The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

Godfrey

Add to that the fact that most m4/3 lenses are designed with software corrections in mind. The 7-14mm is in principle somewhere between a rectilinear WA lens and a fisheye lens, corrected for distortion in-camera, making it easier to design a smaller lens. In addition, most of the original 4/3 lenses are telecentric or close to telecentric, meaning that the light hits the sensor at a right angle. This was, as far as I remember, one of the reasons for choosing a relatively small sensor, since telecentric lenses for larger sensors will become rather large and heavy.

I believe the telecentric design has become less important with modern sensors, but the extremely even sharpness across the frame of the best 4/3 lenses can be attributed to this principle.
Generally speaking on point, but remember that Olympus built lens corrections into their cameras and into their raw conversion software too, even before Micro-FourThirds, all the way back to the E-1! This is quite apparent when you use something like the ZD 35 Macro, which has substantial native barrel distortion that is completely eliminated with corrections turned on for in-camera JPEGs or in Olympus Viewer software.

mFT's innovation was to standardize the lens correction, build it into the lens, and inject it into the raw data so that a properly implemented third party raw converter could also do the lens correction as needed.

There were several factors for the sensor size: cost of manufacture, some assumptions about the maximum necessary pixel density for the target audience, getting the sensor size and lens mount into the right relationship, etc etc. I remember reading the original papers on the design way back when and having my head spin a bit... ;-)

Just for the amusement value:

E-M1 + ZD 11-22 plus grip plus VF-2

I like the VF-2 on top, you have both eye level and lower angle viewing with the benefits of the eye piece, etc. I might actually buy the grip for this one.
Of course, it's also going to be fun fitted with a zone plate or the body cap lens... ;-)

G

Thorkil

....but then its not rather small anymore(!)....yes, a body lens cap seems then rather tempting...
thorkil
(anyone thinking of keeping the e-m5 just for the sake of the size?..perhaps just with the Pana 14-42 PZ on..)

Ocean

Senior Subscriber Member
I bought it two years ago, hoping that a camera like the E-M1 would some day appear :)
This lens will probably increase in value. It's very good (like your Zuiko) and in addition, it has an aperture ring with 1/3 stops that work on (as far as I know) all m4/3 cameras.
I just bought a un-used Leica Vario-Elmarit 14-50mm/2.8-3.5 for $375. I had this lens before with Panasonic L-1 but sold it few years later and regret it ever since. In terms of performance, I like the Leica better zoom compare to Olympus ZD 12-60mm/2.8-4.0. I hope to use Leica zoom as a normal lens on my E-M1, and my old E-1.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The question is: Who will be the first to go all the way. I wonder how this combo balances. It's big on this camera, but it's big on any camera.

Kind of tempting, isn't it?

Godfrey

....but then its not rather small anymore(!)....yes, a body lens cap seems then rather tempting...
thorkil
(anyone thinking of keeping the e-m5 just for the sake of the size?..perhaps just with the Pana 14-42 PZ on..)
Well, small isn't the only criteria for me. But when I want it here are three combinations at my disposal:

I have an E-PL1, picked up for virtually nothing used. Works a treat ... no need to sell it. So there's my "compatible compact." :)

G

Godfrey

The question is: Who will be the first to go all the way. I wonder how this combo balances. It's big on this camera, but it's big on any camera.

Kind of tempting, isn't it?
That is a stunning lens. I rented one once ... Truly superb. But for the amount I use such a long focal length, it's out of my price bracket.

The Leitz Elmarit-R 180/2.8 I paid a pittance for will have to suffice. :)

G

Thorkil

Well, small isn't the only criteria for me. But when I want it here are three combinations at my disposal:

I have an E-PL1, picked up for virtually nothing used. Works a treat ... no need to sell it. So there's my "compatible compact." :)

G
That look like common sense for me.
Leaving a D3 and D800E behind me together with a 14-24 etc. (and then the K-30 and K-5II ) and now using the GR (seldom the GXR) with almost a smile everytime(smile were perhaps bigger with the GRIV, but seems already like another time), it mustn’t feel like a DSLR anymore, so the compromise must be acceptable size combined with sharpnes and very nice microcontrasts (the last has been the struggle for Nikon I think) , so I guess the 12-40 with 84mm in length would be a maximum(although it seems perhaps not so stellar on Cameralab in fullsize pics, or is it just me?), and I’m not good at carry and changing extra and different lenses.
Thorkil

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Thanks, Thorkil :)

That is a stunning lens. I rented one once ... Truly superb. But for the amount I use such a long focal length, it's out of my price bracket.

