The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Ouch, video specs are posted on 43rumors as limited to 30p. No 24p or even 25p for PAL seems just silly. It's too bad because the 5-axis IS does a great job stabilizing video.
Olympus for photos, Panasonic for video. They work well as backup for each other :)

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I do not care much about video, so the EM1 video capabilities should be enough. The photographic part of the EM1 for my use seems to be far better than any other M43 camera, so I guess I will be able to survive with the EM1 alone.

Actually after many experiences with great cameras and systems (Pentax, Fuji, etc) I will give the EM1 (plus my old EM5) and m43 a try as my main camera system and only keep the D800E and some selected lenses for really demanding and high resolution work. At least I will try :)

Godfrey

I do not care much about video, so the EM1 video capabilities should be enough. The photographic part of the EM1 for my use seems to be far better than any other M43 camera, so I guess I will be able to survive with the EM1 alone.

Actually after many experiences with great cameras and systems (Pentax, Fuji, etc) I will give the EM1 (plus my old EM5) and m43 a try as my main camera system and only keep the D800E and some selected lenses for really demanding and high resolution work. At least I will try :)
I'm drawn to the shape, seeming simplicity, and form factor of the GX7. But the biggest factor between the two cameras is going to be how well either works with my ZD 11-22/2.8-3.5 lens. It's for that lens that I've kept an eye on FourThirds and Micro-FourThirds. If the GX7 drives the 11-22 AF nicely, it's going to be a hot contender, but I suspect that it's a near-given that the E-M1 will work even better with it.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

G

dhsimmonds

Not long to wait now. Tuesday 10th September here in the UK it will be launched with local presentations in Olympus dealers throughout the following two weeks.

My local dealer has an Oly EM1 day on 28th September and is hopeful of having stock at that time.:clap:

Brian Mosley

I'm drawn to the shape, seeming simplicity, and form factor of the GX7. But the biggest factor between the two camerasThe is going to be how well either works with my ZD 11-22/2.8-3.5 lens. It's for that lens that I've kept an eye on FourThirds and Micro-FourThirds. If the GX7 drives the 11-22 AF nicely, it's going to be a hot contender, but I suspect that it's a near-given that the E-M1 will work even better with it.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

G
Interesting that you are so attached to the 11-22 that you consider native 4/3rds lens support the biggest factor between the two cameras.

I sold my 11-22 when the mZD 9-18 came out, and the Lumix 7-14 is also a strong performer. Even the ZD 12-60 could be challenged by this new 12-40mm f2.8 pro lens for m4/3rds (please Olympus, more like 45mm f1.8 and 75mm f1.8 in terms of image quality)

I can't wait to try both cameras, and see which feels the best fit - Panasonic certainly got the form factor right - but I love Olympus kit.

Cheers

Brian

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I'm 100% with Godfrey with regards to the 11-22 (which I regrettably sold). It covers four important, classic focal lengths for me, 21, 28, 35 and 50mm (compressed to 22, 28, 35 and 44mm, but still).

Brian Mosley

I would rate the ZD 50-200mm f2.8-3.5 and ZD 50mm f2 as more important lenses which would drive one towards the E-M1.

While a wonderful lens, the 11-22mm range has been covered by the mZD 9-18 for me, and the mZD 12-40 f2.8 will be an extremely flexible range too.

Cheers

Brian

Godfrey

I would rate the ZD 50-200mm f2.8-3.5 and ZD 50mm f2 as more important lenses which would drive one towards the E-M1.

While a wonderful lens, the 11-22mm range has been covered by the mZD 9-18 for me, and the mZD 12-40 f2.8 will be an extremely flexible range too.
The 50 Macro is another special lens, but I generally found when I had both that I used the 35 Macro far more. I had a 50-200, good performer but bulky and heavy. I didn't use it enough, so I sold it. I'm not a big zoom guy. I prefer to adapt nice primes in the 50-180 mm range ... just got a nice bunch of Leica R lenses that will do this marvelously.

The "normal" zooms have never appealed to me. The 12-60 always felt unbalanced and I didn't like the wave-shaped rectilinear distortion at the wide end. I'd rather have a Summilux or Voigtländer 25 and the 35 Macro in that range.

The 11-22 is special ... comparing its rendering and performance against the 9-18, it produces results more to my liking. Astonishing resolution, virtually no rectilinear distortion once past 16mm, and even below that it's all simple, spherical distortion that's easy to deal with. And weathersealed, solid, precise. ;-)

Different strokes. For me, the 11-22 and 35 Macro are 90% of what I use. Add a Summicron-R 50 and 90 for a bit more reach, add a fast wide (17/1.8) or normal (25/1.4) prime: that's my whole kit.

G

jonoslack

I'm 100% with Godfrey with regards to the 11-22 (which I regrettably sold). It covers four important, classic focal lengths for me, 21, 28, 35 and 50mm (compressed to 22, 28, 35 and 44mm, but still).
HI Jorgen
Tempting to buy an 11-22 again - they're fairly cheap right now!
AS for the GX7/EM1 decision, it's a no-brainer for me - weather sealing and proper phase detect focusing together with the Olympus image stabilisation makes it no contest.

All the best

Godfrey

HI Jorgen
AS for the GX7/EM1 decision, it's a no-brainer for me - weather sealing and proper phase detect focusing together with the Olympus image stabilisation makes it no contest.

All the best
that's probably the way it will run for me too, although I must say I like the GX7 form factor and layout a bit more. And yeah, buying both will snocker my bank account, again...

G

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
HI Jorgen

All the best
I would think that it goes in that direction for me as well. If I need a backup camera, I still have the excellent GH2.

For compact, Nikon has finally launched the camera that seems to have all I need in a compact; articulated LCD and EVF and full set of external controls and a hotshoe and a reasonably wide aperture lens with a useable zoom and proper build quality.

jonoslack

For compact, Nikon has finally launched the camera that seems to have all I need in a compact; articulated LCD and EVF and full set of external controls and a hotshoe and a reasonably wide aperture lens with a useable zoom and proper build quality.
I agree it has all of that, except for one thing . . . . . it's not compact - not even slightly compact - in fact, it's pretty much the same size as the Panasonic GX7!

all the best

Godfrey

I would think that it goes in that direction for me as well. If I need a backup camera, I still have the excellent GH2.

Looks like a nice camera, but I have no interest in a fixed-lens zoom camera. If I did, I'd buy the Leica X Vario. ;-)

G

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I agree it has all of that, except for one thing . . . . . it's not compact - not even slightly compact - in fact, it's pretty much the same size as the Panasonic GX7!

all the best
Not the same size as a GX7 with a 28-200 eqv. lens :lecture:
Fine for lazy days and very light travel. Cheap too :)

Have a look at Vieri's Venezia shots with the P7700.

Why isn't there a smiley who clings desperately to his shrinking wallet :confused:

jonoslack

Ooops - I seem to have won an 11-22 on ebay - it was £241 - seems reasonable to me, and probably worth that much if I want to sell it on.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Ming Thein's review is already online!

The 2013 Olympus OM-D E-M1 review, part one: the camera

Read a couple of paragraphs. Don't need to read more. I'll start selling off my Nikon gear, everything except the D700, the F6 and relevant primes. The E-M1 is the pro system of the future for anything but special needs (very high resolution, very shallow DOF, action photography (still) etc.), not in its final form, but close enough.

Last edited: