Site Sponsors
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 151 to 200 of 242

Thread: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

  1. #151
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

    Hi There You Two

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    It's the PanaLeica 14-50mm f/2.8-3.5, one of the best "normal" zooms ever produced. If AF works as advertised with this lens, I don't need to buy the 12-40mm. I would like the 14-35mm f/2.0 also, but it's much more expensive, much heavier, larger, has shorter reach but is weather sealed and pin sharp from f/2.0

    Then there's the 150mm f/2.0
    . . . . but there is also the Zuiko 12-60 f2.8 / f4, which is ALSO one of the best "normal" zooms ever produced - it even get's a 'highly recommended' at photozone.de

    Quote Originally Posted by Thorkil View Post

    If I ever buy...
    then I will need those extra 2/4mm a lot, so just the 12-40 + 7-14 Pana, thats it, period. (well perhaps the 12/2.0 for the uncomplicated and small walkabouts..)
    Thorkil
    I just bought one of the 12-60 Zuiko lenses on ebay for £430 (they're about £900 new, and still available).

    You get your extra 2/4mm (I agree, necessary) and also an extra 10/20mm at the long end (which is nice).

    Added to which it's properly weather sealed.


    one from last night with the extra 2/4mm

    here it is on the E-M1



    Just this guy you know
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

  2. #152
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    But I do have a 4/3 lens, and this is what it will look like on the E-M1 with grip. I can hardly wait

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    It's the PanaLeica 14-50mm f/2.8-3.5, one of the best "normal" zooms ever produced. If AF works as advertised with this lens, I don't need to buy the 12-40mm. I would like the 14-35mm f/2.0 also, but it's much more expensive, much heavier, larger, has shorter reach but is weather sealed and pin sharp from f/2.0

    Then there's the 150mm f/2.0
    If you want this lens, there is a stonking deal on the UK ebay for £399

    Pana-Leica 14-50 f2.8 Vario-Elmar (plus free camera)

    Grab it whilst you can!

    all the best

    Just this guy you know

  3. #153
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    A bit north of Copenhagen
    Posts
    1,522
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    569

    Re: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Hi There You Two

    . . . . but there is also the Zuiko 12-60 f2.8 / f4, which is ALSO one of the best "normal" zooms ever produced - it even get's a 'highly recommended' at photozone.de
    I just bought one of the 12-60 Zuiko lenses on ebay for £430 (they're about £900 new, and still available).
    You get your extra 2/4mm (I agree, necessary) and also an extra 10/20mm at the long end (which is nice).
    Added to which it's properly weather sealed.
    here it is on the E-M1

    Thank you!, even though it still looks big, but not bigger than the 12-40' length at 84mm I guess. Got any length in mm's?
    Thorkil
    'ps. got it: 98,5 + the adapter.....´hhmm

  4. #154
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,347
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    If you want this lens, there is a stonking deal on the UK ebay for £399

    Pana-Leica 14-50 f2.8 Vario-Elmar (plus free camera)

    Grab it whilst you can!

    all the best
    I bought it two years ago, hoping that a camera like the E-M1 would some day appear
    This lens will probably increase in value. It's very good (like your Zuiko) and in addition, it has an aperture ring with 1/3 stops that work on (as far as I know) all m4/3 cameras.

  5. #155
    Subscriber Member Georg Baumann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    787
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    82

    Re: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

    Just a thought, not being a techincal guy when it comes to lenses. Is it not that the FT ZD lenses are calculated fo use on the particular FT sensor and not micro FT? I think so. Hence would it not be reasonable to assume that the picture quality of newly developed MFT lenses will be performing better in terms of IQ, or is that negliable?

  6. #156
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,931
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    I bought it two years ago, hoping that a camera like the E-M1 would some day appear
    This lens will probably increase in value. It's very good (like your Zuiko) and in addition, it has an aperture ring with 1/3 stops that work on (as far as I know) all m4/3 cameras.
    I have two of these lenses when I had a matched pair of Panasonic L1 bodies. It is indeed an excellent performer.

