The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Looks very good and just comes right time for me!

I am on the fence for getting solely into M43 while getting out of Fuji X. And also skip any APSC cameras from CaNikon and others, as the reals size and quality advantage is there with M43 - however you choose, either EM1, EP5 or even GX7.

I missed soooo many shots with my Fuji X Pro 1 because of slow and unresponsive AF, also with all FW upgrades available. I never missed any shot because of that with my OMD. Plus when comparing XPro1, OMD and Pentax K5IIs IQ, I cannot help but overall like IQ from OMD best.

So I expect at least same IQ from EM1 and together with the new lens (and hopefully other similar lenses to come from Olympus) they will be back in the highest ranks of digital photography.

For me M43 finally now seems to have matured :thumbup:

Knorp

Well, my K5IIs tops my E-M5 by a whisker, they are really close but I think the Pentax has the edge.
So I'm looking forward to see what this E-M1 can do.

Kind regards.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Well, my K5IIs tops my E-M5 by a whisker, they are really close but I think the Pentax has the edge.
So I'm looking forward to see what this E-M1 can do.

Kind regards.
Maybe the K5IIs wins the IQ race slightly if everything else is perfect (AF, WB, exposure etc.) but usually I found the OMD being most times more accurate in these disciplines and so OMD tops IQ IMHO.

Maybe it is only the way I operate the camera or shoot, but finally this is what I can get out easily and this is what matters most for me.

Having said that the K5IIs is a great camera and Pentax lenses are superb.

CPWarner

One thing I saw that is rather interesting is the HDR label on the knob on the left side of the pentaprism. I wonder if they now have built in HDR as seen in some other DSLR's (Canon 5D mark3 for example). I am probably more interested in the lens though. I can't wait to see comparisons to the Panasonic 12-35mm. The Panasonic is very good, so the comparison will be interesting.

etrigan63

Hopefully the continuous focus AF will benefit from the on-sensor PDAF. A real test will be to focus on fast moving objects in low light (dancers). Improved high-ISO performance would be a plus.

The Oly 35-100mm f/2.0 lens looks to be right up my dance alley assuming that the PDAF continuous tracking is any good.

Last edited:

Brian Mosley

I'm interested in the electronic shutter... could be the 'revolutionary' bit.

The extra room provided by the grip should help the feel too. Can't wait to try this with my Hexanon 57mm f1.2... hopefully we can have focus peaking at last (come on, let's have the E-M5 firmware update with it!)

Brian

etrigan63

Rumor mills also expect a 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO lens to be announced as well!
Splendid days! (playing too much Candy Crush)

Brian Mosley

Yes, good timing for me... I held off the Lumix 12-35/35-100 and these two lenses have great potential.

Still haven't given my latest purchase any decent exercise yet... so no rush here :)

Brian

mmbma

After using the OMD for 6 months hoping to replace my DSLR, I am selling it and getting the 5D2 back. The tiny shutter lag, the latency in the EVF, the half second delay in playback, slow lenses, just dont' cut it for me. I love the size but after the zoom lens (I have the pancake zoom too but hate the electronic zoom) it is pretty big.

It feels almost liberating when I picked up another canon's ungainly body. Reminds me of what I've been missing.

jonoslack

Well. The OMD already makes a grand companion to my Leica ff kit. This looks like 43 finally coming of age. I'll be joining the Q

emr

Both the camera body and the lens sound brilliant. However, I'm a little worried about the size and weight. For me, the whole concept of m43 is about a great compromise between size and IQ. When the body and lens size start approaching APS-C DSLR territory, I start questioning the point. Even the 12-50mm kit zoom is a little long for my taste physically. And now this.

dhsimmonds

Both the camera body and the lens sound brilliant. However, I'm a little worried about the size and weight. For me, the whole concept of m43 is about a great compromise between size and IQ. When the body and lens size start approaching APS-C DSLR territory, I start questioning the point. Even the 12-50mm kit zoom is a little long for my taste physically. And now this.
Ah, I guess that you are not a serious natural history photographer then!
Believe me, the OMD with either the mZuiko 75-300 or Panny G 100-300 on is a whole lot smaller and lighter than the equivalent FF or APS-C DSLR!!

With my old Sony A77 or A900 with Sony 75-400 lens or Sigma 150-500 lens I needed a body harness system to support both bulk and weight.

With the OMD's I can take two with me for all day shoots both suspended around my neck. One fitted with a long zoom, usually the heavier Panny 100-300, the other with a mZuiko 14-150. The IBIS works perfectly for long focal lengths, so I get sharper shots than with my old DSLR set up and I don't get tired.

By the way I will never see 73 again either!

So what will this new Oy OMD give me.... hopefully dual PDAF/Contrast AF which will allow me to get fast action, which contrast detect on it's own just can't get or if I am lucky perhaps once in a hundred shots!!

emr

Believe me, the OMD with either the mZuiko 75-300 or Panny G 100-300 on is a whole lot smaller and lighter than the equivalent FF or APS-C DSLR!!
I use both an E-M5 and a Pentax K-5 and while the m43 is smaller and lighter, I don't think there's a night and day difference.

Admittedly, I got the tennis elbow carrying the K-5 wrist-wrapped for a long weekend last year. Haven't tried if that would happen with the E-M5.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I use both an E-M5 and a Pentax K-5 and while the m43 is smaller and lighter, I don't think there's a night and day difference.

Admittedly, I got the tennis elbow carrying the K-5 wrist-wrapped for a long weekend last year. Haven't tried if that would happen with the E-M5.
The K-5 is the only DSLR that is close to competing with m4/3 when it comes to size and weight. I shoot Nikon, and when considering Nikon camera bodies and and lenses with similar qualities to what I have in m4/3, there's no competition whatsoever.

I have consider changing my m4/3 gear for a Pentax kit though... :rolleyes:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Hm.... WRT size and weight:

I am using the EM5 with kit zoom and some primes (Leica 25, Oly 45 and 17 etc) as well as the K5 with 18-135. I must say that there is a significant size difference (and also some weight difference but not as much). I would say WRT seize & weight m43 clearly wins. If it comes to ease of handling and overall usage experience, for me the K5 is the clear winner.

So how will that spoil down to the expected EM1 and 12-40 and rumored 40-150 2.8 lenses? Cannot say but I believe even there the m43 will be lighter and smaller - would say the clear winner if easier carrying is the preferred thing.

If it comes to haptics and overall handling I still believe I would prefer the K5 with lenses. Actually some fast Pentax Limited primes (15, 21, 35, 43, 70 or 77) paired with a 4/16-45 and 4-5.8/55-300 will give a pretty much great flexible set with a final range from 23 - 450 (in FF terms) with reasonable high speed. And DOF will for sure be equal or better with Pentax APSC compared to m43 (see attached images).

On paper m43 will have the advantage of more reach with less weight if using the Oly 75-300, but again DOF will not be as good. So all is pretty on par finally. And depends if one prefers OVF or EVF end of the day. Currently it looks that I am preferring Pentax ;)

All 3 shots with Pentax K5IIs and the "cheap" 18-135 wide open at 135 (equals 200mm in FF terms) - actually what a wonderful system :thumbup:

emr

I have consider changing my m4/3 gear for a Pentax kit though...
When I recently shot my daughters' party, I used the E-M5 and not the K-5 because the Olympus contrast detect AF is so much more accurate than the notorious K-5 AF which is more a hit and miss business. But ergonomically there's no question which is better: Pentax.