Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 242

Thread: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

  1. #1
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,347
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157
    Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

  2. #2
    Senior Member Mike Woods's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Bristol, UK
    Posts
    1,473
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

    Yummy. Bad timing for me, but yummy!

    Mike

  3. #3
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Knorp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,003
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

    Looking good, looking very good
    Bart ...

  4. #4
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,874
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

    Looks very good and just comes right time for me!

    I am on the fence for getting solely into M43 while getting out of Fuji X. And also skip any APSC cameras from CaNikon and others, as the reals size and quality advantage is there with M43 - however you choose, either EM1, EP5 or even GX7.

    I missed soooo many shots with my Fuji X Pro 1 because of slow and unresponsive AF, also with all FW upgrades available. I never missed any shot because of that with my OMD. Plus when comparing XPro1, OMD and Pentax K5IIs IQ, I cannot help but overall like IQ from OMD best.

    So I expect at least same IQ from EM1 and together with the new lens (and hopefully other similar lenses to come from Olympus) they will be back in the highest ranks of digital photography.

    For me M43 finally now seems to have matured
    Life is an ever changing journey
    http://photography.tomsu.eu/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/peter_...tography/sets/
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  5. #5
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Knorp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,003
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

    Well, my K5IIs tops my E-M5 by a whisker, they are really close but I think the Pentax has the edge.
    So I'm looking forward to see what this E-M1 can do.

    Kind regards.
    Bart ...
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  6. #6
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,874
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

    Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    Well, my K5IIs tops my E-M5 by a whisker, they are really close but I think the Pentax has the edge.
    So I'm looking forward to see what this E-M1 can do.

    Kind regards.
    Maybe the K5IIs wins the IQ race slightly if everything else is perfect (AF, WB, exposure etc.) but usually I found the OMD being most times more accurate in these disciplines and so OMD tops IQ IMHO.

    Maybe it is only the way I operate the camera or shoot, but finally this is what I can get out easily and this is what matters most for me.

    Having said that the K5IIs is a great camera and Pentax lenses are superb.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    West Chester, PA
    Posts
    199
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

    One thing I saw that is rather interesting is the HDR label on the knob on the left side of the pentaprism. I wonder if they now have built in HDR as seen in some other DSLR's (Canon 5D mark3 for example). I am probably more interested in the lens though. I can't wait to see comparisons to the Panasonic 12-35mm. The Panasonic is very good, so the comparison will be interesting.

  8. #8
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    etrigan63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Earth, Sol System (near Miami, FL)
    Posts
    2,501
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

    Hopefully the continuous focus AF will benefit from the on-sensor PDAF. A real test will be to focus on fast moving objects in low light (dancers). Improved high-ISO performance would be a plus.

    The Oly 35-100mm f/2.0 lens looks to be right up my dance alley assuming that the PDAF continuous tracking is any good.
    Last edited by etrigan63; 24th August 2013 at 19:11.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  9. #9
    Senior Member Brian Mosley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,394
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    17

    Re: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

    I'm interested in the electronic shutter... could be the 'revolutionary' bit.

    The extra room provided by the grip should help the feel too. Can't wait to try this with my Hexanon 57mm f1.2... hopefully we can have focus peaking at last (come on, let's have the E-M5 firmware update with it!)

    Brian
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  10. #10
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    etrigan63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Earth, Sol System (near Miami, FL)
    Posts
    2,501
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

    Rumor mills also expect a 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO lens to be announced as well!
    Splendid days! (playing too much Candy Crush)
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  11. #11
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,933
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

    lookin' nice. :-)

    G

  12. #12
    Senior Member Brian Mosley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,394
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    17

    Re: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

    Yes, good timing for me... I held off the Lumix 12-35/35-100 and these two lenses have great potential.

    Still haven't given my latest purchase any decent exercise yet... so no rush here

    Brian

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,173
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

    After using the OMD for 6 months hoping to replace my DSLR, I am selling it and getting the 5D2 back. The tiny shutter lag, the latency in the EVF, the half second delay in playback, slow lenses, just dont' cut it for me. I love the size but after the zoom lens (I have the pancake zoom too but hate the electronic zoom) it is pretty big.

    It feels almost liberating when I picked up another canon's ungainly body. Reminds me of what I've been missing.

  14. #14
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

    Well. The OMD already makes a grand companion to my Leica ff kit. This looks like 43 finally coming of age. I'll be joining the Q

    Just this guy you know

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    EU
    Posts
    325
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

    Both the camera body and the lens sound brilliant. However, I'm a little worried about the size and weight. For me, the whole concept of m43 is about a great compromise between size and IQ. When the body and lens size start approaching APS-C DSLR territory, I start questioning the point. Even the 12-50mm kit zoom is a little long for my taste physically. And now this.

