Site Sponsors
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

Post Thanks / Like

Re: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Instead of going cross-eyed from reading all the numbers and statistics, and trying to divine why this camera is better than some other camera—or not—including some other camera that I already own. And reading all the various folderal of reviews and debates pro-con ad nauseam ....

I'm putting in my order because I want one. I'm sure it will be a fine camera, I can pay for it, and I'll use it.

What better reasons to buy a camera do I need? ]'-)

G
    I do not believe anyone has said otherwise :-)

- Ricardo

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here's a quote from Part 2 of Ming's review:

"And here we come full circle: I compare the E-M1 to the D600 because it’s the cheapest entry into full frame (and I didn’t have access to a pro DX camera; in any case, none of the current lineup match it on spec either) – and whilst the D600 still holds a bit of an advantage in image quality, it’s not as much as you might think; less in practical application; far more of the difference will come down to shot discipline and how the images are processed. And that’s assuming pixels are going to be peeped: they’re close enough that even at 100% it takes a reasonably trained eye to spot the difference. Everybody will see the composition first, of course. Even if we’d had DX cameras in the mix, the results would be even closer still – if not an even match. Even as it stands, I haven’t observed that much difference in underlying sensor quality between the GR and OM-D; at stop, at most. Most of the difference is due to the optics. Yet despite its sensor, the D600 lags behind in every other specification; it’s not until you hit the full-fat D4 that you can match frame rates or environmental sealing. Bottom line: there is simply nothing quite like the E-M1 at the moment – a very compact professional system camera."

Food for thought. m4/3 seems to be ready for prime time. When looking at the 12-40mm samples, it's quite clear that this is a lens that is designed for shooting at full aperture. One has to look very closely to see much difference between f/2.8 and f/5.6, even in the corners.

Lens test here:
    Lens review: The Olympus 12-40/2.8 M.Zuiko PRO
    Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks for the link Jorgen,

I had a nice day out with a lucky few Olympus Photo Safari Group members in the London area yesterday to get a first hands-on session with the E-M1 and mZD PRO 12-40mm f2.8

We're blessed now, with some first rate reviewers like Ming Thein above, Robin Wong is also an easy read and a few more so I won't add anything technical to those.

I was half expecting / hoping the 12-40mm f2.8 would make an m4/3rds optimised version of the 12-60 and Olympus did better than that - this is one seriously high spec camera kit.

The feel is instantly far more pleasurable than the E-M5 + grip, despite being about the same size it feels more businesslike. The buttons, dials and switches are all beautifully tactile and precise. Still some focus firmware development to come for the more exotic ZD 90-250mm f2.8, Sigma 150 macro and Bigma as you'd expect at this stage, which suggests we'll see even more in terms of 4/3rds focus performance than any previous body.

I was shocked how well they've managed to make the camera balance and perform with full sized ZD lenses like the 12-60 - focusing is easily on a par (actually feels faster due to different focusing algorithm) with my E-3. E-system shooters now have a valid upgrade path from the E-5 and a bridge to the new m4/3rds developments.

If the E-M5 got a 10/10 for opening heavy shooters eyes to the potential of m4/rds, prepare to see the dam burst... This one goes all the way up to 11.

p.s. Focus peaking works with all lenses! You need to assign it to an external button to switch it on/off for legacy lenses, as it slows the EVF refresh rate slightly.
    Comparing E-M5 directly with E-M1 viewfinders, the E-M1 is more natural, less grainy and noticeably larger.

I hope Olympus haven't underestimated demand for this system - this is a safe pre-order folks.

Cheers

Brian
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't seen a preview yet trying to find out how the camera does in lower light with 4/3rds lenses. I expect the AF to go worse as it does for all cameras, but what I would like to see is if it keeps parity with the E-3/E-5. Not too worried about the native lenses.

This only matters to those of us with a 4/3rds lens system.

- Ricardo

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If I can get more hands on time with it, I'll let you know how it performs in very low light, but it seems to do better (as with typical pdaf) with high contrast edges - especially vertical lines.

Performance definitely on a par with E-3 (from personal experience) - with potential to be better if Olympus keep pushing the firmware developers (you know how that goes Ricardo, last in - most pressure before launch!). Hybrid cdaf/pdaf has a lot of potential.