The Leitz Elmarit-R 180/2.8 I paid a pittance for will have to suffice. :)

G
Out of mine as well, but when I look at the money I save not buying high-end Nikkors, there must be some room for not-needed-but-highly-desirable-glass somewhere :ROTFL:
We'll see.

Godfrey

... it mustn’t feel like a DSLR anymore ...
Well .... any way you cut it, the E-M1 and E-M5 are going to feel like a small DSLR, just like the Panasonic G1 et al do. This is where the GX7 and E-P5 have a different bent to them: their shapes are much more RF camera reminiscent.

If I wanted something other than the DSLR form factor idiom, I'd be more interested in the GX7. I'm still interested in the GX7 because of the form factor difference.

Any fast, pro-quality zoom is going to be large. If you want compact, buy an M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8 and M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8 to go with the GX7 body. Despite the pixel peeping, "this is better than that," and other silliness, that will be a fantastic two-lens kit on a great body. Compact, slick, and lovely to use.

The E-M1 is what I want because I have the 11-22mm and 35mm macro lenses. And other, larger, bulkier lenses for which the larger camera's greater heft and other features are a better match.

G

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Any fast, pro-quality zoom is going to be large. If you want compact, buy an M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8 and M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8 to go with the GX7 body. Despite the pixel peeping, "this is better than that," and other silliness, that will be a fantastic two-lens kit on a great body. Compact, slick, and lovely to use.

G
+1 to that.

The (more or less) 35 + 85mm eqv. combo is so universally useable that I wouldn't hesitate to survive on that only, even if it were to be permanently, if I really had to restrict myself. That is actually my plan for the 35mm format (with D700 + F6) as other Nikon gear wear out.

Thorkil

Well .... any way you cut it, the E-M1 and E-M5 are going to feel like a small DSLR, just like the Panasonic G1 et al do. This is where the GX7 and E-P5 have a different bent to them: their shapes are much more RF camera reminiscent.

If I wanted something other than the DSLR form factor idiom, I'd be more interested in the GX7. I'm still interested in the GX7 because of the form factor difference.

The E-M1 is what I want because I have the 11-22mm and 35mm macro lenses. And other, larger, bulkier lenses for which the larger camera's greater heft and other features are a better match.

G
Thank you Godfrey!
Yes the GX7 seems very attractive size-wise, I would think.
But the way the GX7 handled the Pana 7-14 turned me a bit of, while I would need this lense once in a while in the long run.
But I'm also considering the Words of Rayyan, using his M8 most of the time instead of his M9 (and the wise Words of using what is within the reach of your hands...and not within your dreams, one could ad). And also Jono's word of lately using(/and loving to do so) his M9 for the time being istead of others.
Perhaps a used M8.2 with my CV15, 21Elmarit could do a proper job. But I would need the high ISO's at Work, so back Again.
I'll just keep calm, and wait a bit and use the GR together with GXR-A16 zoom and perhaps the M-module for the CV15 a bit more.
Thorkil

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Tried it. Paid deposit. Arrives in 2 weeks :D

Best ergonomics ever, clearly better than E-M5. Better than the F6 also, and relegates that camera to the second spot of my ranking. Flawless AF-S with the PanaLeica 14-50. I won't be able to perform a proper AF-C test until I get the camera home. I tried the camera with and without the grip. With the grip, I will have no problem with heavy lenses like the 150mm f/2.0. Nikon and Canon have a huge challenge on their hands, when photographers start discovering this piece of apparatus.

cjlacz

Best ergonomics ever, clearly better than E-M5. Better than the F6 also, and relegates that camera to the second spot of my ranking. Flawless AF-S with the PanaLeica 14-50. I won't be able to perform a proper AF-C test until I get the camera home. I tried the camera with and without the grip. With the grip, I will have no problem with heavy lenses like the 150mm f/2.0. Nikon and Canon have a huge challenge on their hands, when photographers start discovering this piece of apparatus.
You guys really aren't helping. I've read the reviews and I know it's good, but after following the posts here for years your endorsements is making this really hard to resist. I wish I got to see the demo here in Tokyo, but I won't have to wait to long to see it in the stores. Time to trade in one of my E-M5s.

Thorkil

hmmm...Jørgen(!) you are spoiling my saved and holy vision... :)
thorkil

Brian Mosley

Good to see my earlier report confirmed. I actually found the additional grip huge - it really makes the small camera into a 4/3rds scale body... should be ideal for the 50-200 and SHG lenses.

Cheers

Brian

dhsimmonds

Am I right in assuming that the Leica 4/3rds lenses will not AF on the new EM1?

I read that the dedicated 4/3 adaptor for the EM1 only "reads" 4/3 Oly lenses.

For an old duffer like me, accurate and fast AF is a must!;)