Site Sponsors
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    - How does the camera handle with my lenses both with and without the battery grip?

- How well does the PDAF focusing work with my favorite FT lenses?

I answered both those questions,
    G
    HI Godfrey
    Straight to the point - and useful to me.
    Although I enjoy reading about other people's experiences, they really aren't that relevant.
    But when you say the PDAF works - that is relevant. And when you and Jorgen have ordered one - that's relevant as well.
    It's been a long time since I've seen such concerted approval for a new camera.

I guess I could drive 100 miles and get a play with one, but I've heard/seen enough, so I'll wait patiently until mine arrives.

all the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono

Couldn't have said it better myself!
    Cheers, Dave
    www.simmondsphotography.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Mmm, I'll be driving half that distance to attend an E-M1 introduction workshop in October ...
    Bart ...

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The shutter sound is very nice also btw., like a whisper or a slush. Reminds me of the Contax RX only muted.
    Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Thorkil View Post
    Thanks for the link
    Not much to dislike really - I can't wait.
    . . . . .

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Thanks for the link
    Not much to dislike really - I can't wait.
    . . . . .

(now considering an almost non-used Zuiko 12-60mm in advance)
    Thorkil

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I think he makes too much of the power switch location, which bothers me not at all, but otherwise a pretty level report. :-)

G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream

Post Thanks / Like

That's the funny thing about ergonomics I guess.

The one bit of advice I always give people about camera purchases whenever I get asked is try before you buy otherwise you have an expensive paperweight.

I did enjoy reading his article. But I am still not swayed towards moving form the EM-5 to the EM-1 yet. I'll have to see it and try it out in person. Fortunately, I don't feel the rush do do it immediately as I expect it will be in short supply for quite a while.

The 12-40 interests me mostly as a better weatherproof alternative to the 12-50 that I currently own. I recently shot in the Olympics (rain forest in the rain), and it was the first time I was glad to have an alternative to my primes that was weatherproof. And that makes me want the faster 12-40, just for that, hmmmm.

Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

just another nice link
    Review: Olympus 12-40mm f2.8 (Micro Four Thirds)
    thorkil

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Zooms in this range are rarely my thing, but having seen the lens in person and felt it in operation, I have to say it is a wonderful piece. Kudos to Olympus for this and their other superb M.Zuiko offerings in the past year and some. The 12/2, 18/1.8, 45/1.8, 60/2.8 Macro, and 75/1.8 all sing.

I'm more likely to buy a the Panasonic/Leica Summilux-DG 25/1.4 ASPH, however, as a fast normal lens for the format is one of the most useful to me. I sold my Summilux-D 25/1.4 ASPH to the same friend I sold my E-5 and L1 to, and he uses it a lot. I've missed having it for the E-1; the consumer grade ZD 25/2.8 isn't in the same class. Time to fix that for the E-M1 ...

G

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Zooms in this range are rarely my thing, but having seen the lens in person and felt it in operation, I have to say it is a wonderful piece. Kudos to Olympus for this and their other superb M.Zuiko offerings in the past year and some. The 12/2, 18/1.8, 45/1.8, 60/2.8 Macro, and 75/1.8 all sing.

I'm more likely to buy a the Panasonic/Leica Summilux-DG 25/1.4 ASPH, however, as a fast normal lens for the format is one of the most useful to me. I sold my Summilux-D 25/1.4 ASPH to the same friend I sold my E-5 and L1 to, and he uses it a lot. I've missed having it for the E-1; the consumer grade ZD 25/2.8 isn't in the same class. Time to fix that for the E-M1 ...

G
    Hi Godfrey
    - are you going to get the µ43 or the 43 summilux? I've often been tempted by the µ43, but I keep stopping at the last moment.
    Truth is that, unlike you, if I'm going to shoot primes I prefer to use the Leica, For me, one of the chief joys of µ43 is the very high quality small Zuiko zooms.

I was out shooting with the modest 14-150 µ43 zoom today - it's tiny, and really very good, and focuses down to about 6" (quite something at 300mm equivalent!).

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Godfrey
    - are you going to get the µ43 or the 43 summilux? I've often been tempted by the µ43, but I keep stopping at the last moment.
    Truth is that, unlike you, if I'm going to shoot primes I prefer to use the Leica, For me, one of the chief joys of µ43 is the very high quality small Zuiko zooms.