Cheers

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Mosley View Post
    I hope Olympus haven't underestimated demand for this system - this is a safe pre-order folks. Brian
    I have placed an advance order and paid my deposit so I should now also be able to claim my free accessory.....it will be the battery grip!
    Cheers, Dave
    www.simmondsphotography.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, I'm in. I just placed my pre-order with the new zoom included. The clincher was Ming's review of the lens, published today.

I spend waay too much on cameras....

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by raist3d View Post
    I haven't seen a preview yet trying to find out how the camera does in lower light with 4/3rds lenses. I expect the AF to go worse as it does for all cameras, but what I would like to see is if it keeps parity with the E-3/E-5. Not too worried about the native lenses.

This only matters to those of us with a 4/3rds lens system.

- Ricardo
    Hi There Ricardo
    Here is a link to dPreview's updated page:
    AF performance

They seem to think the tracking with µ43 lenses is on a par with the Nikon 1, and that with the 43 lenses it's on a par with the E5 - but as you suggested, probably not so good in lower light.

All the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dhsimmonds View Post

I have placed an advance order and paid my deposit so I should now also be able to claim my free accessory.....it will be the battery grip!
    Dave, I look forward to seeing your pics...and to hear what you think of it. I tried the EM-5 and did not like the ergonomics so went for the GH3. The EM-1 is interesting, just have to hold one I guess.

Phil
    Photo-Matix Imagery - Capturing Life with a camera
    Panasonic Lumix GX8, Lumix G85, Lumix GX7, and various lenses.
    Gallery: http://photos.photo-matix.com.au

Post Thanks / Like

Careful guys all this talk could drive down the price of the GH3 even further it's already around 2/3ds the price of the new Olympus. That's here in the UK. Not comparing cameras here just prices.
    I'm a long time ago Olympus user and imagine the 12-40 will be a very good lens. I wasn't unhappy with the 14-54 on the E1 as a general lens. I mostly used the 11-22 and 50-200 on two E1 bodies. Loved the 150 f2 as I said in an earlier post. What a lens that could be on the E-M1.
    In my dotage I've sort of gone back to that with a 14mm and 55-200 on Fuji, again with the standard zoom as a knock around lens, although I'm not sure it will knock around much longer. Commitment to this system takes me out of the Olympus equation. One of the joys of retirement is that it removes the pressure to take photos to please others.
    Looking forward to seeing what you guys do with the new camera, probably the same as you did with your old ones, but I hope it brings added enjoyment to the process.
    David

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by DavidL View Post
    Careful guys all this talk could drive down the price of the GH3 even further it's already around 2/3ds the price of the new Olympus. That's here in the UK. Not comparing cameras here just prices.
    I'm a long time ago Olympus user and imagine the 12-40 will be a very good lens. I wasn't unhappy with the 14-54 on the E1 as a general lens. I mostly used the 11-22 and 50-200 on two E1 bodies. Loved the 150 f2 as I said in an earlier post. What a lens that could be on the E-M1.
    In my dotage I've sort of gone back to that with a 14mm and 55-200 on Fuji, again with the standard zoom as a knock around lens, although I'm not sure it will knock around much longer. Commitment to this system takes me out of the Olympus equation. One of the joys of retirement is that it removes the pressure to take photos to please others.
    Looking forward to seeing what you guys do with the new camera, probably the same as you did with your old ones, but I hope it brings added enjoyment to the process.
    David
    David, What an odd comment to make! GH3, etc m43rds are not only over priced but also getting to be bigger and heavier. It seems to me that big chunk of the preorder folks are buying a set (and not a system) which makes the EM1+the zoom as more on par with the high end point and shoot cameras out there.

Comparison to the old D700 is hilarious. Are there any comparable lens ranges, flashes and other accessories available in the m43rds- pro or amateur?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tashley View Post
    Ok, I'm in. I just placed my pre-order with the new zoom included. The clincher was Ming's review of the lens, published today.

Same here. Reserved mine today. I don't need it, but it's too hard to resist. If it's typically of most Oly top end camera upgrade schedule it's probably good for about three years. I have no issue with that. I'm happy with the E-M5's output and this looks a little better. With all the other improvements I'm ready to invest and get my enjoyment out of it.
    Charles - flickr
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My 2 cents - I always use both extra grips on the EM-5, so the new body looks about the same. My ONLY gripe with the EM-5 is the AF speed at the long end, and only for action shots with busy backgrounds. Is there any chance of an EM-1 lens pairing that will come close to big DSLR AF performance? It doesn't sound that way from the reviews so far.

