The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

raist3d

Instead of going cross-eyed from reading all the numbers and statistics, and trying to divine why this camera is better than some other camera—or not—including some other camera that I already own. And reading all the various folderal of reviews and debates pro-con ad nauseam ....

I'm putting in my order because I want one. I'm sure it will be a fine camera, I can pay for it, and I'll use it.

What better reasons to buy a camera do I need? ]'-)

G
I do not believe anyone has said otherwise :)

- Ricardo

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Here's a quote from Part 2 of Ming's review:

"And here we come full circle: I compare the E-M1 to the D600 because it’s the cheapest entry into full frame (and I didn’t have access to a pro DX camera; in any case, none of the current lineup match it on spec either) – and whilst the D600 still holds a bit of an advantage in image quality, it’s not as much as you might think; less in practical application; far more of the difference will come down to shot discipline and how the images are processed. And that’s assuming pixels are going to be peeped: they’re close enough that even at 100% it takes a reasonably trained eye to spot the difference. Everybody will see the composition first, of course. Even if we’d had DX cameras in the mix, the results would be even closer still – if not an even match. Even as it stands, I haven’t observed that much difference in underlying sensor quality between the GR and OM-D; at stop, at most. Most of the difference is due to the optics. Yet despite its sensor, the D600 lags behind in every other specification; it’s not until you hit the full-fat D4 that you can match frame rates or environmental sealing. Bottom line: there is simply nothing quite like the E-M1 at the moment – a very compact professional system camera."

Food for thought. m4/3 seems to be ready for prime time. When looking at the 12-40mm samples, it's quite clear that this is a lens that is designed for shooting at full aperture. One has to look very closely to see much difference between f/2.8 and f/5.6, even in the corners.

Lens test here:
Lens review: The Olympus 12-40/2.8 M.Zuiko PRO

Brian Mosley

Thanks for the link Jorgen,

I had a nice day out with a lucky few Olympus Photo Safari Group members in the London area yesterday to get a first hands-on session with the E-M1 and mZD PRO 12-40mm f2.8

We're blessed now, with some first rate reviewers like Ming Thein above, Robin Wong is also an easy read and a few more so I won't add anything technical to those.

I was half expecting / hoping the 12-40mm f2.8 would make an m4/3rds optimised version of the 12-60 and Olympus did better than that - this is one seriously high spec camera kit.

The feel is instantly far more pleasurable than the E-M5 + grip, despite being about the same size it feels more businesslike. The buttons, dials and switches are all beautifully tactile and precise. Still some focus firmware development to come for the more exotic ZD 90-250mm f2.8, Sigma 150 macro and Bigma as you'd expect at this stage, which suggests we'll see even more in terms of 4/3rds focus performance than any previous body.

I was shocked how well they've managed to make the camera balance and perform with full sized ZD lenses like the 12-60 - focusing is easily on a par (actually feels faster due to different focusing algorithm) with my E-3. E-system shooters now have a valid upgrade path from the E-5 and a bridge to the new m4/3rds developments.

If the E-M5 got a 10/10 for opening heavy shooters eyes to the potential of m4/rds, prepare to see the dam burst... This one goes all the way up to 11.

p.s. Focus peaking works with all lenses! You need to assign it to an external button to switch it on/off for legacy lenses, as it slows the EVF refresh rate slightly.
Comparing E-M5 directly with E-M1 viewfinders, the E-M1 is more natural, less grainy and noticeably larger.

I hope Olympus haven't underestimated demand for this system - this is a safe pre-order folks.

Cheers

Brian

raist3d

I haven't seen a preview yet trying to find out how the camera does in lower light with 4/3rds lenses. I expect the AF to go worse as it does for all cameras, but what I would like to see is if it keeps parity with the E-3/E-5. Not too worried about the native lenses.

This only matters to those of us with a 4/3rds lens system.

- Ricardo

Brian Mosley

If I can get more hands on time with it, I'll let you know how it performs in very low light, but it seems to do better (as with typical pdaf) with high contrast edges - especially vertical lines.

Performance definitely on a par with E-3 (from personal experience) - with potential to be better if Olympus keep pushing the firmware developers (you know how that goes Ricardo, last in - most pressure before launch!). Hybrid cdaf/pdaf has a lot of potential.

Cheers

Brian

dhsimmonds

:thumbs:
I hope Olympus haven't underestimated demand for this system - this is a safe pre-order folks. Brian
I have placed an advance order and paid my deposit so I should now also be able to claim my free accessory.....it will be the battery grip! :thumbs:

tashley

Subscriber Member
Ok, I'm in. I just placed my pre-order with the new zoom included. The clincher was Ming's review of the lens, published today.