I was out shooting with the modest 14-150 µ43 zoom today - it's tiny, and really very good, and focuses down to about 6" (quite something at 300mm equivalent!).
    I prefer working with prime lenses most of the time in the wide to portrait tele range. The M9 is such a different kind of camera to use that they don't overlap in my perception. Every time I buy a stellar "normal zoom", it ends up sitting in the drawer most of the time being ignored, and eventually I sell it. I like the ultra-wide zooms (11-22 is a near perfect lens) and the equivalent 70-200 range zooms most (although even there I tend to prefer primes). I've taken your note on the 14-150 and put it on my "maybe" list as it sounds a nice piece for travel.

I toyed with the idea of obtaining another FourThirds Summilux 25, but it is such a large and heavy lens ... while I loved using it with the E-1, I don't think it's sensible for the E-M1. It's also hard to find and more expensive, there's not much different about it performance-wise to go extra for it over the mFT version. There's also the Nokton 25/0.95 to consider, if I want to stick with manual focus.

What I'll most likely do first is see how well the Ultron 28/2 M-mount lens works on the E-M1 and decide a little later whether to buy another FT lens in this focal length range.

G

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I prefer working with prime lenses most of the time in the wide to portrait tele range. The M9 is such a different kind of camera to use that they don't overlap in my perception.
    I quite understand (and they are different) - but I take one camera setup depending on circumstance / mood, and if I shoot primes with µ43 I almost always end up wishing I'd brought the M instead (and vice versa). So I make a decision before I go out and stick to it - people and events are always the M . . . . nature and travel can be one or the other.

Every time I buy a stellar "normal zoom", it ends up sitting in the drawer most of the time being ignored, and eventually I sell it. I like the ultra-wide zooms (11-22 is a near perfect lens) and the equivalent 70-200 range zooms most (although even there I tend to prefer primes). I've taken your note on the 14-150 and put it on my "maybe" list as it sounds a nice piece for travel.
    It's interesting - shooting with the X-Vario, and then re-evaluating the humble Zuiko 14-150 I realise that slow lenses can do very well from a quality point of view . . . . in decent light - I have the two panasonic zooms (12-35, 35-100) but I don't use them much - neither of them are long enough! I'm much more excited by the Zuiko 12-40 and 40-140 lenses (time to save some pennies).

The 14-150 is just so very versatile - and is long as you don't need fast.

All the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

G
    Godfrey,

I have the m43 Summilux-DG 25/1.4 and it is a superb lens, tack sharp, perfect contrast, reasonably fast and good manual control - you will love this!

Peter

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

...It's interesting - shooting with the X-Vario, and then re-evaluating the humble Zuiko 14-150 I realise that slow lenses can do very well from a quality point of view . . . . in decent light..
    Yes, a lot of people overlook some superb lenses just because they aren't fast fast fast extremist things. Like the Voigtländer Color Skopar 50mm f/2.5 and the lovely little M-Rokkor 90mm f/4, for instance. Two of my favorites.

The 14-150 is just so very versatile - and is long as you don't need fast.
    Sounds like a winner for general purpose and travel use. As said, it's on my "maybe" list now. I'll hold you to blame when I buy it (and for the 60 Macro).

G

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    I have the m43 Summilux-DG 25/1.4 and it is a superb lens, tack sharp, perfect contrast, reasonably fast and good manual control - you will love this!
    LOL ... You're not helping, Peter. I'm trying to avoid buying more... ;-)
    But thank you anyway!

G

Post Thanks / Like

I can attest the F1.4 Panny/Leica m4/3rds is indeed a very good lens (and one of my very favorite focal lengths). I tried it several times on an OMD.

Funny thing- the color "cast" or signature of the lens (yes, it sort of has/imparts one) is very similar to the 4/3rds cousin - the Panny-Leica 4/3rds F1.4 lens.

- Ricardo

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The best m4/3lens I have ever owned.