    The aperture ring will only work on Panasonic cameras. Olympus ignores the ring and you adjust aperture using the on-body controls. It's all servo actuation, not directly connected to the iris mechanism.

    G

  7. #157
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,931
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

    Quote Originally Posted by Georg Baumann View Post
    Just a thought, not being a techincal guy when it comes to lenses. Is it not that the FT ZD lenses are calculated fo use on the particular FT sensor and not micro FT? I think so. Hence would it not be reasonable to assume that the picture quality of newly developed MFT lenses will be performing better in terms of IQ, or is that negliable?
    FourThirds and Micro-FourThirds use the same sensor size. The only difference is the mount register. So a lens that performs well on one will perform well on the others.

    mFT lenses are newer designs, and the shorter mount register allows more degrees of freedom for the lens designer, which could mean better lens performance. Also, mFT lenses are designed for CDAF, so focusing performance can be faster. However, it's very difficult to better the optical performance of the Olympus High Grade and Super High Grade lenses ... They are still state of the art on optical performance.

    G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  8. #158
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,347
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    FourThirds and Micro-FourThirds use the same sensor size. The only difference is the mount register. So a lens that performs well on one will perform well on the others.

    mFT lenses are newer designs, and the shorter mount register allows more degrees of freedom for the lens designer, which could mean better lens performance. Also, mFT lenses are designed for CDAF, so focusing performance can be faster. However, it's very difficult to better the optical performance of the Olympus High Grade and Super High Grade lenses ... They are still state of the art on optical performance.

    G
    Add to that the fact that most m4/3 lenses are designed with software corrections in mind. The 7-14mm is in principle somewhere between a rectilinear WA lens and a fisheye lens, corrected for distortion in-camera, making it easier to design a smaller lens. In addition, most of the original 4/3 lenses are telecentric or close to telecentric, meaning that the light hits the sensor at a right angle. This was, as far as I remember, one of the reasons for choosing a relatively small sensor, since telecentric lenses for larger sensors will become rather large and heavy.

    I believe the telecentric design has become less important with modern sensors, but the extremely even sharpness across the frame of the best 4/3 lenses can be attributed to this principle.
    Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  9. #159
    Subscriber Member Georg Baumann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    787
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    82

    Re: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    FourThirds and Micro-FourThirds use the same sensor size. The only difference is the mount register.
    Ok, I understand. Yes some of the ZD are stellar in deed. Thanks Godfrey.

  10. #160
    Subscriber Member Georg Baumann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    787
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    82

    Re: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    In addition, most of the original 4/3 lenses are telecentric or close to telecentric, meaning that the light hits the sensor at a right angle. This was, as far as I remember, one of the reasons for choosing a relatively small sensor, since telecentric lenses for larger sensors will become rather large and heavy.
    Yeah, telecentric rings a bell in the deep clouded memories of mine. LOL

  11. #161
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,931
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Add to that the fact that most m4/3 lenses are designed with software corrections in mind. The 7-14mm is in principle somewhere between a rectilinear WA lens and a fisheye lens, corrected for distortion in-camera, making it easier to design a smaller lens. In addition, most of the original 4/3 lenses are telecentric or close to telecentric, meaning that the light hits the sensor at a right angle. This was, as far as I remember, one of the reasons for choosing a relatively small sensor, since telecentric lenses for larger sensors will become rather large and heavy.

    I believe the telecentric design has become less important with modern sensors, but the extremely even sharpness across the frame of the best 4/3 lenses can be attributed to this principle.
    Generally speaking on point, but remember that Olympus built lens corrections into their cameras and into their raw conversion software too, even before Micro-FourThirds, all the way back to the E-1! This is quite apparent when you use something like the ZD 35 Macro, which has substantial native barrel distortion that is completely eliminated with corrections turned on for in-camera JPEGs or in Olympus Viewer software.

    mFT's innovation was to standardize the lens correction, build it into the lens, and inject it into the raw data so that a properly implemented third party raw converter could also do the lens correction as needed.