Do I understand correctly that phase detection is limited to four-thirds lenses? It doesn't sound like it will apply to the upcoming Olympus pro tele-zoom, but we won't know how well the AF works till that lens appears.

Holding off for now...

Best,

Matt

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MGrayson View Post
    Do I understand correctly that phase detection is limited to four-thirds lenses? It doesn't sound like it will apply to the upcoming Olympus pro tele-zoom, but we won't know how well the AF works till that lens appears.

Holding off for now...

Best,

Matt
    No Matt. Phase detect is used for all lenses in continuous focus. It should be very very fast with the new telephoto lenses: whether it's as fast as a big professional dSLR is a different matter, I don't know the answer.

All the best

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post

Comparison to the old D700 is hilarious.
    I quite agree. An out of date camera whose image quality was much over rated on the basis of a small MP count (everyone WILL compare at 100%, even when it represents a different proportion of the image).
    I had one for several years.

Are there any comparable lens ranges, flashes and other accessories available in the m43rds- pro or amateur?
    Absolutely, both pro and auto. Funny thing to say

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

I expect the new PDAF to make the EM1 almost as useable as any Nikon or Canon Pro DSLR, if both are paired with right lenses.

Actually AF-C speed was really one thing which did not work on the EM5, now it should be perfect

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tashley View Post
    Now I feel like a member of CBA (Camera Buying Anonymous). :-\
    Yeah, I put in my order last night. No lens ... just the body and MMF-3.

Between the 11-22 and 35 Macro, and Leica R lenses from 50 to 180, I'm good. Maybe another fast prime lens at some point next year. Oh yeah, I better order a good Leica R to mFT mount adapter now...

G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This is one cam that opened my eyes when I read the announcement. If the continuous focus is really quick and I can get a fast long lens like a 300mm equivalent than I may really have to look at it.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

David, What an odd comment to make! GH3, etc m43rds are not only over priced but also getting to be bigger and heavier. It seems to me that big chunk of the preorder folks are buying a set (and not a system) which makes the EM1+the zoom as more on par with the high end point and shoot cameras out there.

Comparison to the old D700 is hilarious. Are there any comparable lens ranges, flashes and other accessories available in the m43rds- pro or amateur?
    I find no comparisons hilarious, and there are a few paradoxes out there. Here's one:

The only current Nikon model that has features comparable to the E-M1 is the D4 (megapixels, fps, buffer size, general functionality). The D4 is probably vastly superior when it comes to AF and high ISO, but it's three times as expensive, weighs twice as much, doesn't have articulated LCD, doesn't have IBIS etc. Now, try to buy a pro quality 600mm eqv. to each of those cameras. The Nikkor 600mm f/4 is $9,800 and 5 kg, the Zuiko 300mm f/2.8 is $7,000 and 3.3 kg. Ultra WA zoom? A comparison between the Panasonic 7-14 and the Nikkor 14-24 looks even worse.

Obviously, one can do things with the Nikon setup that can't be done with the Olympus, but that goes the other way as well. With the current economic climate for photographers, the choice would have been simple. The Olympus setup will almost always be good enough, and it's half the price and half the weight or thereabout. Still, it will probably take time before most established pros see this, but the up-and-coming will, enabling them to travel lighter, getting shots the others can't and still charge less.

When, in a couple of years, there's an E-M2 with even better high ISO and AF-C available plus even more pro level lenses at different lengths, this will look even worse for Canikon. Traditional DSLR technology is very mature, and apart from more megapixels and the ability to shoot in coal mines without flash, most improvements end up in the "nice to have" category.

m4/3 on the other hand didn't even exist until 5 years ago (G1 was launched 12 September 2008) and has developed from a nice hobby outfit to professional photo and video cameras with lenses to match in record time.