I sold off almost all my m4/3 lenses thinking I might not come back. All that is except the Panasonic/Leica 25 1.4. Now of course I am thinking of ordering the E-M1 and I'll start back with this lens while waiting for the new 12-40.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

hmm...got a call to pick up the camera tomorrow at me dealer
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok, I caved and ordered the Summilux 25mm f/1.4 ...
    Eh, it's only money. ;-)

G

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, I caved and ordered the Summilux 25mm f/1.4 ...
    Eh, it's only money. ;-)

G
    You'll love it. Right now I only have this lens plus the 4/3 35mm f/3.5 macro that I picked up on eBay while awaiting the Oly zoom, but the PL25 is the only prime that I need right now and I'm comfortable with the FL and the IQ.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am traveling and had a chance to try the Em-1 with a variety of lenses at Glaziers in Seattle. Looks and feels great - better even than I expected.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Re: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.84

Ok, I caved and ordered the Summilux 25mm f/1.4
    Congratulations. It is my favorite in my m43 lineup (12,17,20,25,45,12-50,14-140 I,75-300 II). I like everything about it, except the huge lenshood and the chattering sound on Olympus bodies when going from very bright to dark. That doesn't bother me enough to not use it.

On the travel zooms: when I had both the 14-150 and the 14-140, the latter was without a doubt sharper than the 14-150. Especially the corners of the 14-150 were very soft in my copy. That said: I've seen evidence of it being the other way round with other people. Sample variation at work I think. Maybe I should get the 14-150 again. After all, that 14-140 seems glued to the GH2 my son inherited from me and I no longer have a Panasonic camera body. And on the Olympus bodies, I much preferred the handling of the 14-150.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

camera showed up, i may have gotten one of the first. from Berger bros in Syossett, NY want to give them a good recommendation.

no time to play with it yet

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    camera showed up, i may have gotten one of the first. from Berger bros in Syossett, NY want to give them a good recommendation.

no time to play with it yet
    HI John
    None in the UK yet I'm afraid
    Was it just the camera body?

all the body?

all the best

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by marlof View Post
    On the travel zooms: when I had both the 14-150 and the 14-140, the latter was without a doubt sharper than the 14-150. Especially the corners of the 14-150 were very soft in my copy. That said: I've seen evidence of it being the other way round with other people. Sample variation at work I think. Maybe I should get the 14-150 again. After all, that 14-140 seems glued to the GH2 my son inherited from me and I no longer have a Panasonic camera body. And on the Olympus bodies, I much preferred the handling of the 14-150.
    I love my 14-150, it's so small and neat and it focuses so close, and I have to say that I've never noticed it not being sharp enough. seems great to me (maybe I'm lucky) certainly better than my 75-300 version I.

All the best

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

re: Summilux 25

Thanks all y'all ... :-)

I had the Summilux' big brother for FourThirds SLRs, it was my most-used lens. It'll be nice to have this one for the new body, probably will be my most used lens.

G

Post Thanks / Like

You'll like it, Godfrey. When I'm using primes, it's what's on my E-M5 most of the time. It does have some barrel distortion, which the camera fixes in JPG, and most of the good raw processors can deal with. Apart from that, it's just a fast, nice-drawing lens.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I love my 14-150, it's so small and neat and it focuses so close, and I have to say that I've never noticed it not being sharp enough. seems great to me (maybe I'm lucky) certainly better than my 75-300 version I.
    I agree Jono, I have a 14-150 on one of my EM5's only changing it for either the 9-18 or the 60 macro. The other body has either the Panny 100-300 or the mZuiko 75-300 mk2 but I find the 75-300 slower to focus and less sharp than the 100-300. I am hoping that the focusing of this lens will improve both in time and on the new EM1 body.

I tried the EM1 for the first time in Southampton yesterday and I had great difficulty in handing it back!! It is a lovely handling camera with a virtually identical menu system to the EM5 with just HDR and time lapse added as far as I could work out in the time I had with the camera. The viewfinder is absolutely gorgeous, big and adjustably bright.

However the button layout is more logical and more of 'em! I particularly like the AEL focus lock button easily within right thumb reach, very much reminding me of a much smaller, lighter and much less expensive Leica S2!!

The built in hand grip is delightful and it is a really comfortable camera to hold, certainly with the new 12-40 F2.8 lens which was on it during my time with it. This should auger well for use with longer reach lenses as the 12-40 is quite a heavy lens containing a large amount of glass!

I tried to snaffle it, but I didn't succeed! The lovely Olympus rep did say that her own EM1 was required in Germany next week, so she would have to let this one go, which upset her more than just a bit.

So, at the moment, the EM1 is rarer than a hens tooth here in the UK!