    There were several factors for the sensor size: cost of manufacture, some assumptions about the maximum necessary pixel density for the target audience, getting the sensor size and lens mount into the right relationship, etc etc. I remember reading the original papers on the design way back when and having my head spin a bit... ;-)

    Just for the amusement value:


    E-M1 + ZD 11-22 plus grip plus VF-2

    I like the VF-2 on top, you have both eye level and lower angle viewing with the benefits of the eye piece, etc. I might actually buy the grip for this one.
    Of course, it's also going to be fun fitted with a zone plate or the body cap lens... ;-)

    G

  12. #162
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    A bit north of Copenhagen
    Posts
    1,522
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    569

    Re: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

    ....but then its not rather small anymore(!)....yes, a body lens cap seems then rather tempting...
    thorkil
    (anyone thinking of keeping the e-m5 just for the sake of the size?..perhaps just with the Pana 14-42 PZ on..)

  13. #163
    Senior Subscriber Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    411
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    I bought it two years ago, hoping that a camera like the E-M1 would some day appear
    This lens will probably increase in value. It's very good (like your Zuiko) and in addition, it has an aperture ring with 1/3 stops that work on (as far as I know) all m4/3 cameras.
    I just bought a un-used Leica Vario-Elmarit 14-50mm/2.8-3.5 for $375. I had this lens before with Panasonic L-1 but sold it few years later and regret it ever since. In terms of performance, I like the Leica better zoom compare to Olympus ZD 12-60mm/2.8-4.0. I hope to use Leica zoom as a normal lens on my E-M1, and my old E-1.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  14. #164
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,347
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

    More important than photos of the lens, here's one taken with it and the L1. 50mm and wide open I believe.

    Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

  15. #165
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,347
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

    The question is: Who will be the first to go all the way. I wonder how this combo balances. It's big on this camera, but it's big on any camera.



    Kind of tempting, isn't it?
    Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  16. #166
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    A bit north of Copenhagen
    Posts
    1,522
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    569

    Re: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    More important than photos of the lens, here's one taken with it and the L1. 50mm and wide open I believe.

    outstanding, Jørgen!
    Thorkil
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  17. #167
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,931
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

    Quote Originally Posted by Thorkil View Post
    ....but then its not rather small anymore(!)....yes, a body lens cap seems then rather tempting...
    thorkil
    (anyone thinking of keeping the e-m5 just for the sake of the size?..perhaps just with the Pana 14-42 PZ on..)
    Well, small isn't the only criteria for me. But when I want it here are three combinations at my disposal:


    I have an E-PL1, picked up for virtually nothing used. Works a treat ... no need to sell it. So there's my "compatible compact." :-)

    G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  18. #168
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,931
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    The question is: Who will be the first to go all the way. I wonder how this combo balances. It's big on this camera, but it's big on any camera.



    Kind of tempting, isn't it?
    That is a stunning lens. I rented one once ... Truly superb. But for the amount I use such a long focal length, it's out of my price bracket.

    The Leitz Elmarit-R 180/2.8 I paid a pittance for will have to suffice. :-)

    G

  19. #169
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    A bit north of Copenhagen
    Posts
    1,522
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    569

    Re: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Well, small isn't the only criteria for me. But when I want it here are three combinations at my disposal:


    I have an E-PL1, picked up for virtually nothing used. Works a treat ... no need to sell it. So there's my "compatible compact." :-)

    G
    That look like common sense for me.
    Leaving a D3 and D800E behind me together with a 14-24 etc. (and then the K-30 and K-5II ) and now using the GR (seldom the GXR) with almost a smile everytime(smile were perhaps bigger with the GRIV, but seems already like another time), it mustn’t feel like a DSLR anymore, so the compromise must be acceptable size combined with sharpnes and very nice microcontrasts (the last has been the struggle for Nikon I think) , so I guess the 12-40 with 84mm in length would be a maximum(although it seems perhaps not so stellar on Cameralab in fullsize pics, or is it just me?), and I’m not good at carry and changing extra and different lenses.
    Thorkil

  20. #170
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,347
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

    Thanks, Thorkil

    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    That is a stunning lens. I rented one once ... Truly superb. But for the amount I use such a long focal length, it's out of my price bracket.

    The Leitz Elmarit-R 180/2.8 I paid a pittance for will have to suffice. :-)

    G
    Out of mine as well, but when I look at the money I save not buying high-end Nikkors, there must be some room for not-needed-but-highly-desirable-glass somewhere
    We'll see.
    Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  21. #171
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,931
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

    Quote Originally Posted by Thorkil View Post
    ... it mustn’t feel like a DSLR anymore ...
    Well .... any way you cut it, the E-M1 and E-M5 are going to feel like a small DSLR, just like the Panasonic G1 et al do. This is where the GX7 and E-P5 have a different bent to them: their shapes are much more RF camera reminiscent.

    If I wanted something other than the DSLR form factor idiom, I'd be more interested in the GX7. I'm still interested in the GX7 because of the form factor difference.

    Any fast, pro-quality zoom is going to be large. If you want compact, buy an M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8 and M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8 to go with the GX7 body. Despite the pixel peeping, "this is better than that," and other silliness, that will be a fantastic two-lens kit on a great body. Compact, slick, and lovely to use.

    The E-M1 is what I want because I have the 11-22mm and 35mm macro lenses. And other, larger, bulkier lenses for which the larger camera's greater heft and other features are a better match.

    G

  22. #172
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,347
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post

    Any fast, pro-quality zoom is going to be large. If you want compact, buy an M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8 and M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8 to go with the GX7 body. Despite the pixel peeping, "this is better than that," and other silliness, that will be a fantastic two-lens kit on a great body. Compact, slick, and lovely to use.

    G
    +1 to that.

    The (more or less) 35 + 85mm eqv. combo is so universally useable that I wouldn't hesitate to survive on that only, even if it were to be permanently, if I really had to restrict myself. That is actually my plan for the 35mm format (with D700 + F6) as other Nikon gear wear out.

  23. #173
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    A bit north of Copenhagen
    Posts
    1,522
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    569

    Re: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Well .... any way you cut it, the E-M1 and E-M5 are going to feel like a small DSLR, just like the Panasonic G1 et al do. This is where the GX7 and E-P5 have a different bent to them: their shapes are much more RF camera reminiscent.

    If I wanted something other than the DSLR form factor idiom, I'd be more interested in the GX7. I'm still interested in the GX7 because of the form factor difference.

    Any fast, pro-quality zoom is going to be large. If you want compact, buy an M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8 and M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8 to go with the GX7 body. Despite the pixel peeping, "this is better than that," and other silliness, that will be a fantastic two-lens kit on a great body. Compact, slick, and lovely to use.

    The E-M1 is what I want because I have the 11-22mm and 35mm macro lenses. And other, larger, bulkier lenses for which the larger camera's greater heft and other features are a better match.

    G
    Thank you Godfrey!
    Yes the GX7 seems very attractive size-wise, I would think.
    But the way the GX7 handled the Pana 7-14 turned me a bit of, while I would need this lense once in a while in the long run.
    But I'm also considering the Words of Rayyan, using his M8 most of the time instead of his M9 (and the wise Words of using what is within the reach of your hands...and not within your dreams, one could ad). And also Jono's word of lately using(/and loving to do so) his M9 for the time being istead of others.
    Perhaps a used M8.2 with my CV15, 21Elmarit could do a proper job. But I would need the high ISO's at Work, so back Again.
    I'll just keep calm, and wait a bit and use the GR together with GXR-A16 zoom and perhaps the M-module for the CV15 a bit more.
    Thorkil

  24. #174
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,347
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

    Tried it. Paid deposit. Arrives in 2 weeks

    Best ergonomics ever, clearly better than E-M5. Better than the F6 also, and relegates that camera to the second spot of my ranking. Flawless AF-S with the PanaLeica 14-50. I won't be able to perform a proper AF-C test until I get the camera home. I tried the camera with and without the grip. With the grip, I will have no problem with heavy lenses like the 150mm f/2.0. Nikon and Canon have a huge challenge on their hands, when photographers start discovering this piece of apparatus.
    Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  25. #175
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Tokyo, Japan
    Posts
    280
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    34

    Re: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Tried it. Paid deposit. Arrives in 2 weeks

    Best ergonomics ever, clearly better than E-M5. Better than the F6 also, and relegates that camera to the second spot of my ranking. Flawless AF-S with the PanaLeica 14-50. I won't be able to perform a proper AF-C test until I get the camera home. I tried the camera with and without the grip. With the grip, I will have no problem with heavy lenses like the 150mm f/2.0. Nikon and Canon have a huge challenge on their hands, when photographers start discovering this piece of apparatus.
    You guys really aren't helping. I've read the reviews and I know it's good, but after following the posts here for years your endorsements is making this really hard to resist. I wish I got to see the demo here in Tokyo, but I won't have to wait to long to see it in the stores. Time to trade in one of my E-M5s.
    Charles - flickr

  26. #176
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    A bit north of Copenhagen
    Posts
    1,522
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    569

    Re: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Tried it. Paid deposit. Arrives in 2 weeks

    Best ergonomics ever, clearly better than E-M5. Better than the F6 also, and relegates that camera to the second spot of my ranking. Flawless AF-S with the PanaLeica 14-50. I won't be able to perform a proper AF-C test until I get the camera home. I tried the camera with and without the grip. With the grip, I will have no problem with heavy lenses like the 150mm f/2.0. Nikon and Canon have a huge challenge on their hands, when photographers start discovering this piece of apparatus.
    hmmm...Jørgen(!) you are spoiling my saved and holy vision...
    thorkil

  27. #177
    Senior Member Brian Mosley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,394
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    17

    Re: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Tried it. Paid deposit. Arrives in 2 weeks

    Best ergonomics ever, clearly better than E-M5. Better than the F6 also, and relegates that camera to the second spot of my ranking. Flawless AF-S with the PanaLeica 14-50. I won't be able to perform a proper AF-C test until I get the camera home. I tried the camera with and without the grip. With the grip, I will have no problem with heavy lenses like the 150mm f/2.0. Nikon and Canon have a huge challenge on their hands, when photographers start discovering this piece of apparatus.
    Good to see my earlier report confirmed. I actually found the additional grip huge - it really makes the small camera into a 4/3rds scale body... should be ideal for the 50-200 and SHG lenses.

    Cheers

    Brian

  28. #178
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,347
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Mosley View Post
    Good to see my earlier report confirmed. I actually found the additional grip huge - it really makes the small camera into a 4/3rds scale body... should be ideal for the 50-200 and SHG lenses.

    Cheers

    Brian
    Precisely my thoughts. A convertible

  29. #179
    Senior Member dhsimmonds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hampshire, UK
    Posts
    904
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    20

    Re: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

    Am I right in assuming that the Leica 4/3rds lenses will not AF on the new EM1?

    I read that the dedicated 4/3 adaptor for the EM1 only "reads" 4/3 Oly lenses.

    For an old duffer like me, accurate and fast AF is a must!
    Cheers, Dave
    www.simmondsphotography.com

  30. #180
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,610
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

    Quote Originally Posted by dhsimmonds View Post
    Am I right in assuming that the Leica 4/3rds lenses will not AF on the new EM1?

    I read that the dedicated 4/3 adaptor for the EM1 only "reads" 4/3 Oly lenses.

    For an old duffer like me, accurate and fast AF is a must!
    According to this: Robin Wong: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Review: Shooting with Zuiko Digital Four Thirds Lenses , the E-5 is that camera. Not the EM series.

  31. #181
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,931
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Tried it. Paid deposit. Arrives in 2 weeks

    Best ergonomics ever, clearly better than E-M5. Better than the F6 also, and relegates that camera to the second spot of my ranking. Flawless AF-S with the PanaLeica 14-50. I won't be able to perform a proper AF-C test until I get the camera home. I tried the camera with and without the grip. With the grip, I will have no problem with heavy lenses like the 150mm f/2.0. Nikon and Canon have a huge challenge on their hands, when photographers start discovering this piece of apparatus.
    I know how much you like the F6—that's truly high praise.

    I didn't have the opportunity to handle it yet, but the Olympus rep is going to be at the shop today around lunch time, I might just take an extended lunch.

    My order is in already tho. Maybe I should add the grip now and get it over with...

    G

  32. #182
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,931
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

    Quote Originally Posted by dhsimmonds View Post
    Am I right in assuming that the Leica 4/3rds lenses will not AF on the new EM1?
    I read that the dedicated 4/3 adaptor for the EM1 only "reads" 4/3 Oly lenses.
    For an old duffer like me, accurate and fast AF is a must!
    Untrue.

    Olympus mFT bodies with MMF-1, MMF-2, MMF-3 or even the Panasonic version of the adapter have always driven AF with both Olympus and Panasonic/Leica FT lenses. I personally tested the Vario-Elmarit-D 14-50/2.8-3.5 ASPH and Summilux-D 25/1.4 ASPH on Pen E-P1, E-P2, E-PL1, E-PL2 and OM-D E-M5 bodies. I'm sure the E-M1 will perform beautifully with these same lenses.

    Some lens correction parameters from Panasonic lenses (mostly mFT ... only the Summilux-D 25/1.4 ASPH of the FT Panasonic/Leica lenses has lens correction parameters included) might not transfer to the Olympus body, but even there I suspect that, if true, it only affects in-camera JPEG processing as the lens correction metadata is standardized for Micro-FourThirds mount protocols.

    G

  33. #183
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,931
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

    Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    According to this: Robin Wong: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Review: Shooting with Zuiko Digital Four Thirds Lenses , the E-5 is that camera. Not the EM series.
    I'll evaluate for myself with the 11-22 and 35 Macro a little later today...

    You're kinda bending Robin's review to a rather more negative position than I read it.

    G

  34. #184
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,347
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

    I used the PanaLeica 14-50mm f/2.8-3.5 lens and a Panasonic converter. Worked like a charm. I believe the electronics are functionally identical in all the converters.

  35. #185
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,931
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    I used the PanaLeica 14-50mm f/2.8-3.5 lens and a Panasonic converter. Worked like a charm. I believe the electronics are functionally identical in all the converters.
    Yes, they are. It's always been that way, since mFT first appeared.

    G

  36. #186
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,347
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

    A comment to size and vertical grip:
    Without the grip, it's a compact camera with exceptionally nice ergonomics (although it will take some time to program and learn to know all the fn buttons). With the grip, which sits unusually tight on the body, it feels like a miniature D2/3/4, but the thinner body makes it much easier for me to hold. This is also one of several reasons why I prefer the F6 to Nikon's digital bodies; the body is thinner but the grip is equally deep.

    For anybody with experience from OM film bodies, the power switch is second nature.

    Oh, and to remove the lens hood from the 12-40mm lens, buttons on each side of the hood have to be pressed. Why didn't anybody think about that before? I've lost so many lens hoods that I've started attaching them with velcro tape.
    Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

  37. #187
    Senior Member JMaher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sarasota
    Posts
    942
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    16

    Re: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

    For those with actual access to a store that carries Olympus. Is there going to be a US kit with the E-M1 and the 12-40 and is anyone aware of the price or timing?
    -Jim

  38. #188
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,931
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

    Quote Originally Posted by JMaher View Post
    For those with actual access to a store that carries Olympus. Is there going to be a US kit with the E-M1 and the 12-40 and is anyone aware of the price or timing?
    -Jim
    I'm headed up to the shop for the Olympus touchy-feely show in a few minutes. I'll ask the question, but my understanding at present is that the 12-40 is due to be available in late November or December.

