Site Sponsors

Thread: Olympus OM-DM-E1 ??

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Olympus OM-DM-E1 ??

Is this the shape of the OMD E-M5 replacement?

There is a lot of internet traffic on this and the other new Oly cameras due for launch in September. Olympus UK have announced the week starting 15th September for Olympus days in many venues through the UK.
    Is this Olympus OM-D E-M1? - Blog for mirrorless and premium compact cameras

Also: http://m43blog.com/this-is-how-olymp...ed-iq-of-e-m5/

The PDAF (Phase detect AF off sensor) feature could even solve our BIF problems!! Apparently Sony have collaborated with Oly on a completely new sensor with improved resolution over the E-M5.

Exciting stuff if it's good as the words say! I also like the separate WB feature.
    Cheers, Dave
    www.simmondsphotography.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Olympus OM-DM-E1 ??

I've read a few different rumor articles about this upcoming camera. It all sounds very positive to me. I look forward to seeing what gets delivered.

My only reservation, really, is the size. One of the things that turns me away from the E-M5 is that it seems too small and cramped when I hold it, too many controls in too small a space. It is like the Minolta A2 of 2004 in that regard: I can learn to get comfortable with it, but it's not an immediate tactile success.

I pick up the old E-1 ... There's an immediate tactile success. It always feels just right, gets better as I use it. Same for the Leica M9, the Panasonic L1, recently the ancient Leicaflex SL.

It's probably a minor thing in the current milieu of "performance Łber alles" but I tend to gravitate to cameras that have this elusive tactile success and stick with them. Most cameras exceeded my personal needs in performance on most parameters some time ago.

G

Post Thanks / Like

+1 on the too small size of the EM5.

If the new camera is similar small size, I will not be enthusiastic about it.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    +1 on the too small size of the EM5.
    If the new camera is similar small size, I will not be enthusiastic about it.
    I'd like to add that it's not just the size. It's the ergonomics ... the Ricoh GXR is almost the same small size as the E-M5 and also has a bunch of controls in a small space, but somehow it never feels cramped in my hands. It feels good to handle and becomes more comfortable the more I use it too. The upcoming Panasonic GX7 looks like it will be similar (i hope), but I won't know until they ship and are at the store to handle.

Post Thanks / Like

Have you tried the E-M5 with a grip? I couldn't hold mine without one. But with the original grip (without the extra battery part), it's much better. The stupid thing is that I have to unscrew the grip every time I want to change the battery. Which is unfortunately pretty often with the E-M5.

Interesting to see what the rumored new OM-D will be like. Especially the alleged option to use 4/3 lenses with better AF. But regarding looks, I'd much prefer pseudo-rangefinder esthetics to the current pseudo-SLR esthetics.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dhsimmonds View Post
    Is this the shape of the OMD E-M5 replacement?

There is a lot of internet traffic on this and the other new Oly cameras due for launch in September. Olympus UK have announced the week starting 15th September for Olympus days in many venues through the UK.
    Is this Olympus OM-D E-M1? - Blog for mirrorless and premium compact cameras

Also: This is how Olympus OM-D E-M1 will exceed IQ of E-M5 - Blog for mirrorless and premium compact cameras

The PDAF (Phase detect AF off sensor) feature could even solve our BIF problems!! Apparently Sony have collaborated with Oly on a completely new sensor with improved resolution over the E-M5.

Exciting stuff if it's good as the words say! I also like the separate WB feature.
    well
    no ...

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a link to a video, Olympus OM-D E-M1 Camera Hands-On - Video - Engadget and 43 rumors has posted pictures.

Post Thanks / Like

And the sensor? Any info whether Sony developped an even better one?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BradA View Post
    Here's a link to a video, Olympus OM-D E-M1 Camera Hands-On - Video - Engadget and 43 rumors has posted pictures.
    That video looks genuine. A premature release of the presentation before an official announcement. Somebody is going to get his *** kicked for this.

So the rumors of a hybrid m43/43 mount were inaccurate and 43 lenses still need an adapter.

EDIT: And now the link's dead. Somebody in charge found out I guess.
    Last edited by emr; 18th August 2013 at 08:27.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by emr View Post
    That video looks genuine. A premature release of the presentation before an official announcement. Somebody is going to get his *** kicked for this.

