The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Going back to Primes

Lili

e410, 25/2.8 pancake lens, this lens may, by numbers resolve no better than the excellent kit lens, but it has a sparkle, a presence, that defies numbers.
For now I am carry the Oly as my Normal Lens and the GRD as my Wide Angle.
Primes rule!

Brian Mosley

Be sure to check out the 50mm f2... it will blow your socks off! :ROTFL:

The 25mm pancake is so small though, transforms the E-410 into an ultra-compact DSLR!

Glad you're having fun... keep posting :)

Brian

kweide

I agree with Brian.

The 50mm F2 is a killerlens !!! It is razor sharp and delivers out of this world quality pics... i know it for sure... have one always in my photobag !

Lili

Klaus and Brian;
Have heard very good things about this lens, 100mm F2 will simply rock for concerts.
Its next on my agenda; perhaps if the Pentax sells :)

cjlacz

I think I've learned a lot with the GRD2 being restricted to a 28mm lens. I've been going back to my Oly more recently and I don't really feel I'm using the zoom lenses well, so it's time for me to pick up some primes too.

Lili

nostatic, the Pentax Primes are awesome, sadly I find the cameras too big :(
cjlacz, I learned this lesson long ago with my Hexar AF and again with my GRD.
Do not get wrong, in some cases zooms are terribly convenient and useful.
But I enjoy very much the challenge and benefits of Primes :)

helenhill

Do not get wrong, in some cases zooms are terribly convenient and useful.
But I enjoy very much the challenge and benefits of Primes :)
Couldn't agree More Lili
I'm Totally Prime....can't SEE shooting any other way :D

Best-H

cjlacz

I'm getting ready to go out soon and I'm debating if I should pick up the PL 25mm and/or either 50mm. The sigma or the macro. I THINK the sigma might be available in Tokyo by now, but not sure. I'm just a little worried about my E-510 being able to focus in lower light with them, but I won't always be using them that way. Think I should go for it?

Lili

Couldn't agree More Lili
I'm Totally Prime....can't SEE shooting any other way :D

Best-H
Exactly, I can, sometimes, previsualize using a zoom. But it never becomes nearly as instinctive as use of a prme lens can be.
Mostly with zoom I see a scene and fiddle about searching for best FL.
With fixed FL it is more like dancing when I am 'on'
sigh

Lili

I'm getting ready to go out soon and I'm debating if I should pick up the PL 25mm and/or either 50mm. The sigma or the macro. I THINK the sigma might be available in Tokyo by now, but not sure. I'm just a little worried about my E-510 being able to focus in lower light with them, but I won't always be using them that way. Think I should go for it?
I find my e410 and the 25 focuses as fast or faster, and far more accurately than my K100d ever did with the 50/1.4 FA ( a lovely lens too BTW).
I got the 25 as a more all rounder FL, the 50 (100mm efl) will be for more specialized usage.
Either shold server you well cjlacz :)

nostatic

nostatic, the Pentax Primes are awesome, sadly I find the cameras too big :(
Compared to most dSLRs, the K20d is actually on the smaller side, but I understand. Compared to the G1 it is quite large. But compared to a D300, it is small. I have fairly big hands to the G1 is a bit of a challenge for me. Even the K20d is a bit cramped, but it works well, especially with a 43/1.9 mounted. Sadly I'm sending back the 31/1.8 though, as it is just too close to my existing 35/2.8 macro. But with that money, I can buy a CV 58/1.4 and am pondering a Zeiss 25/2.8. Mmmm, manual primes...

cjlacz

I went to the store today, but unfortunately their lenses were well over $100 more even after deducting the points. It will have to wait for another day.

For better or worse, I found out the washer I wanted won't fit in my apartment, so that's more money for lenses I guess.

kweide

Okay Lili, so i see the 25 mm pancake is a must have lens !
But it looks terrible on my E-3 :)

Brian Mosley

Hi Ben,

yes, I've tried it on the G1, and it's pretty good... supports CDAF and the G1's weaker AA filter, together with couple of extra Mpixels helps too.

Unfortunately, with the 4/3rds adapter you lose some of the size advantage. I'll be in line for the 20mm f1.7 when it gets released - unless Olympus announce a ZD m4/3rds alternative before then!

Kind Regards

Brian