    I don't know that they'll offer it at a "kit" or bundled discount price ... I don't recall Olympus USA doing that in the past with their other pro-grade camera offerings. In the past, you simply ordered the E-1, E-3 or E-5 bundle, then paid for a body and a lens.

    G

  39. #189
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,347
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    I'm headed up to the shop for the Olympus touchy-feely show in a few minutes. I'll ask the question, but my understanding at present is that the 12-40 is due to be available in late November or December.

    I don't know that they'll offer it at a "kit" or bundled discount price ... I don't recall Olympus USA doing that in the past with their other pro-grade camera offerings. In the past, you simply ordered the E-1, E-3 or E-5 bundle, then paid for a body and a lens.

    G
    In Thailand, the alternatives are:

    - Body only with 4/3 converter.
    - Kit with 12-50mm lens
    - Kit with 12-40mm f/2.8 lens (available later)

  40. #190
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    In Thailand, the alternatives are:

    - Body only with 4/3 converter.
    - Kit with 12-50mm lens
    - Kit with 12-40mm f/2.8 lens (available later)
    Same in the UK except that the body only doesn't include the converter.
    I've ordered all three to be sure to get one of the first (WEX ring to check you want it before dispatching)

    Just this guy you know

  41. #191
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,931
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

    Back from fondling the E-M1 at the camera shop.

    - Nice, tight, solid feel.

    - Without the HLD7 fitted, it's a little small in my hands (I take an L-XL glove size) for medium to larger lenses. With the HLD7 fitted, it feels very nice indeed. The control spacings and buttons are nicely placed and just big enough to work easily.

    - I tested my ZD 35 Macro and ZD 11-22 zoom on it. If there's a difference in focusing speed between it and the E-5, I'm not sensitive to it; it's certainly faster than the E-1 or E-PL1—neither are the fastest focusing lenses in anyone's bag. Focusing accuracy seems very good, for the 16 quick point-and-snap photos I made, they are all but one right on the money.

    - ISO 800 produces very good results, and the stabilization worked a treat at 1/10-1/20 second.

    - It's hard to tell you're looking at an EVF: the viewfinder is very clean, very transparent. I can manually focus either of the above lenses easily without bothering with either magnification or peaking assist in most cases.

    - Lightroom 5.2 imported the .ORF files without a hiccup, and for it's being "preliminary", the colors look very accurate and well-balanced.

    Glad I ordered one. After handling it with and without, I ordered the HLD7 battery grip as I know I'll want it.

    Regards a body+lens kit, the Olympus representative could not say anything substantive. As of the present time, the 12-40/2.8 lens has been pushed to end of November/early December delivery, and there is no kit bundle to talk about.

    Nice camera. I'm going to enjoy it. :-)

    G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

  42. #192
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Nice camera. I'm going to enjoy it. :-)

    G
    Thank you Godfrey
    I Can't wait, but I don't think I'll get a go until it ships

    Hopefully before we go to Lanzarote in November.

    Just this guy you know

  43. #193
    Senior Member JMaher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sarasota
    Posts
    942
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    16

    Re: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

    Thanks for checking about a kit and the update. It seems I need to buy them separately. I never sold my 25 1.4 so I would have something to shoot with while I wait.
    Last edited by JMaher; 18th September 2013 at 14:24.

  44. #194
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,874
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Regards a body+lens kit, the Olympus representative could not say anything substantive. As of the present time, the 12-40/2.8 lens has been pushed to end of November/early December delivery, and there is no kit bundle to talk about.

    G
    My dealer in Austria told me that the kits with 12-40 will ship end of October ... hard to believe we would get it earlier here though.

    Peter

  45. #195
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    A bit north of Copenhagen
    Posts
    1,522
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    569

    Re: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Back from fondling the E-M1 at the camera shop.

    - Nice, tight, solid feel.

    - Without the HLD7 fitted, it's a little small in my hands (I take an L-XL glove size) for medium to larger lenses. With the HLD7 fitted, it feels very nice indeed. The control spacings and buttons are nicely placed and just big enough to work easily.