If I had any brain at all and wasn't so caught up in "old-machine-nostalgia", I would dump all my Nikon gear tomorrow and go all m4/3. Image and video qualities are good enough by a mile or more, and ergonomics are vastly superior.
    Last edited by Jorgen Udvang; 13th September 2013 at 10:41.
    Likes 10 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    If I had any brain at all and wasn't so caught up in "old-machine-nostalgia", I would dump all my Nikon gear tomorrow and go all m4/3. Image and video qualities are good enough by a mile or more, and ergonomics are vastly superior.
    I'm with ya there. Between the Robots, the Leicaflex SLs, the Nikon Fs, the 6x6 folders and Hasselblads, and the still-expanding Polaroid collection (yeah, a fourth one was gifted to me recently), it all gets a bit on the confusing side.

I'm due for a big sell off of excess stuff. Maybe I'll get it organized this weekend. It would be nice to pay for the E-M1 that way, put the money back in the bank for travel and other fun. :-)

My order's in, I've downloaded the E-M1 Instruction Manual. I expect many hours of studying it in the next several weeks ... I'm no longer concerned with reviews and such. I want to know how it works and how to set it up when it arrives.

Just sent my first query off to Olympus Tech Support: I see in the manual that the VF-3 and VF-4 are listed in the accessory section. I presume that the VF-2 is also compatible, but I'd like confirmation before I plug it in. It will be useful for copy-stand work.

G

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm due for a big sell off of excess stuff. Maybe I'll get it organized this weekend. It would be nice to pay for the E-M1 that way, put the money back in the bank for travel and other fun. :-)
    Same here . . . .but excitement for the new camera seems to have got me buying accessories - the adapter for 43 lenses . . . the 60mm macro . . the VF4 . . . . and (big oops - those 'buy' buttons are so easy) an E-P5

So, a big sale is in order - first to go will be the two nice panasonic zooms, the 12-35 and the 35-100 . . . and a Leica 180 f2.8 Apo R lens . . . and lots of other stuff!

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Same here . . . .but excitement for the new camera seems to have got me buying accessories - the adapter for 43 lenses . . . the 60mm macro . . the VF4 . . . . and (big oops - those 'buy' buttons are so easy) an E-P5

So, a big sale is in order - first to go will be the two nice panasonic zooms, the 12-35 and the 35-100 . . . and a Leica 180 f2.8 Apo R lens . . . and lots of other stuff!
    LOL! Yup, some "necessary" expenditures. ;-)

I took advantage of the rebate offer and ordered an MMF-3 ... already have an MMF-2, but it will be nice to have the weather-sealed version for the 11-22 and it will be free once the rebate is paid. Need to get mount adapters for the Leica R and maybe the Leica M lenses too. Probably should just order the Novoflex adapters and be done with it.

BTW, I noticed in the manual that the E-M1 includes a little FL-LM2 accessory flash in the box. Not that I need one, but it's a nice to have.

G

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I don't know what kind of alloy Olympus used for their new weathersealed 4/3rds adapter, but it makes my old Lumix adapter feel like cast iron. Nice and lightweight :-)

Cheers

Brian

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, you are not alone there. Though one of the early adopters of the m43rds with the G1, i use a Leica MM. No AF and pretty drab colors. It does quite well and i do nt miss the live view at all.

Unfortunately, i am very bad when it comes to buying and selling, otherwise I would have had no problem in buying the EM5 or the EM1 (Still have my D300 and quite a few lenses, including the fabulous 10.5mm Nikkor, still very few lenses from any system can catch up to its performance).

FWIW, I would have chosen the D7100 for a match up against the OM D. No AA and sensor sizes pretty close.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Mosley View Post
    If I can get more hands on time with it, I'll let you know how it performs in very low light, but it seems to do better (as with typical pdaf) with high contrast edges - especially vertical lines.

Performance definitely on a par with E-3 (from personal experience) - with potential to be better if Olympus keep pushing the firmware developers (you know how that goes Ricardo, last in - most pressure before launch!). Hybrid cdaf/pdaf has a lot of potential.

Cheers

Brian
    I agree this is the kind of thing that could be improved with firmware upgrades. Given the camera seems to pack a lot of tech power wise, I would not be surprise it is very "malleable" to re-program by Olympus post-launch.

- Ricardo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Hi There Ricardo
    Here is a link to dPreview's updated page:
    AF performance

They seem to think the tracking with µ43 lenses is on a par with the Nikon 1, and that with the 43 lenses it's on a par with the E5 - but as you suggested, probably not so good in lower light.

