The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

DavidL

View from an onlooker:watch: who has used Olympus in the past during the E1 days.
This looks like a nice camera with everything you could want, but maybe not for me.
The grip looks too big bulky, much preferred the look of the dual grip on the 5. I'm a grip sort of guy so this is important to me.
But the bottom line is, I'm not sure I could switch back to the 4/3ds ratio. I found it perfect for my studio needs but haven't hankered for it since.
Olympus have, as ever, offered something for pre and early buyers the grip and the 4/3ds lens converter. This always gives me the feeling that the camera is overpriced by the value of the give away.
I'm currently happy in Fujiland and if the rumoured X-E1S / X-E2 has the sensor from the X100s with it's phase detection AF, as reported, that should improve the AF. For my current work I'm not having AF problems but I'm just shooting "Stock" in my retirement. If it doesn't it just doesn't, I have no pressure to get images, if I can't, I can't. I find this Oh so refreshing having had to get stuff for clients for so many years. Now I just get stuff for me and if it looks OK it's for sale on Alamy:clap:
Having said the above if I still had my 150 F2 Olympus lens it would be very tempting. But luckily I haven't so, "Temptation is not there".
David

Brian Mosley

Well, thankfully things have moved on from the early days when we had to wait months for dpreview to put out a 58 page specification review... we have first impression pieces, first hands on reviews coming out of our ears from the moment (or about an hour before) the camera is officially revealed, and a pretty full picture from 43rumors before that!

All these 3rd party virtual reviews have just made me more thirsty to try the thing for real... I have a feeling the most important aspect will be how the camera feels and handles... especially, at last!, with focus peaking through that enormous viewfinder!

Cheers

Brian

Knorp

:OT:
Oh yes, they did it again: this p****s me off big time:

"Buyers in the UK can get the HLD-7 battery grip if they pre-order the camera before launch, plus the MMF-3 Four Thirds adapter if they purchase the E-M1 by the end of November."

That's no small chance, guys: easily worth €230 - €250

:cussing: :angry: :banghead: :cry:

I guess I'd better migrate ...

:chug:

jonoslack

"Buyers in the UK can get the HLD-7 battery grip if they pre-order the camera before launch, plus the MMF-3 Four Thirds adapter if they purchase the E-M1 by the end of November."

:cussing: :angry: :banghead: :cry:

:chug:
HI Bart
you want me to buy you one? I might possibly trust you :p

Godfrey

I guess it's a small payback for people living where fuel for their cars regularly costs about double what it costs me.

It is irritating, however.

Hmm. About time to go to lunch...

G

scott kirkpatrick

WOW, 11-22 is GEM.... ! I own one... it is a wonderful lens... compact, fast and sharp ...
I had one with my E-1. It was maximally sharp wide open, no need to stop down. But both E-1 and E-3 are gone now, along with the 11-22 and a lovely prime, the 50/2.0 macro. The 45/1.8 M4/3 is nice, but doesn't quite replace the older 50/2, which gave me things like this:

Is the M4/3 9-18 a worthy successor to the 11-22? I understand it is very small but reviews seem to prefer the 12/2.0. I do hope that the prospect of good 4/3 to M4/3 adaptation doesn't do to the price of older Olympus DSLR glass what the Leica M240 has done to Leica R lens prices.

scott

P.S. Here's what the 11-22 could do back in the E-1 days:

That's the Hogwarts rail line from Mallaig, but not the the actual Hogwarts Express. Shot at 11 mm.

Last edited:

scott kirkpatrick

Oh yes, they did it again:

Beware the pre-release sweeteners. I ordered my E-P5 with a $100 rebate for pre-ordering by June 15. Prepaid. Filled out all the papers. And waited. June came and went. Also July. Had to leave for Iceland August 1, so I called around and found a shop in Boston that had gotten a stock (before Amazon, B&H and Popflash), got a refund from Popflash, since we are old friends, and bought locally on my last day in the US. Paid MA sales tax. Lost the rebate. But I love the camera.

scott

Brian Mosley

Scott, much as I loved my bomb proof, weather sealed ZD 11-22, I think the mZD 9-18 is lighter, more compact, more flexible and ultimately more useful - especially on the smaller Pens and the E-M5.

A couple of shots at 9mm with the E-P3 + mZD 9-18...

Furthermore, I think the budget would be better put towards the Pro mZD 12-40 f2.8 with the E-M1.

Cheers

Brian