I spend waay too much on cameras....

jonoslack

I haven't seen a preview yet trying to find out how the camera does in lower light with 4/3rds lenses. I expect the AF to go worse as it does for all cameras, but what I would like to see is if it keeps parity with the E-3/E-5. Not too worried about the native lenses.

This only matters to those of us with a 4/3rds lens system.

- Ricardo
Hi There Ricardo
Here is a link to dPreview's updated page:
AF performance

They seem to think the tracking with µ43 lenses is on a par with the Nikon 1, and that with the 43 lenses it's on a par with the E5 - but as you suggested, probably not so good in lower light.

All the best

Matix

:thumbs:

I have placed an advance order and paid my deposit so I should now also be able to claim my free accessory.....it will be the battery grip! :thumbs:
Dave, I look forward to seeing your pics...and to hear what you think of it. I tried the EM-5 and did not like the ergonomics so went for the GH3. The EM-1 is interesting, just have to hold one I guess.

Phil

DavidL

:OT:Careful guys all this talk could drive down the price of the GH3 even further it's already around 2/3ds the price of the new Olympus. That's here in the UK. Not comparing cameras here just prices.
I'm a long time ago Olympus user and imagine the 12-40 will be a very good lens. I wasn't unhappy with the 14-54 on the E1 as a general lens. I mostly used the 11-22 and 50-200 on two E1 bodies. Loved the 150 f2 as I said in an earlier post. What a lens that could be on the E-M1.
In my dotage I've sort of gone back to that with a 14mm and 55-200 on Fuji, again with the standard zoom as a knock around lens, although I'm not sure it will knock around much longer. Commitment to this system takes me out of the Olympus equation. One of the joys of retirement is that it removes the pressure to take photos to please others.
Looking forward to seeing what you guys do with the new camera, probably the same as you did with your old ones, but I hope it brings added enjoyment to the process.
David

V

Vivek

:OT:Careful guys all this talk could drive down the price of the GH3 even further it's already around 2/3ds the price of the new Olympus. That's here in the UK. Not comparing cameras here just prices.
I'm a long time ago Olympus user and imagine the 12-40 will be a very good lens. I wasn't unhappy with the 14-54 on the E1 as a general lens. I mostly used the 11-22 and 50-200 on two E1 bodies. Loved the 150 f2 as I said in an earlier post. What a lens that could be on the E-M1.
In my dotage I've sort of gone back to that with a 14mm and 55-200 on Fuji, again with the standard zoom as a knock around lens, although I'm not sure it will knock around much longer. Commitment to this system takes me out of the Olympus equation. One of the joys of retirement is that it removes the pressure to take photos to please others.
Looking forward to seeing what you guys do with the new camera, probably the same as you did with your old ones, but I hope it brings added enjoyment to the process.
David
David, What an odd comment to make! GH3, etc m43rds are not only over priced but also getting to be bigger and heavier. It seems to me that big chunk of the preorder folks are buying a set (and not a system) which makes the EM1+the zoom as more on par with the high end point and shoot cameras out there.

Comparison to the old D700 is hilarious. Are there any comparable lens ranges, flashes and other accessories available in the m43rds- pro or amateur? :)

cjlacz

Ok, I'm in. I just placed my pre-order with the new zoom included. The clincher was Ming's review of the lens, published today.

Same here. Reserved mine today. I don't need it, but it's too hard to resist. If it's typically of most Oly top end camera upgrade schedule it's probably good for about three years. I have no issue with that. I'm happy with the E-M5's output and this looks a little better. With all the other improvements I'm ready to invest and get my enjoyment out of it.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
My 2 cents - I always use both extra grips on the EM-5, so the new body looks about the same. My ONLY gripe with the EM-5 is the AF speed at the long end, and only for action shots with busy backgrounds. Is there any chance of an EM-1 lens pairing that will come close to big DSLR AF performance? It doesn't sound that way from the reviews so far.

Do I understand correctly that phase detection is limited to four-thirds lenses? It doesn't sound like it will apply to the upcoming Olympus pro tele-zoom, but we won't know how well the AF works till that lens appears.

Holding off for now...

Best,

Matt

jonoslack

Do I understand correctly that phase detection is limited to four-thirds lenses? It doesn't sound like it will apply to the upcoming Olympus pro tele-zoom, but we won't know how well the AF works till that lens appears.

Holding off for now...

