The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

It's all YOUR fault!!!

monza

Here is a quick shot I did yesterday (using my dad's terminology) a 'common garden variety' Nikkor 50/1.8 pancake on the G1. 1/80s, ISO 100, I think at f/2.8. If anyone is interested, control click to d/l the raw file.

(I shot this with a Nokton 40/1.4 but it didn't turn like I wanted, it simply won't focus close enough. This is one of the downsides of using M lenses compared to using SLR lenses on the G1.)

100%:

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
You know you are just making this more difficult for me! :confused:
Not sure it's relevant to your decision, but the kit lens is very good too. It has a very Leica-like look to it, and makes sense as I heard Leica worked with Panasonic on the design. FWIW, my son played around with mine for a few hours and went back to Keeble yesterday to buy one for himself...

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Monza, that Nikkor panckae renders very nicely, I like it! Also, great point on MFD for the SLR lenses versus the M lenses...

Terry

Monza, that Nikkor panckae renders very nicely, I like it! Also, great point on MFD for the SLR lenses versus the M lenses...
Jack,
Vivek posted a few weeks ago about using the extension tubes on Leica lenses to get closer focus. That's why I picked up the OUFRO adapter for $22 @ KEH. For that price I decided I could afford to experiment.

mark1000

I'm feeling a bit pressurised here; as a TOBY I couldn't get one in black, yet I have only seen the twin lens set in black. Are there twin lens sets in red [in the UK]?
LCE in the UK do the twin lens kit with red body for £549 inc cashback when i bought my G1 three weeks ago.

Mark.

B

Bhakti-rider

No, he means the lenses themselves red! I myself found it somewhat pointless to offer the body in red or blue but the lenses only in black. The blue I could see if the lenses matched.

No, he means the lenses themselves red! I myself found it somewhat pointless to offer the body in red or blue but the lenses only in black. The blue I could see if the lenses matched.
Not even the camera bodies themselves are completely red or blue; the top plate and flash cover are black on all of them.

Personally, I found this a bit ugly on the red one, but that´s me. I chose the blue one; it is far more "understated".

But the images are identical from all three of them, I presume...:cool:

K

kiloran

Is this forum getting commission from Panasonic? +1 to the list of G1 owners and its all down to this place (or, more accurately, the fact it will use all my rangefinder lenses relatively painlessly). I wonder if Panasonic's engineers/marketeers expected this? Or was it a happy mistake that they made their camera such a lenswhore? :D

Brian Mosley

I don't think it's a mistake... the G1's popularity amongst serious photographers is almost entirely due to the ELVIS assisted MF for legacy lenses.

Panasonic have created a great opening for themselves into this m4/3rds market - and if they can resume their partnership with Leica there's no reason why they can't supply a range of professional quality lenses.

Olympus would do well to get started immediately, converting their superb ZD lenses to m4/3rds imho.

I think the big breakthrough for Panasonic will be HD video with the G2 and beyond. I suspect the success of the G1 will push them on with confidence... the price of the G1 is already dropping dramatically in the UK (£120 down from launch price) - I wonder if they're clearing stock ready for the G2 launch?

Anyhow, exciting times ahead - with the Olympus m4/3rds offering due this year...

Kind Regards

Brian

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Is this forum getting commission from Panasonic? +1 to the list of G1 owners and its all down to this place (or, more accurately, the fact it will use all my rangefinder lenses relatively painlessly). I wonder if Panasonic's engineers/marketeers expected this? Or was it a happy mistake that they made their camera such a lenswhore? :D

I wish we got a commission.:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

As owners of this site , Jack and I are really excited our members have found a camera that is fun and folks have a lot to share about it and it's potential. This is what a forum should be and our mantra a place to learn, share and most of all have fun.

K

kiloran

Fun sums it up almost entirely, its a wonderful creative tool

barjohn

This little camera opens up so many creative possibilities that it is rapidly becoming a must have camera. It's ability to use so many different lenses and ease of use, small size and excellent IQ have made it a must have for those with Leica lenses wanting an easy to focus camera. And.. as others have stated it is just plain fun!

iiiNelson

I think I just about convinced myself to join the G1 crowd as well after holding off on buying a LX3/ GX200. Now I just need to sell my Canon Digital Rebel kit (to go along with all the Christmas gift cards) to ease the "financial pain." The e420 looks nice too and there are great deals to be had on it as well but I think the versatility of the G1 has won me over.

Oh yeah and does anyone know if Aperture supports the G1 yet. If not does anyone know if it will soon? I will use the included software I guess until it does though.

M

Marty L.

I think I just about convinced myself to join the G1 crowd as well after holding off on buying a LX3/ GX200. Now I just need to sell my Canon Digital Rebel kit (to go along with all the Christmas gift cards) to ease the "financial pain." The e420 looks nice too and there are great deals to be had on it as well but I think the versatility of the G1 has won me over.

Oh yeah and does anyone know if Aperture supports the G1 yet. If not does anyone know if it will soon? I will use the included software I guess until it does though.
The camera is great but the included software is very disappointing, especially compared to Aperture. Apple is really slow in catching up on formats and as of today no go on an update. Even worse aperture has some strange behavior even with the jpegs. Once you crop any other change causes the image to vanish! At least that's my experience. Aperture does load the previews for the raw2 files, but not the files themselves. The good news is that Apple will eventually catch up and we will see if the downloaded files work or have to be reentered into Aperture. As a safety measure I'm keeping a separate back up of all my G1 files.

Cheers,
Marty