one. Much faster than I thought, feels much better in hand than I thought, and the EVF also looks better than I thought.
    I can see how it is fun to use it.
    Cheers, Tom