Best,

Matt
No Matt. Phase detect is used for all lenses in continuous focus. It should be very very fast with the new telephoto lenses: whether it's as fast as a big professional dSLR is a different matter, I don't know the answer.

All the best

jonoslack

Comparison to the old D700 is hilarious.
I quite agree. An out of date camera whose image quality was much over rated on the basis of a small MP count (everyone WILL compare at 100%, even when it represents a different proportion of the image).
I had one for several years.

Are there any comparable lens ranges, flashes and other accessories available in the m43rds- pro or amateur? :)
Absolutely, both pro and auto. Funny thing to say:confused:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I expect the new PDAF to make the EM1 almost as useable as any Nikon or Canon Pro DSLR, if both are paired with right lenses.

Actually AF-C speed was really one thing which did not work on the EM5, now it should be perfect ;)

Godfrey

Now I feel like a member of CBA (Camera Buying Anonymous). :-\
Yeah, I put in my order last night. No lens ... just the body and MMF-3.

Between the 11-22 and 35 Macro, and Leica R lenses from 50 to 180, I'm good. Maybe another fast prime lens at some point next year. Oh yeah, I better order a good Leica R to mFT mount adapter now...

G

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
This is one cam that opened my eyes when I read the announcement. If the continuous focus is really quick and I can get a fast long lens like a 300mm equivalent than I may really have to look at it.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
David, What an odd comment to make! GH3, etc m43rds are not only over priced but also getting to be bigger and heavier. It seems to me that big chunk of the preorder folks are buying a set (and not a system) which makes the EM1+the zoom as more on par with the high end point and shoot cameras out there.

Comparison to the old D700 is hilarious. Are there any comparable lens ranges, flashes and other accessories available in the m43rds- pro or amateur? :)
I find no comparisons hilarious, and there are a few paradoxes out there. Here's one:

The only current Nikon model that has features comparable to the E-M1 is the D4 (megapixels, fps, buffer size, general functionality). The D4 is probably vastly superior when it comes to AF and high ISO, but it's three times as expensive, weighs twice as much, doesn't have articulated LCD, doesn't have IBIS etc. Now, try to buy a pro quality 600mm eqv. to each of those cameras. The Nikkor 600mm f/4 is $9,800 and 5 kg, the Zuiko 300mm f/2.8 is $7,000 and 3.3 kg. Ultra WA zoom? A comparison between the Panasonic 7-14 and the Nikkor 14-24 looks even worse.

Obviously, one can do things with the Nikon setup that can't be done with the Olympus, but that goes the other way as well. With the current economic climate for photographers, the choice would have been simple. The Olympus setup will almost always be good enough, and it's half the price and half the weight or thereabout. Still, it will probably take time before most established pros see this, but the up-and-coming will, enabling them to travel lighter, getting shots the others can't and still charge less.

When, in a couple of years, there's an E-M2 with even better high ISO and AF-C available plus even more pro level lenses at different lengths, this will look even worse for Canikon. Traditional DSLR technology is very mature, and apart from more megapixels and the ability to shoot in coal mines without flash, most improvements end up in the "nice to have" category.

m4/3 on the other hand didn't even exist until 5 years ago (G1 was launched 12 September 2008) and has developed from a nice hobby outfit to professional photo and video cameras with lenses to match in record time.

If I had any brain at all and wasn't so caught up in "old-machine-nostalgia", I would dump all my Nikon gear tomorrow and go all m4/3. Image and video qualities are good enough by a mile or more, and ergonomics are vastly superior.

Last edited:

Godfrey

If I had any brain at all and wasn't so caught up in "old-machine-nostalgia", I would dump all my Nikon gear tomorrow and go all m4/3. Image and video qualities are good enough by a mile or more, and ergonomics are vastly superior.
I'm with ya there. Between the Robots, the Leicaflex SLs, the Nikon Fs, the 6x6 folders and Hasselblads, and the still-expanding Polaroid collection (yeah, a fourth one was gifted to me recently), it all gets a bit on the confusing side.

I'm due for a big sell off of excess stuff. Maybe I'll get it organized this weekend. It would be nice to pay for the E-M1 that way, put the money back in the bank for travel and other fun. :)

My order's in, I've downloaded the E-M1 Instruction Manual. I expect many hours of studying it in the next several weeks ... I'm no longer concerned with reviews and such. I want to know how it works and how to set it up when it arrives.

Just sent my first query off to Olympus Tech Support: I see in the manual that the VF-3 and VF-4 are listed in the accessory section. I presume that the VF-2 is also compatible, but I'd like confirmation before I plug it in. It will be useful for copy-stand work.

G