All the best
    Thanks Jono. I actually had seen it and it's the closest to a description but they really glossed over it test wise. I hope they can update that for their full review.

All cameras will do worse in lower light but cameras like the E-3/E-5 would try to lock (and lock when they work correctly) in lower light than say an E-620. I wonder what the reasonable EV rating is.

As a side note- that Panasonic rates their GX7 down to -4 EV ("star lit sky") I have to admit I wondered how marketing would show this feature well and I have to give it to them- it's pretty funny. They have a photo of an owl at night in some woods or something! Man :-) All those midnight birders! :-)

- Ricardo

Post Thanks / Like

Well, you are not alone there. Though one of the early adopters of the m43rds with the G1, i use a Leica MM. No AF and pretty drab colors. It does quite well and i do nt miss the live view at all.

Unfortunately, i am very bad when it comes to buying and selling, otherwise I would have had no problem in buying the EM5 or the EM1 (Still have my D300 and quite a few lenses, including the fabulous 10.5mm Nikkor, still very few lenses from any system can catch up to its performance).

FWIW, I would have chosen the D7100 for a match up against the OM D. No AA and sensor sizes pretty close.
    Someone started that comparison. Olympus OM-D E-M1 v Nikon D7100 | PhotographyBLOG

I pre-ordered mine after ming's review.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Another question is for how long larger sensor cameras will have a megapixel advantage that is meaningful to most photographers. Last night, I took this photo with the Nokia Lumia 808 (somewhat cropped):

It was taken in 34MP mode. Here's a 100% crop:

This is the sensor size of that ummmm... camera (the orange one in the middle):

The photo is taken at ISO 80 with a flash and it's a jpeg out of the camera. A D800 with a good prime lens would obviously do much better than this tiny device with a front-lit, 1.34µm pixel pitch sensor. But give it a few years and cram this kind of technology onto a back-lit m4/3 size sensor (the Nokia 1020 has a back-lit sensor with 1.12µm pixel pitch). I haven't done any calculations on this, but we obviously approach 3-digit MP-numbers.

Camera manufacturers know this of course, and there are good reasons why the Nikon 1 series has an even smaller sensor than m4/3. I would be surprised if Nikon doesn't see the V-cameras as future options for professional photographers. They are probably just waiting for technology to catch up. And before anybody starts talking about optical challenges like diffraction etc.: They will be solved. It may happen in software or in hardware, but problems will be solved. The Lumia is already pretty good, considering the size of it.

Some of us will of course on occasions still be carrying heavy, large sensor devices around for our amusement, either because we need it or because they like it. But the name of the future is "Small". The fact that compact mirrorless cameras haven't conquered the world yet doesn't necessarily mean that they won't do that in the future. It's very exciting stuff, don't you think?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I quite agree Jorgen,

in fact, I think the only thing limiting the future of digital imaging is ergonomics and the practicality of framing and shooting the image.

In that respect, I think that some variant of google glass could where things are headed...

Cheers

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Jorgen Udvang;536501]Another question is for how long larger sensor cameras will have a megapixel advantage that is meaningful to most photographers. Last night, I took this photo with the Nokia Lumia 808 (somewhat cropped):
    [/img]

It really depends on what you are doing, what you need, what you want. Truth is, the photos would improve vastly more if more people focused on photography.

According to what you posted, the Pentax Q will take over the entire universe :-) But seriously, it's one of the reasons I am using a Q for a lot of the stuff I am doing on the streets while it gives me invisibility (not posting pics here but got one new one last night, check at the usual Q thread place).

PS: Side note- back lit sensor tech does not scale well to bigger sensors, but a hugely densely packed 4/3rds (or higher) sensor can benefit at that point (at the point it's densely packed, like the smaller ones around).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My order's in, I've downloaded the E-M1 Instruction Manual. I expect many hours of studying it in the next several weeks ... I'm no longer concerned with reviews and such. I want to know how it works and how to set it up when it arrives.

G
    You could start there : suggested settings for the Olympus OM-D E-M5 Micro Four Thirds camera [Gary Ayton's photography wiki]

It is for the E-M5, but Olympus is quite conservative when it comes to the menus and features, so a lot should still be true for the E-M1. It is the perfect introduction for advanced photographers and look at things tasks by tasks (for instance how to optimize your settings for focusing manual legacy lenses and how to set up the camera so that the IS already kicks in while you are focusing longer lenses).

