The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

ptomsu

Workshop Member
When I recently shot my daughters' party, I used the E-M5 and not the K-5 because the Olympus contrast detect AF is so much more accurate than the notorious K-5 AF which is more a hit and miss business. But ergonomically there's no question which is better: Pentax.
Well, the new SAFOX X in the K5II and K5IIs is night and day compared to the old AF module of the K5, which performed as bad that I finally sold the K5. The New AF module is not only more accurate and faster, it works also down to -3EV, which is hardly to be found in many cameras. And the "only" 11 AF points turn out to be pretty enough, especially as they also allow decent continuous AF of moving subjects. There are faster AF systems today (Nikon, Canon) but hardly to be found in m43 like EM5, which has one of the fastest m43 AF systems. Maybe the new EM1 will be able to top that.

But as of state of today I am pretty satisfied withe the K5II and K5IIs AF performance and the EM1 would need to be a lot improved over the EM5, so that I would give it a try just because of AF.

Godfrey

... There are faster AF systems today (Nikon, Canon) but hardly to be found in m43 like EM5, which has one of the fastest m43 AF systems. Maybe the new EM1 will be able to top that. ...
It's hard to make a judgement until the camera ships. I expect the E-M1 AF system will be completely different from the E-M5 courtesy its new sensor with PDAF on chip, a first for Micro-FourThirds I believe.

The funny thing for me, tho, is that I hardly use AF for anything fast moving. I only use it as a convenience on easy to lock in subjects when shooting casually ... Accuracy is much more important to me than speed. Even the E-1 system, with only three AF sensor points, seems to work fast enough in most lighting to fulfill my desires. Otherwise I prefer manually focusing my lenses. :)

G

ptomsu

Workshop Member
It's hard to make a judgement until the camera ships. I expect the E-M1 AF system will be completely different from the E-M5 courtesy its new sensor with PDAF on chip, a first for Micro-FourThirds I believe.

The funny thing for me, tho, is that I hardly use AF for anything fast moving. I only use it as a convenience on easy to lock in subjects when shooting casually ... Accuracy is much more important to me than speed. Even the E-1 system, with only three AF sensor points, seems to work fast enough in most lighting to fulfill my desires. Otherwise I prefer manually focusing my lenses. :)

G
But also for manually focusing the current Pentax system seems to be superior to any m43 available IMHO - at least for me as there is a real mirror.

Also for me the current AF speed of the EM5 and the K5IIs are sufficient. I very seldom miss the AF of my D800E ;)

What really counts for me how easy a camera overall is to handle. And here the K5IIs is the clear winner so far. Maybe with the new EM1 it will become a different story - there is hope :cool:

Peter

Godfrey

But also for manually focusing the current Pentax system seems to be superior to any m43 available IMHO - at least for me as there is a real mirror.

Also for me the current AF speed of the EM5 and the K5IIs are sufficient. I very seldom miss the AF of my D800E ;)

What really counts for me how easy a camera overall is to handle. And here the K5IIs is the clear winner so far. Maybe with the new EM1 it will become a different story - there is hope :cool:
Goes to show how different people are. I find even the old Panasonic G1 far far easier to focus then any Pentax APS-C DSLR. And the handling feel of the Pentax K5 does nothing for me at all .. Feels unbalanced, blocky, with switches in the wrong places.

No one camera will make everyone smile. :)

G

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Goes to show how different people are. I find even the old Panasonic G1 far far easier to focus then any Pentax APS-C DSLR. And the handling feel of the Pentax K5 does nothing for me at all .. Feels unbalanced, blocky, with switches in the wrong places.

No one camera will make everyone smile. :)

G
This is really interesting. I never could love my GH2 and other Panasonic m43 cameras ergonomics.

People are obviously different ;)

Thorkil

I have consider changing my m4/3 gear for a Pentax kit though... :rolleyes:
And I'm considering going from Pentax K-5II to the E-M1 :)
But I miss the Nikon matrix metering a lot where I got spot on light 99% of the time, and you could turn around and just fire away (but pictures were often somehow a bit dull in appearence), but even a D600 is awfull big and intruding.
Thorkil

dhsimmonds

I have just read one of the numerous rumour sites which indicated that phase detect AF would only be available for Zuiko 4/3 lenses which are designed for Phase detect AF. http://www.echenique.com/?p=2172

If this is right then users of mZuiko lenses will be no better off!

Very early days yet, but at the moment that would be a show stopper for me!

If I had to buy 4/3 lenses which would put the bulk and weight of my gear up just to more easily get action shots, then I would seriously consider going back to a DSLR instead. There are some very good smaller DSLR's around now which are cheaper than this new Oly!

Last edited:

simort

The K-5 is the only DSLR that is close to competing with m4/3 when it comes to size and weight. I shoot Nikon, and when considering Nikon camera bodies and and lenses with similar qualities to what I have in m4/3, there's no competition whatsoever.

Now this is an unexpectedly interesting thread... I have been on the fence for weeks, trying to decide whether to upgrade my K7 to a first generation K5 + 18-135 (found a deal for €730 for the combo!) or go for a OM-D... and still haven't made up my mind... stick with the slightly unreliable AF but with a good and know body, or improve the AF and make a leap of faith on ergonomics (never handled an OM-D before)?

Craftysnapper

The K-5 is the only DSLR that is close to competing with m4/3 when it comes to size and weight. I shoot Nikon, and when considering Nikon camera bodies and and lenses with similar qualities to what I have in m4/3, there's no competition whatsoever.

You are joking aren't you Jorgen! :)

Canon 100D 407 gms and small, lenses not so much

OM-D E-M5 425 gms and smaller

Pentax K-30 650 gms and not so small

Pentax K-5 670 gms and not so small

Brian Mosley

Now this is an unexpectedly interesting thread... I have been on the fence for weeks, trying to decide whether to upgrade my K7 to a first generation K5 + 18-135 (found a deal for €730 for the combo!) or go for a OM-D... and still haven't made up my mind... stick with the slightly unreliable AF but with a good and know body, or improve the AF and make a leap of faith on ergonomics (never handled an OM-D before)?
I wouldn't recommend taking a 'leap of faith' on ergonomics - make sure you handle the E-M5 and E-M1 before making a decision.

Personally, I'll keep my E-M5 and add the E-M1 when it becomes available.

Cheers

Brian

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
You are joking aren't you Jorgen! :)

Canon 100D 407 gms and small, lenses not so much

OM-D E-M5 425 gms and smaller

Pentax K-30 650 gms and not so small

Pentax K-5 670 gms and not so small
I prefer cameras that don't have a pinhole for a viewfinder :)
If I didn't, I would have bought a D5200 long ago.

Brian Mosley

Constant f2.8 aperture. Veeeery nice.

It will be hard to hold back on this one... but considering the brand new sensor, new focusing mechanism, electronic shutter - there will be plenty of scope for teething problems :watch:

Still, I think I'm ready to take the lead on this one!

Brian

ggibson

Electronic shutter? Haven't heard that rumor yet (so far only in Panasonic models).

I wasn't a fan of the look in the original leaked images, but the official images show a more balanced design. The grip still looks kind of glued-on to me though. But if it works ergonomically, that's all that matters.

BradA

I have just read one of the numerous rumour sites which indicated that phase detect AF would only be available for Zuiko 4/3 lenses which are designed for Phase detect AF. Leaked Specs and Photos of the Olympus OM-D E-M1 » Echenique dot com

If this is right then users of mZuiko lenses will be no better off!

Very early days yet, but at the moment that would be a show stopper for me!

If I had to buy 4/3 lenses which would put the bulk and weight of my gear up just to more easily get action shots, then I would seriously consider going back to a DSLR instead. There are some very good smaller DSLR's around now which are cheaper than this new Oly!
Last I've read, and who will really know until it's been released and folks have had a chance to test it, is that PDAF would be active in continuous autofocus with all lenses and that the camera would use pdaf with Zuiko lenses and cdaf with native m43 lenses. It'll be interesting to see how well this camera works with the standard 43 lenses and how well it does CAF tracking.

ggibson

Ouch, video specs are posted on 43rumors as limited to 30p. No 24p or even 25p for PAL seems just silly. It's too bad because the 5-axis IS does a great job stabilizing video.

Godfrey

Ouch, video specs are posted on 43rumors as limited to 30p. No 24p or even 25p for PAL seems just silly. It's too bad because the 5-axis IS does a great job stabilizing video.
No big issue for me. I use the iPhone 4S for video capture ... that's the limit of my video foo. :)

G