So the rumors of a hybrid m43/43 mount were inaccurate and 43 lenses still need an adapter.

EDIT: And now the link's dead. Somebody in charge found out I guess.
    Link is here

Olympus OM D E M1 - YouTube
    Life is an ever changing journey
    http://photography.tomsu.eu/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/peter_...tography/sets/
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Looking good!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Seems pretty good to me !

Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like

Seems excellent to me

Peter

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe. But I'll buy Lumix GX7!

Post Thanks / Like

Surprising this is still out there. Between the EM1, the GH3, the GX7, the P5 and the lower end bodies, there should be something for almost everyone in the lineup. Will be very interested to see how the older 43 Zuiko lenses focus. I've been looking at the Panny 12-35 and am interested to see what Oly releases for a higher end standard zoom. But, I have a 12-60 and if that worked well on the EM1...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by emr View Post
    Have you tried the E-M5 with a grip? I couldn't hold mine without one. But with the original grip (without the extra battery part), it's much better. The stupid thing is that I have to unscrew the grip every time I want to change the battery. Which is unfortunately pretty often with the E-M5.

Interesting to see what the rumored new OM-D will be like. Especially the alleged option to use 4/3 lenses with better AF. But regarding looks, I'd much prefer pseudo-rangefinder esthetics to the current pseudo-SLR esthetics.
    I'm generally not a big fan of most grips ... As you point out, they can be cumbersome for some things, and of course they're just making the camera largerónot a great deal of design elegance in that. Small cameras can be ergonomic, but it takes a lot of design subtlety.

I'm with you on the aesthetics... :-)

G

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    That's the pro-grade Olympus I've been predicting/expecting for some time now. More of the E-5 design aesthetic than E-M5. Just looking at the body I can see a lot of subtle things that make me happy.

G

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Godfrey
    Looks wonderful to me too.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    I'm generally not a big fan of most grips ... As you point out, they can be cumbersome for some things, and of course they're just making the camera largerónot a great deal of design elegance in that. Small cameras can be ergonomic, but it takes a lot of design subtlety.

I'm with you on the aesthetics... :-)

G
    I ended up with the Really Right Stuff grip for the EM-5 sacrificing a little design in favor of ergonomics and function as it gives me a tripod plate as well. With the grip, the EM-5 sits as well in the hand as the older G1, G2, GH2 design did for me.

Of course, ergonomics is an individual thing.

I did recently try the Fuji's and found them awkward while others rave about them.

I would have to see a significant delta between the new OM-d and the EM-5 for me to be tempted as I am quite satisfied with what I have in terms of ergonomics, IQ, and performance (not perhaps what Olympus wants to hear, but a nice position to be in).

Doug

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Saw the video. If the AF is as good as promised, this may be able to replace my Nikon DX cameras for action photography. Very interesting. That would literally lift a burden off my shoulders
    Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The video was pulled earlier today, I wonder why??

However there are a number of sites showing screen shots from the video, ie Steve Huff, 4/3 rumours and a number of others. The product pics indicate that they are very much of a prototype, if not a mock-up. The grip looks like it is stuck on for example. I doubt if Olympus gave their approval for this to be shown in such a state.

Having said all that there are some definite good things about the layout of both top and rear plates. A much more pro layout in fact. I like the large AFL button at top right rear, just the perfect position for activation by a right thumb!

Looking forward to seeing more info about this new Oly as the days progress towards launch day.
    Cheers, Dave

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The video was pulled earlier today, I wonder why??

However there are a number of sites showing screen shots from the video, ie Steve Huff, 4/3 rumours and a number of others. The product pics indicate that they are very much of a prototype, if not a mock-up. The grip looks like it is stuck on for example. I doubt if Olympus gave their approval for this to be shown in such a state.

Having said all that there are some definite good things about the layout of both top and rear plates. A much more pro layout in fact. I like the large AFL button at top right rear, just the perfect position for activation by a right thumb!

Looking forward to seeing more info about this new Oly as the days progress towards launch day.
    HI There
    The video was from Engadget, and was clearly real - so much so that it did say it was pulled by copyright request from Engadget.
    It could be a con, but it seems very unlikely. I'm pretty sure that Olympus didn't give their approval either - but that doesn't mean it isn't real!