The E-M1 with its new PDAF capable sensor is of course different and there were some improvements concerning how to get a HDR or how you can affect custom cameras settings to the PASM dial instead of the IAuto or Artfilters and the way you call the smaller AF target and then the magnifier is improved, but still a lot of things should be useful..

Just sent my first query off to Olympus Tech Support: I see in the manual that the VF-3 and VF-4 are listed in the accessory section. I presume that the VF-2 is also compatible, but I'd like confirmation before I plug it in. It will be useful for copy-stand work.

G

For what it is worth : the VF-2 works perfectly on my E-M5..

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes, anyone familiar with the Olympus menu system from the E-P1 onwards will find the E-M1 consistent.

The focus peaking and focus magnification options, when switched on for manual focus assist will only work with a lens with electronic feedback on the manual focus ring.

To switch either on manually (for legacy lenses), just allocate the function to an external button - I used the new function buttons at the front of the camera, just to right of lens mount for right hand use.

The new colour wheel control also has good potential for b&w pseudo colour filter - but I was shooting in a studio and couldn't get any good colour contrast to work with.

Cheers

Brian

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the link.

I'm generally pretty good at sussing out how to configure an Olympus at this point ... I've been through the various control and menu systems on quite a few of them now, including the E-PL1. But it's always good to see how what others have done as example. :-)

I like to read the manual thoroughly first anyway. Usually a couple of times, for any digital camera I buy. There are lots of details to become aware of.

Quote Originally Posted by Annna T View Post
    For what it is worth : the VF-2 works perfectly on my E-M5..
    Yes, I was aware of that. That's why I found it a little surprising that the E-M1 manual mentioned the VF-3 and VF-4 only. It's just like the flash section ... yes, I know there are flash units now designed and optimized for the OM-D line, but are the FL-36 and FL-50 still compatible with the dedicated functions? Why wouldn't you say so in the manual?

I write manuals and technical documentation, it's omissions like these that annoy. :-)

G

Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Now that I understand the focus capabilities better (thank you, Jono), what sold me is the (relatively) small size of the 40-150/2.8. Oh, and the close focus of the 12-40/2.8 is a real bonus.

And the whole package comes to less than a single tech camera lens....

And that package PLUS the next Oly body with improved PDAF (and the next one after that) is less than the cost of upgrading a digital back...

--Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Interesting comparison. The D600 with lens is more than twice as heavy, and even the D7100 is almost twice the weight of the E-M1 with lens. They aren't 100% compatible of course, since f/2,8 doesn't have the same consequences on the different formats, but then, the E-M1 has features like IBIS and articulated LCD, which Nikon owners can just dream about. Then there's price.

http://camerasize.com/compact/#482.3...2,378.327,ha,t

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Olympus Tech Support responded. As expected, the VF-2 is fully compatible and supported by the E-M1. Should have asked about the FL36 at the same time, but I don't think I have to worry about that one.

Reading the manual, it seems they have improved the organization or he readability by some increment. But there's still a lot to remember...

G

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Olympus Tech Support responded. As expected, the VF-2 is fully compatible and supported by the E-M1. Should have asked about the FL36 at the same time, but I don't think I have to worry about that one.

Reading the manual, it seems they have improved the organization or he readability by some increment. But there's still a lot to remember...

G
    You then finally left the GX7 idea?
    Thorkil

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Thorkil View Post
    You then finally left the GX7 idea?
    I find them both to be very appealing designs, and in some ways prefer the GX7 layout. But the E-M1's superior support of FourThirds SLR lenses and its other features convinced me it was the better pick for me, at least for the present. I've placed an order for one.

Who can say? I might sometime later also acquire a GX7 body.

G

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

by the way:
    Olympus OMD EM1 quality | Cameralabs
    thorkil
    PS. don't forget to look at this for any that will use the Pana 7-14mm, which have strong purple flare artefacts, as claimed here
    http://cameralabs.com/reviews/Olympu.../#7-14mm_flare

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been adding bits to this Wikipedia page as I come across them. Added CameraLabs review and Luminous Landscape's review links last evening and this morning.

