The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Olympus OM-DM-E1 ??

dhsimmonds

Is this the shape of the OMD E-M5 replacement?

There is a lot of internet traffic on this and the other new Oly cameras due for launch in September. Olympus UK have announced the week starting 15th September for Olympus days in many venues through the UK.
Is this Olympus OM-D E-M1? - Blog for mirrorless and premium compact cameras

Also: http://m43blog.com/this-is-how-olympus-om-d-e-m1-will-exceed-iq-of-e-m5/

The PDAF (Phase detect AF off sensor) feature could even solve our BIF problems!! Apparently Sony have collaborated with Oly on a completely new sensor with improved resolution over the E-M5.

Exciting stuff if it's good as the words say! I also like the separate WB feature.

Godfrey

I've read a few different rumor articles about this upcoming camera. It all sounds very positive to me. I look forward to seeing what gets delivered.

My only reservation, really, is the size. One of the things that turns me away from the E-M5 is that it seems too small and cramped when I hold it, too many controls in too small a space. It is like the Minolta A2 of 2004 in that regard: I can learn to get comfortable with it, but it's not an immediate tactile success.

I pick up the old E-1 ... There's an immediate tactile success. It always feels just right, gets better as I use it. Same for the Leica M9, the Panasonic L1, recently the ancient Leicaflex SL.

It's probably a minor thing in the current milieu of "performance über alles" but I tend to gravitate to cameras that have this elusive tactile success and stick with them. Most cameras exceeded my personal needs in performance on most parameters some time ago.

G

ptomsu

Workshop Member
+1 on the too small size of the EM5.

If the new camera is similar small size, I will not be enthusiastic about it.

Godfrey

+1 on the too small size of the EM5.
If the new camera is similar small size, I will not be enthusiastic about it.
I'd like to add that it's not just the size. It's the ergonomics ... the Ricoh GXR is almost the same small size as the E-M5 and also has a bunch of controls in a small space, but somehow it never feels cramped in my hands. It feels good to handle and becomes more comfortable the more I use it too. The upcoming Panasonic GX7 looks like it will be similar (i hope), but I won't know until they ship and are at the store to handle.

emr

Have you tried the E-M5 with a grip? I couldn't hold mine without one. But with the original grip (without the extra battery part), it's much better. The stupid thing is that I have to unscrew the grip every time I want to change the battery. Which is unfortunately pretty often with the E-M5.

Interesting to see what the rumored new OM-D will be like. Especially the alleged option to use 4/3 lenses with better AF. But regarding looks, I'd much prefer pseudo-rangefinder esthetics to the current pseudo-SLR esthetics.

Riley

Is this the shape of the OMD E-M5 replacement?

There is a lot of internet traffic on this and the other new Oly cameras due for launch in September. Olympus UK have announced the week starting 15th September for Olympus days in many venues through the UK.
Is this Olympus OM-D E-M1? - Blog for mirrorless and premium compact cameras

Also: This is how Olympus OM-D E-M1 will exceed IQ of E-M5 - Blog for mirrorless and premium compact cameras

The PDAF (Phase detect AF off sensor) feature could even solve our BIF problems!! Apparently Sony have collaborated with Oly on a completely new sensor with improved resolution over the E-M5.

Exciting stuff if it's good as the words say! I also like the separate WB feature.
well
no ...

emr

Here's a link to a video, Olympus OM-D E-M1 Camera Hands-On - Video - Engadget and 43 rumors has posted pictures.
That video looks genuine. A premature release of the presentation before an official announcement. Somebody is going to get his *** kicked for this.

So the rumors of a hybrid m43/43 mount were inaccurate and 43 lenses still need an adapter.

EDIT: And now the link's dead. Somebody in charge found out I guess.

Last edited:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
That video looks genuine. A premature release of the presentation before an official announcement. Somebody is going to get his *** kicked for this.

So the rumors of a hybrid m43/43 mount were inaccurate and 43 lenses still need an adapter.

EDIT: And now the link's dead. Somebody in charge found out I guess.
Link is here

Olympus OM D E M1 - YouTube

BradA

Surprising this is still out there. Between the EM1, the GH3, the GX7, the P5 and the lower end bodies, there should be something for almost everyone in the lineup. Will be very interested to see how the older 43 Zuiko lenses focus. I've been looking at the Panny 12-35 and am interested to see what Oly releases for a higher end standard zoom. But, I have a 12-60 and if that worked well on the EM1...

Godfrey

Have you tried the E-M5 with a grip? I couldn't hold mine without one. But with the original grip (without the extra battery part), it's much better. The stupid thing is that I have to unscrew the grip every time I want to change the battery. Which is unfortunately pretty often with the E-M5.

Interesting to see what the rumored new OM-D will be like. Especially the alleged option to use 4/3 lenses with better AF. But regarding looks, I'd much prefer pseudo-rangefinder esthetics to the current pseudo-SLR esthetics.
I'm generally not a big fan of most grips ... As you point out, they can be cumbersome for some things, and of course they're just making the camera larger—not a great deal of design elegance in that. Small cameras can be ergonomic, but it takes a lot of design subtlety.

I'm with you on the aesthetics... :)

G

greypilgrim

I'm generally not a big fan of most grips ... As you point out, they can be cumbersome for some things, and of course they're just making the camera larger—not a great deal of design elegance in that. Small cameras can be ergonomic, but it takes a lot of design subtlety.

I'm with you on the aesthetics... :)

G
I ended up with the Really Right Stuff grip for the EM-5 sacrificing a little design in favor of ergonomics and function as it gives me a tripod plate as well. With the grip, the EM-5 sits as well in the hand as the older G1, G2, GH2 design did for me.

Of course, ergonomics is an individual thing.

I did recently try the Fuji's and found them awkward while others rave about them.

I would have to see a significant delta between the new OM-d and the EM-5 for me to be tempted as I am quite satisfied with what I have in terms of ergonomics, IQ, and performance (not perhaps what Olympus wants to hear, but a nice position to be in).

Doug

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Saw the video. If the AF is as good as promised, this may be able to replace my Nikon DX cameras for action photography. Very interesting. That would literally lift a burden off my shoulders :)