    - I tested my ZD 35 Macro and ZD 11-22 zoom on it. If there's a difference in focusing speed between it and the E-5, I'm not sensitive to it; it's certainly faster than the E-1 or E-PL1—neither are the fastest focusing lenses in anyone's bag. Focusing accuracy seems very good, for the 16 quick point-and-snap photos I made, they are all but one right on the money.

    - ISO 800 produces very good results, and the stabilization worked a treat at 1/10-1/20 second.

    - It's hard to tell you're looking at an EVF: the viewfinder is very clean, very transparent. I can manually focus either of the above lenses easily without bothering with either magnification or peaking assist in most cases.

    - Lightroom 5.2 imported the .ORF files without a hiccup, and for it's being "preliminary", the colors look very accurate and well-balanced.

    Glad I ordered one. After handling it with and without, I ordered the HLD7 battery grip as I know I'll want it.

    Regards a body+lens kit, the Olympus representative could not say anything substantive. As of the present time, the 12-40/2.8 lens has been pushed to end of November/early December delivery, and there is no kit bundle to talk about.

    Nice camera. I'm going to enjoy it. :-)

    G

    any Pictures we could look at ?
    Thorkil

  46. #196
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,931
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

    Quote Originally Posted by Thorkil View Post

    any Pictures we could look at ?
    Thorkil
    Sorry, no. I had only a few moments to shoot 16 photos, and they were mostly of the folks standing around me at the counter. Half are JPEGs with unknown settings on the camera. There *is* useful data for me to evaluate, having made them, but no pictures worth posting to others from this batch.

    G

  47. #197
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,931
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

    Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    My dealer in Austria told me that the kits with 12-40 will ship end of October ... hard to believe we would get it earlier here though.

    Peter
    I got the impression from the Olympus rep that the delivery date for the 12-40 had changed within the past day or so. It takes a lot of time and work to bring up a lens production line, particularly for today's complicated lens marvels. Make no mistake about it, the 12-40/2.8 is worth waiting for! If I liked zooms more, I'd have that on my order sheet too. ;-)

    G

  48. #198
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

    Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    My dealer in Austria told me that the kits with 12-40 will ship end of October ... hard to believe we would get it earlier here though.

    Peter
    Hi Peter
    There is quite a history of Olympus delivering to Europe before the US . . . . and charging too much as well

    But I think the kit with the 12-40 is going to be quite a lot later than the body only or 12-50 kits.

    All the best

    Just this guy you know

  49. #199
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    A bit north of Copenhagen
    Posts
    1,522
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    569

    Re: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Sorry, no. I had only a few moments to shoot 16 photos, and they were mostly of the folks standing around me at the counter. Half are JPEGs with unknown settings on the camera. There *is* useful data for me to evaluate, having made them, but no pictures worth posting to others from this batch.

    G
    okay...did you have a chance to compare between the 11-22 and the new 12-40?
    Thorkil

  50. #200
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,931
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

    Quote Originally Posted by Thorkil View Post
    okay...did you have a chance to compare between the 11-22 and the new 12-40?
    LOL! I had the chance to play with the 12-40 for at most, oh, 20 seconds before I put it on the counter and fitted my own lenses. I don't think I even snapped the shutter with it, and if I did the image is on the rep's card. ;-)

    I'm pretty uninterested in zoom lenses. Further, I have no intention of buying any lenses at this time, and went there with two specific questions to answer for myself:

    - How does the camera handle with my lenses both with and without the battery grip?

    - How well does the PDAF focusing work with my favorite FT lenses?

    I answered both those questions, and a couple others in the back of my mind, in the short time I had to experiment with the camera. Placed my order for the HLD7 with the store, thanked Ray (the rep), and left.

    (I saw no purpose to hammering the rep with questions about the camera ... I've already read everything available about it on the net, I've already read the owners manual cover to cover twice. I doubt there's anything the rep could tell me about the camera technically that I haven't already learned ... I wanted to handle the camera to decide on two things. I was more interested in asking him the shipping dates, accessory product availability dates, etc, which is what he can really add value for.)

    G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •