The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

It's all YOUR fault!!!

iiiNelson

Raw developer works fine with it on the Mac as does LR 2.2.
Thanks for the info I just bought an academic version of LR2.2 so Adobe thanks you too. I will use it I guess until Apple updates Aperture. I guess having options are a great thing.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Have to say, this is a great little camera! I just printed up a pair of 16x22's that my son shot and they look great. Very impressed here :thumbs:

Here are his two shots:

Paratom

Hi guys, just went through the thread and as someone who ownes various small cameras (GRD, GX100, DP1) as an addition to my M8, D3 and MF I have somewhat the conclusion that everything which doesnt fit in a pocket would have no real advantage compared to the M8. I dont use the Ricohs at all since I am not happy with the IQ. The dp1 is fine but limited regarding f4.0 and color cast if you go over 400 ISO.
So for now the M8+28/2.0 is my "mobile" camera.
I wonder in which regard you feel the g1 has any advantage? isnt it too big for a shirt-pocket, but too small to offer a compfortable grip and user interface?
whats the real benefit? I ask because I am interested and not because I want to bash.
Tom

scho

Have to say, this is a great little camera! I just printed up a pair of 16x22's that my son shot and they look great. Very impressed here :thumbs:

Here are his two shots:
Jack, Congrats to your son for that beautiful winter landscape shot. I've also found that sharp G1 files will print nicely at 16x20+ if processed carefully. Great little camera and so much fun to use.

Regards,
Carl

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
So for now the M8+28/2.0 is my "mobile" camera.
I wonder in which regard you feel the g1 has any advantage? isnt it too big for a shirt-pocket, but too small to offer a compfortable grip and user interface?
whats the real benefit? I ask because I am interested and not because I want to bash.
Tom
Fair question Tom:

IMO the advantage is you get 1) excellent image quality, 2) very accurate AF, 3) short shutter lag, 4) an effective 28-90 zoom lens of very good quality, 5) and all for $700 or less! Or stated another way, you get an entire system that makes excellent images for about half the cost of Leica's cheapest M lens :D

But no, it is *NOT* a 'replacement' for the M8 by any stretch!

Diane B

Jack, nice photos from your son. I'm curious if the second was taken with the 14-45 or the 45-200--it could be either from the EXIF. I'm guessing maybe the 14-45 since that's what the first was taken with , but.....

Diane

monza

I wonder in which regard you feel the g1 has any advantage?
In addition to the previous points, for me, it can use lenses from all my other cameras whether they are RF or SLR, so it complements everything else I have.

When I don't need speed or high ISO (or need something small, light or invisible) it subs for the D700. Shutter as quiet as a film M.

And it's fun to use. :)

nostatic

The only downsides I've seen in my limited playing with it are that the kit lens is slow so it can struggle in very low light, and the fact that I have fairly big hands and I'm not sure that it would be comfortable for me to carry in my right hand for extended periods of time...a tad too small/short. But I haven't tried yet, mostly since it is the g/f's camera. She loves it though, and used it over the weekend for it's primary job - documenting her sculpture work. She shot it back to back with a DLux3 and was *very* happy with the G1.

woodyspedden

Here are his two shots:
Wow Jack, that is fantastic for such a camera. And 16x22. Pretty sensational if you ask me. (Yes I know you didn't ask me LOL)

I just committed to the G1 and have both LTM and M adapters on order from JLM. I figure I may as well get lots of use from those super M lenses.

Best

Woody

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Jack, nice photos from your son. I'm curious if the second was taken with the 14-45 or the 45-200--it could be either from the EXIF. I'm guessing maybe the 14-45 since that's what the first was taken with , but.....

Diane
Hi Diane:

Both images were taken with the 14-45.

Cheers,

barjohn

A nice comfortable wrist strap makes it easy to carry no matter how big or small your hands are.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
thanks folks! I am happy my son is taking a liking to photography and he obviously has an eye for it -- better than his old man's :ROTFL:

Anyway, I am very impressed with the output from this little camera.

httivals

Jack: how old is your son? I ask because I'd like to pique my son interest in photography, though it's probably a bit early (he's only 5).

peterb

First off, Jack...STELLAR PHOTOS! Thanks for sharing.

Steng,

I'll add to what Jack and Monza have said. I went from film to digital and for the most part have been happy with the results. But the equipment for the most part has left me wanting. Nothing wrong with in terms of image making per se...in fact quite extraordinary. But a lot of the DSLR's just seemed to be like scaled up film cameras that made me feel like I was wielding a Pentax 6x7 or even a Hasselblad. There was a lot of heft but I like to be a bit more inconspicuous when I shoot. I wanted to like them. I was actually hell bent on buying Nikon's D300 or the D700 (until I actually picked one up and held it) or Canon's new 5D (also a bit on the big side) but they felt like rocks. And I'd seen other photographers out and about hauling these things and it just seemed to be so much weight for photography.

I also liked a lot of the littler point and shoots (in particular the Panasonic LX series with its Leitz designed lenses) but often felt, while certainly pocket-able and capable, I wanted a something a little more. Sometimes the light was too much for the sensor and despite the RAW files they could produce the results were still far from my satisfaction.

So I kept an eye out for something else. Something that might offer alternative optics if one should choose. Optics that had a reputation for really impressive images and that the camera could make the most of its capabilties (i.e. it had a halfway decent sensor, image processor and firmware).

Enter the G1.

Peter

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Jack: how old is your son? I ask because I'd like to pique my son interest in photography, though it's probably a bit early (he's only 5).
He recently turned 18 :) But I got him a real inexpensive P&S cam when he was about 5 or 6. He used it on trips, but really did not start showing interest until a few years ago.

Paratom

Ok,
I just handled a G1 and have to say I am impressed and was very close to buy one. Much faster than I thought, feels much better in hand than I thought, and the EVF also looks better than I thought.
I can see how it is fun to use it.
Cheers, Tom