Olympus OM-D E-M1 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

G

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

by the way:
    thorkil
    PS. don't forget to look at this for any that will use the Pana 7-14mm, which have strong purple flare artefacts, as claimed here
    Olympus OMD EM1 review | Cameralabs
    Thankfully, the ZD 11-22 covers my ultrawide needs pretty well. Actually, between the 11-22 and 35 Macro, 80-90% of my shooting needs are covered.

G

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes, and LL is just updated.
    But the ED 7-14/4.0, which I would like, is rather expensive in Denmark, 2.230$, and slow..
    Better stick to my small cameras for a while....
    Thorkil

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

But the ED 7-14/4.0, which I would like, is rather expensive in Denmark, 2.230$, and slow..
    The ZD 7-14/4 ED is expensive here too ... about $1800 currently ... but I don't consider f/4 slow for an ultra-ultra-wide lens like this. Matter of opinion, of course. I hadn't purchased one as I never really felt the need for something that wide.

I'm more likely to be interested in the ZD 14-35/2 anyway, one of the finest performing lenses in the focal length range regardless of zoom or prime, but it's a very large and heavy thing, not generally my cup of tea.

The LuLa update made a big deal about the power switch location in this second installment, too big imo. I basically just turn my camera on and leave it that way, having the switch somewhere I won't hit it by accident is nice.

G

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The new Olympus lens roadmap (43 rumors) for m4/3rds looks very interesting... An M Zuiko Pro ultra wide and ultra zoom planned. Could Olympus be developing a 6-12mm f2.8?

Cheers

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

by the way:
    thorkil
    Olympus OMD EM1 review | Cameralabs
    The 7-14 has been one of my most used lenses for years, and I've never seen those artifacts. What does look worrying is that the Panasonic algorithm removing the artifacts seems to remove a lot of detail as well without getting totally rid of the problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The 7-14 has been one of my most used lenses for years, and I've never seen those artifacts. What does look worrying is that the Panasonic algorithm removing the artifacts seems to remove a lot of detail as well without getting totally rid of the problem.
    Yes, I have considered it too. And that could be a reason to leave the GX7-thoughts. The Pana 7-14 is ok in size and weight(or one could perhaps just use the Zuiko 9-18 in those rare occations) And I gues that those occations (Buildings inside and outside) where I need it, flare wouldn't be a problem.
    But one thing would be nice to know, if the metering can compete with the matrix-metering of the Nikons, which I think always have been spot on, even in difficult situations(hanging out of a roof-window with too much sky...the Nikons opened up in the right way)...the Pentax K-5II wouldn't sing my way for that part.
    And if one havn't got any 4/3 lenses, I think the 12-40 would fit in, all the time.
    Thorkil

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

But I do have a 4/3 lens, and this is what it will look like on the E-M1 with grip. I can hardly wait

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

don't show me that, Jųrgen. Then I suddenly think its HUGE, even though I know it's not....almost not. (which lense?) But I wount use extra batteri, will keep it small(allmost small)....but I won't buy it....I wount buy...I wont....I....
    Thorkil

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

don't show me that, Jųrgen. Then I suddenly think its HUGE, even though I know it's not....almost not. (which lense?) But I wount use extra batteri, will keep it small(allmost small)....but I won't buy it....I wount buy...I wont....I....
    Thorkil
    It's the PanaLeica 14-50mm f/2.8-3.5, one of the best "normal" zooms ever produced. If AF works as advertised with this lens, I don't need to buy the 12-40mm. I would like the 14-35mm f/2.0 also, but it's much more expensive, much heavier, larger, has shorter reach but is weather sealed and pin sharp from f/2.0

Then there's the 150mm f/2.0

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It's the PanaLeica 14-50mm f/2.8-3.5, one of the best "normal" zooms ever produced. If AF works as advertised with this lens, I don't need to buy the 12-40mm. I would like the 14-35mm f/2.0 also, but it's much more expensive, much heavier, larger, has shorter reach but is weather sealed and pin sharp from f/2.0

Then there's the 150mm f/2.0

If I ever buy...
    then I will need those extra 2/4mm a lot, so just the 12-40 + 7-14 Pana, thats it, period. (well perhaps the 12/2.0 for the uncomplicated and small walkabouts..)
    Thorkil