I have to say, if it works as it implies I think it'll be wonderful.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here is another set of rumored Olympus E-M1 specifications:

New DSLR type grip
    16MP sensor
    81 AF target points
    10 fps
    Built-in Wi-Fi
    Flash sync speed: 1/320s
    ISO range: 200-25600
    Shutter speed: 1/8000s-60s
    3" tiltable TFT LCD touch screen
    EVF with 2,360,000 pixels
    Micro Four Thirds mount only (not a hybrid mount)
    Weight: 430g | 0.9Ib
    Dimensions (WxHxD): 122mm ◊ 68mm ◊ 37mm | 4.8" ◊ 2.7" ◊ 1.5"
    Cheers, Dave

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here is another set of rumored Olympus E-M1 specifications:

New DSLR type grip
    16MP sensor
    81 AF target points
    10 fps
    Built-in Wi-Fi
    Flash sync speed: 1/320s
    ISO range: 200-25600
    Shutter speed: 1/8000s-60s
    3" tiltable TFT LCD touch screen
    EVF with 2,360,000 pixels
    Micro Four Thirds mount only (not a hybrid mount)
    Weight: 430g | 0.9Ib
    Dimensions (WxHxD): 122mm ◊ 68mm ◊ 37mm | 4.8" ◊ 2.7" ◊ 1.5"
    That seems to tie up nicely with the video - I've not seen anywhere recently that there would be a hybrid mount (there will be a full speed AF adapter for 4/3 lenses as I understand it). Despite what some have said the LCD on the video looks eminently tillable - (sounds a bit light though and the EM5 is 89mm high, so 68 sounds unlikely).

all the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

pre-announced today. there's a short description on the olympus website and they are taking pre-orders. Information in this thread seems to have been correct.

scott

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    With best regards, K-H.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking very good.

Now let's see if support makes it into the Lightroom 5.2 release ... 5.2RC has been out a while. :-)

G

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have placed an advance order and paid my deposit so I should now also be able to claim my free accessory.....it will be the battery grip!
    Cheers, Dave

Subscriber Member Georg Baumann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I moved away from 4/3 years ago. Having said that, on occasion I found myself looking up used E-1 bodies, regretting that I sold this in some ways. Some of the the ZD optics are stellar in deed.

As for the -10 degrees celsius claim. Well, I wonder how long the batteries are holding up in those conditions.

As for build quality, I would expect a lot from the EM1 and the pro line of optics. Looks very much like a desirable camera to me, suitable to withstand challenges like shooting the metal open air concert, W.O.A. Waaaackeeeeen.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Georg Baumann View Post

As for the -10 degrees celsius claim. Well, I wonder how long the batteries are holding up in those conditions.
    circuits that are 'on' create their own warmth

so just loop: temp detector > circuit connect sw > temp detector > circuit disconnect sw

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

post-fondling

I posted this in another thread, sorry if you've seen it before.
    -----
    Back from fondling the E-M1 at the camera shop.

- Nice, tight, solid feel.

- Without the HLD7 fitted, it's a little small in my hands (I take an L-XL glove size) for medium to larger lenses. With the HLD7 fitted, it feels very nice indeed. The control spacings and buttons are nicely placed and just big enough to work easily.

- I tested my ZD 35 Macro and ZD 11-22 zoom on it. If there's a difference in focusing speed between it and the E-5, I'm not sensitive to it; it's certainly faster than the E-1 or E-PL1óneither are the fastest focusing lenses in anyone's bag. Focusing accuracy seems very good, for the 16 quick point-and-snap photos I made, they are all but one right on the money.

- ISO 800 produces very good results, and the stabilization worked a treat at 1/10-1/20 second.

- It's hard to tell you're looking at an EVF: the viewfinder is very clean, very transparent. I can manually focus either of the above lenses easily without bothering with either magnification or peaking assist in most cases.

- Lightroom 5.2 imported the .ORF files without a hiccup, and for it's being "preliminary", the colors look very accurate and well-balanced.

Glad I ordered one. After handling it with and without, I ordered the HLD7 battery grip as I know I'll want it.

Regards a body+lens kit, the Olympus representative could not say anything substantive. As of the present time, the 12-40/2.8 lens has been pushed to end of November/early December delivery, and there is no kit bundle to talk about.

Nice camera. I'm going to enjoy it. :-)

G