I did learn that delivery is still expected mid-October and this should satisfy the pre-orders via Olympus Premier dealers, so fingers crossed.
    Cheers, Dave
    www.simmondsphotography.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

HI Dave
    Thanks for the information - I missed out on going up to see it at Norwich yesterday, I'm saving up the pleasure for when it's released!

I can't wait.

Just this guy you know

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

body only
    will try some shots today with the 35-100, maybe the oly 75

jm

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

body only
    will try some shots today with the 35-100, maybe the oly 75

jm
    Hi John
    so.....When do we see the 'Fun with the Olympus E-M1' Thread?

all the best

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Beyond the "fun with ..." image thread, which I can only look in on and enjoy the pix until my camera arrives, more serious equipment issues:

I wonder who will be the first to ship a quality camera plate and HLD7 plate for the Arca Swiss tripod clamps?

Yes, Virginia, I use a tripod often. ;-)

G

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I wonder who will be the first to ship a quality camera plate and HLD7 plate for the Arca Swiss tripod clamps?
    I wrote Acratech, Kirk Photo, and Really Right Stuff.

So far, Kirk Photo says they don't have any plans, Acratech hasn't yet responded, and RRS says they plan to, but they haven't gotten started yet. However, once they have a camera in hand, they expect it will take six to eight weeks to reach production.

Godfrey

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

probably me in a couple of weeks, no grip needed! free battery access

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

probably me in a couple of weeks, no grip needed! free battery access
    You go for it John! You do this stuff so well.

Me? I haven't used a tripod since 1973 (well, perhaps that's a bit of an exaggeration)

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Klein View Post
    You'll like it, Godfrey. When I'm using primes, it's what's on my E-M5 most of the time. It does have some barrel distortion, which the camera fixes in JPG, and most of the good raw processors can deal with. Apart from that, it's just a fast, nice-drawing lens.
    The Summilux arrived today. As a quick test, lacking the E-M1 as yet, I fitted it to the E-PL1.

Hmm. It sure does click and clack a lot. The iris is constantly chick-chick-chick-ing around as it focuses. Does it do that on your E-M5?

My test exposures look beautiful, it is optically all that its supposed to be, but I don't recall all that chattering about when I tested it last. But that was on a Panasonic body ... I'd heard some complaints about it on the Olympus bodies. Even in manual focus it is constantly chattering, and it's loud.

Frankly, if it does this on the E-M5 or E-M1, I suspect I'll return it. That chattering about would drive me mad and spoil my quiet photographic moments. The Olympus ZD 25, fitted to the E-PL1, does a bit more searching when focusing than the Summilux but is otherwise quiet. If that kind of busy chattering is the price of using the Summilux, well, I might prefer the Voigtländer Nokton 25/0.95 or the Olympus M.Zuiko 17/1.8.

G

Post Thanks / Like

i do not have noise or clattering when i use the summilux on my EM5

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Problem occurred once or twice in the two years I have had the lens on an EM-5.

Jim

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I posted about the Summilux "chit-chit" noise to the DPR mFT forum. One of the folks there said there is an option in some of the latest Olympus bodies to turn off the "flicker reduction" feature, which has the side effect of stopping the "chit-chit" "chit-chit" behavior of the Summilux-DG.

The E-M1 has this option, the E-M5 does not. Perhaps it will work out.

I was fooling with it on the E-PL1 again. I tell you, I will not keep this lens if there's no way to stop the noise. It would drive me batty. What a dumb thing to get in the way of a fine lens! :-|

G

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I posted about the Summilux "chit-chit" noise to the DPR mFT forum. One of the folks there said there is an option in some of the latest Olympus bodies to turn off the "flicker reduction" feature, which has the side effect of stopping the "chit-chit" "chit-chit" behavior of the Summilux-DG.

The E-M1 has this option, the E-M5 does not. Perhaps it will work out.

I was fooling with it on the E-PL1 again. I tell you, I will not keep this lens if there's no way to stop the noise. It would drive me batty. What a dumb thing to get in the way of a fine lens! :-|

G
    I have used that lens both on the E-P3 and E-M5 and the shattering is there on both bodies. However you hear it only when the light conditions are changing. It never bothered me. When it starts, I just point the lens toward the ground or even put the hand over the lens to block the light and thus the shatter. Or I shut the camera down : this helps saving battery life as well. So, really not a problem for me (but then I'm not a video shooter).

I love that lens and I ended up loving the shattering too. Its whispering keeps me company :-) like a good friend.