The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Olympus OM-DM-E1 ??

dhsimmonds

The video was pulled earlier today, I wonder why??

However there are a number of sites showing screen shots from the video, ie Steve Huff, 4/3 rumours and a number of others. The product pics indicate that they are very much of a prototype, if not a mock-up. The grip looks like it is stuck on for example. I doubt if Olympus gave their approval for this to be shown in such a state.

Having said all that there are some definite good things about the layout of both top and rear plates. A much more pro layout in fact. I like the large AFL button at top right rear, just the perfect position for activation by a right thumb!

Looking forward to seeing more info about this new Oly as the days progress towards launch day. :thumbs:

jonoslack

The video was pulled earlier today, I wonder why??

However there are a number of sites showing screen shots from the video, ie Steve Huff, 4/3 rumours and a number of others. The product pics indicate that they are very much of a prototype, if not a mock-up. The grip looks like it is stuck on for example. I doubt if Olympus gave their approval for this to be shown in such a state.

Having said all that there are some definite good things about the layout of both top and rear plates. A much more pro layout in fact. I like the large AFL button at top right rear, just the perfect position for activation by a right thumb!

Looking forward to seeing more info about this new Oly as the days progress towards launch day. :thumbs:
HI There
The video was from Engadget, and was clearly real - so much so that it did say it was pulled by copyright request from Engadget.
It could be a con, but it seems very unlikely. I'm pretty sure that Olympus didn't give their approval either - but that doesn't mean it isn't real!

I have to say, if it works as it implies I think it'll be wonderful.

dhsimmonds

Here is another set of rumored Olympus E-M1 specifications:

New DSLR type grip
16MP sensor
81 AF target points
10 fps
Built-in Wi-Fi
Flash sync speed: 1/320s
ISO range: 200-25600
Shutter speed: 1/8000s-60s
3" tiltable TFT LCD touch screen
EVF with 2,360,000 pixels
Micro Four Thirds mount only (not a hybrid mount)
Weight: 430g | 0.9Ib
Dimensions (WxHxD): 122mm × 68mm × 37mm | 4.8" × 2.7" × 1.5"

jonoslack

Here is another set of rumored Olympus E-M1 specifications:

New DSLR type grip
16MP sensor
81 AF target points
10 fps
Built-in Wi-Fi
Flash sync speed: 1/320s
ISO range: 200-25600
Shutter speed: 1/8000s-60s
3" tiltable TFT LCD touch screen
EVF with 2,360,000 pixels
Micro Four Thirds mount only (not a hybrid mount)
Weight: 430g | 0.9Ib
Dimensions (WxHxD): 122mm × 68mm × 37mm | 4.8" × 2.7" × 1.5"
That seems to tie up nicely with the video - I've not seen anywhere recently that there would be a hybrid mount (there will be a full speed AF adapter for 4/3 lenses as I understand it). Despite what some have said the LCD on the video looks eminently tillable - (sounds a bit light though and the EM5 is 89mm high, so 68 sounds unlikely).

all the best

scott kirkpatrick

pre-announced today. there's a short description on the olympus website and they are taking pre-orders. Information in this thread seems to have been correct.

scott

Godfrey

Looking very good.

Now let's see if support makes it into the Lightroom 5.2 release ... 5.2RC has been out a while. :)

G

dhsimmonds

I have placed an advance order and paid my deposit so I should now also be able to claim my free accessory.....it will be the battery grip! :thumbs:

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
I moved away from 4/3 years ago. Having said that, on occasion I found myself looking up used E-1 bodies, regretting that I sold this in some ways. Some of the the ZD optics are stellar in deed.

As for the -10 degrees celsius claim. Well, I wonder how long the batteries are holding up in those conditions.

As for build quality, I would expect a lot from the EM1 and the pro line of optics. Looks very much like a desirable camera to me, suitable to withstand challenges like shooting the metal open air concert, W.O.A. Waaaackeeeeen. :D

Riley

As for the -10 degrees celsius claim. Well, I wonder how long the batteries are holding up in those conditions.
circuits that are 'on' create their own warmth

so just loop: temp detector > circuit connect sw > temp detector > circuit disconnect sw

Godfrey

post-fondling

I posted this in another thread, sorry if you've seen it before.
-----
Back from fondling the E-M1 at the camera shop.

- Nice, tight, solid feel.

- Without the HLD7 fitted, it's a little small in my hands (I take an L-XL glove size) for medium to larger lenses. With the HLD7 fitted, it feels very nice indeed. The control spacings and buttons are nicely placed and just big enough to work easily.

- I tested my ZD 35 Macro and ZD 11-22 zoom on it. If there's a difference in focusing speed between it and the E-5, I'm not sensitive to it; it's certainly faster than the E-1 or E-PL1—neither are the fastest focusing lenses in anyone's bag. Focusing accuracy seems very good, for the 16 quick point-and-snap photos I made, they are all but one right on the money.

- ISO 800 produces very good results, and the stabilization worked a treat at 1/10-1/20 second.

- It's hard to tell you're looking at an EVF: the viewfinder is very clean, very transparent. I can manually focus either of the above lenses easily without bothering with either magnification or peaking assist in most cases.

- Lightroom 5.2 imported the .ORF files without a hiccup, and for it's being "preliminary", the colors look very accurate and well-balanced.

Glad I ordered one. After handling it with and without, I ordered the HLD7 battery grip as I know I'll want it.

Regards a body+lens kit, the Olympus representative could not say anything substantive. As of the present time, the 12-40/2.8 lens has been pushed to end of November/early December delivery, and there is no kit bundle to talk about.

Nice camera. I'm going to enjoy it. :)

G