The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

JYPfoto

Ok, I caved and ordered the Summilux 25mm f/1.4 ...
Eh, it's only money. ;-)

G
You'll love it. Right now I only have this lens plus the 4/3 35mm f/3.5 macro that I picked up on eBay while awaiting the Oly zoom, but the PL25 is the only prime that I need right now and I'm comfortable with the FL and the IQ.

JMaher

I am traveling and had a chance to try the Em-1 with a variety of lenses at Glaziers in Seattle. Looks and feels great - better even than I expected.

Jim

marlof

Re: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.84

Ok, I caved and ordered the Summilux 25mm f/1.4
Congratulations. It is my favorite in my m43 lineup (12,17,20,25,45,12-50,14-140 I,75-300 II). I like everything about it, except the huge lenshood and the chattering sound on Olympus bodies when going from very bright to dark. That doesn't bother me enough to not use it.

On the travel zooms: when I had both the 14-150 and the 14-140, the latter was without a doubt sharper than the 14-150. Especially the corners of the 14-150 were very soft in my copy. That said: I've seen evidence of it being the other way round with other people. Sample variation at work I think. Maybe I should get the 14-150 again. After all, that 14-140 seems glued to the GH2 my son inherited from me and I no longer have a Panasonic camera body. And on the Olympus bodies, I much preferred the handling of the 14-150.

jlm

Workshop Member
camera showed up, i may have gotten one of the first. from Berger bros in Syossett, NY want to give them a good recommendation.

no time to play with it yet

jonoslack

camera showed up, i may have gotten one of the first. from Berger bros in Syossett, NY want to give them a good recommendation.

no time to play with it yet
HI John
None in the UK yet I'm afraid :cry:
Was it just the camera body?

all the body?

all the best

jonoslack

On the travel zooms: when I had both the 14-150 and the 14-140, the latter was without a doubt sharper than the 14-150. Especially the corners of the 14-150 were very soft in my copy. That said: I've seen evidence of it being the other way round with other people. Sample variation at work I think. Maybe I should get the 14-150 again. After all, that 14-140 seems glued to the GH2 my son inherited from me and I no longer have a Panasonic camera body. And on the Olympus bodies, I much preferred the handling of the 14-150.
I love my 14-150, it's so small and neat and it focuses so close, and I have to say that I've never noticed it not being sharp enough. seems great to me (maybe I'm lucky) certainly better than my 75-300 version I.

All the best

Godfrey

re: Summilux 25

Thanks all y'all ... :)

I had the Summilux' big brother for FourThirds SLRs, it was my most-used lens. It'll be nice to have this one for the new body, probably will be my most used lens.

G

Peter Klein

You'll like it, Godfrey. When I'm using primes, it's what's on my E-M5 most of the time. It does have some barrel distortion, which the camera fixes in JPG, and most of the good raw processors can deal with. Apart from that, it's just a fast, nice-drawing lens.

dhsimmonds

I love my 14-150, it's so small and neat and it focuses so close, and I have to say that I've never noticed it not being sharp enough. seems great to me (maybe I'm lucky) certainly better than my 75-300 version I.
I agree Jono, I have a 14-150 on one of my EM5's only changing it for either the 9-18 or the 60 macro. The other body has either the Panny 100-300 or the mZuiko 75-300 mk2 but I find the 75-300 slower to focus and less sharp than the 100-300. I am hoping that the focusing of this lens will improve both in time and on the new EM1 body.

I tried the EM1 for the first time in Southampton yesterday and I had great difficulty in handing it back!! It is a lovely handling camera with a virtually identical menu system to the EM5 with just HDR and time lapse added as far as I could work out in the time I had with the camera. The viewfinder is absolutely gorgeous, big and adjustably bright.

However the button layout is more logical and more of 'em! I particularly like the AEL focus lock button easily within right thumb reach, very much reminding me of a much smaller, lighter and much less expensive Leica S2!!

The built in hand grip is delightful and it is a really comfortable camera to hold, certainly with the new 12-40 F2.8 lens which was on it during my time with it. This should auger well for use with longer reach lenses as the 12-40 is quite a heavy lens containing a large amount of glass!

I tried to snaffle it, but I didn't succeed! The lovely Olympus rep did say that her own EM1 was required in Germany next week, so she would have to let this one go, which upset her more than just a bit.

So, at the moment, the EM1 is rarer than a hens tooth here in the UK!

I did learn that delivery is still expected mid-October and this should satisfy the pre-orders via Olympus Premier dealers, so fingers crossed.

jonoslack

HI Dave
Thanks for the information - I missed out on going up to see it at Norwich yesterday, I'm saving up the pleasure for when it's released!

I can't wait.

Godfrey

Beyond the "fun with ..." image thread, which I can only look in on and enjoy the pix until my camera arrives, more serious equipment issues:

I wonder who will be the first to ship a quality camera plate and HLD7 plate for the Arca Swiss tripod clamps?

Yes, Virginia, I use a tripod often. ;-)

G

Godfrey

I wonder who will be the first to ship a quality camera plate and HLD7 plate for the Arca Swiss tripod clamps?
I wrote Acratech, Kirk Photo, and Really Right Stuff.

So far, Kirk Photo says they don't have any plans, Acratech hasn't yet responded, and RRS says they plan to, but they haven't gotten started yet. However, once they have a camera in hand, they expect it will take six to eight weeks to reach production.

Godfrey

Godfrey

You'll like it, Godfrey. When I'm using primes, it's what's on my E-M5 most of the time. It does have some barrel distortion, which the camera fixes in JPG, and most of the good raw processors can deal with. Apart from that, it's just a fast, nice-drawing lens.
The Summilux arrived today. As a quick test, lacking the E-M1 as yet, I fitted it to the E-PL1.

Hmm. It sure does click and clack a lot. The iris is constantly chick-chick-chick-ing around as it focuses. Does it do that on your E-M5?

My test exposures look beautiful, it is optically all that its supposed to be, but I don't recall all that chattering about when I tested it last. But that was on a Panasonic body ... I'd heard some complaints about it on the Olympus bodies. Even in manual focus it is constantly chattering, and it's loud.

Frankly, if it does this on the E-M5 or E-M1, I suspect I'll return it. That chattering about would drive me mad and spoil my quiet photographic moments. The Olympus ZD 25, fitted to the E-PL1, does a bit more searching when focusing than the Summilux but is otherwise quiet. If that kind of busy chattering is the price of using the Summilux, well, I might prefer the Voigtländer Nokton 25/0.95 or the Olympus M.Zuiko 17/1.8.

G