The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

Godfrey

I posted about the Summilux "chit-chit" noise to the DPR mFT forum. One of the folks there said there is an option in some of the latest Olympus bodies to turn off the "flicker reduction" feature, which has the side effect of stopping the "chit-chit" "chit-chit" behavior of the Summilux-DG.

The E-M1 has this option, the E-M5 does not. Perhaps it will work out.

I was fooling with it on the E-PL1 again. I tell you, I will not keep this lens if there's no way to stop the noise. It would drive me batty. What a dumb thing to get in the way of a fine lens! :-|

G

Annna T

I posted about the Summilux "chit-chit" noise to the DPR mFT forum. One of the folks there said there is an option in some of the latest Olympus bodies to turn off the "flicker reduction" feature, which has the side effect of stopping the "chit-chit" "chit-chit" behavior of the Summilux-DG.

The E-M1 has this option, the E-M5 does not. Perhaps it will work out.

I was fooling with it on the E-PL1 again. I tell you, I will not keep this lens if there's no way to stop the noise. It would drive me batty. What a dumb thing to get in the way of a fine lens! :-|

G
I have used that lens both on the E-P3 and E-M5 and the shattering is there on both bodies. However you hear it only when the light conditions are changing. It never bothered me. When it starts, I just point the lens toward the ground or even put the hand over the lens to block the light and thus the shatter. Or I shut the camera down : this helps saving battery life as well. So, really not a problem for me (but then I'm not a video shooter).

I love that lens and I ended up loving the shattering too. Its whispering keeps me company :) like a good friend.