  16. #16
    Senior Member dhsimmonds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hampshire, UK
    Posts
    904
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    20

    Re: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

    Quote Originally Posted by emr View Post
    Both the camera body and the lens sound brilliant. However, I'm a little worried about the size and weight. For me, the whole concept of m43 is about a great compromise between size and IQ. When the body and lens size start approaching APS-C DSLR territory, I start questioning the point. Even the 12-50mm kit zoom is a little long for my taste physically. And now this.
    Ah, I guess that you are not a serious natural history photographer then!
    Believe me, the OMD with either the mZuiko 75-300 or Panny G 100-300 on is a whole lot smaller and lighter than the equivalent FF or APS-C DSLR!!

    With my old Sony A77 or A900 with Sony 75-400 lens or Sigma 150-500 lens I needed a body harness system to support both bulk and weight.

    With the OMD's I can take two with me for all day shoots both suspended around my neck. One fitted with a long zoom, usually the heavier Panny 100-300, the other with a mZuiko 14-150. The IBIS works perfectly for long focal lengths, so I get sharper shots than with my old DSLR set up and I don't get tired.

    By the way I will never see 73 again either!

    So what will this new Oy OMD give me.... hopefully dual PDAF/Contrast AF which will allow me to get fast action, which contrast detect on it's own just can't get or if I am lucky perhaps once in a hundred shots!!
    Cheers, Dave
    www.simmondsphotography.com
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    EU
    Posts
    325
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

    Quote Originally Posted by dhsimmonds View Post
    Believe me, the OMD with either the mZuiko 75-300 or Panny G 100-300 on is a whole lot smaller and lighter than the equivalent FF or APS-C DSLR!!
    I use both an E-M5 and a Pentax K-5 and while the m43 is smaller and lighter, I don't think there's a night and day difference.

    Admittedly, I got the tennis elbow carrying the K-5 wrist-wrapped for a long weekend last year. Haven't tried if that would happen with the E-M5.

  18. #18
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,347
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

    Quote Originally Posted by emr View Post
    I use both an E-M5 and a Pentax K-5 and while the m43 is smaller and lighter, I don't think there's a night and day difference.

    Admittedly, I got the tennis elbow carrying the K-5 wrist-wrapped for a long weekend last year. Haven't tried if that would happen with the E-M5.
    The K-5 is the only DSLR that is close to competing with m4/3 when it comes to size and weight. I shoot Nikon, and when considering Nikon camera bodies and and lenses with similar qualities to what I have in m4/3, there's no competition whatsoever.

    I have consider changing my m4/3 gear for a Pentax kit though...

  19. #19
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,874
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

    Hm.... WRT size and weight:

    I am using the EM5 with kit zoom and some primes (Leica 25, Oly 45 and 17 etc) as well as the K5 with 18-135. I must say that there is a significant size difference (and also some weight difference but not as much). I would say WRT seize & weight m43 clearly wins. If it comes to ease of handling and overall usage experience, for me the K5 is the clear winner.

    So how will that spoil down to the expected EM1 and 12-40 and rumored 40-150 2.8 lenses? Cannot say but I believe even there the m43 will be lighter and smaller - would say the clear winner if easier carrying is the preferred thing.

    If it comes to haptics and overall handling I still believe I would prefer the K5 with lenses. Actually some fast Pentax Limited primes (15, 21, 35, 43, 70 or 77) paired with a 4/16-45 and 4-5.8/55-300 will give a pretty much great flexible set with a final range from 23 - 450 (in FF terms) with reasonable high speed. And DOF will for sure be equal or better with Pentax APSC compared to m43 (see attached images).

    On paper m43 will have the advantage of more reach with less weight if using the Oly 75-300, but again DOF will not be as good. So all is pretty on par finally. And depends if one prefers OVF or EVF end of the day. Currently it looks that I am preferring Pentax

    All 3 shots with Pentax K5IIs and the "cheap" 18-135 wide open at 135 (equals 200mm in FF terms) - actually what a wonderful system
    Life is an ever changing journey
    http://photography.tomsu.eu/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/peter_...tography/sets/
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    EU
    Posts
    325
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    I have consider changing my m4/3 gear for a Pentax kit though...
    When I recently shot my daughters' party, I used the E-M5 and not the K-5 because the Olympus contrast detect AF is so much more accurate than the notorious K-5 AF which is more a hit and miss business. But ergonomically there's no question which is better: Pentax.

  21. #21
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,874
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

    Quote Originally Posted by emr View Post
    When I recently shot my daughters' party, I used the E-M5 and not the K-5 because the Olympus contrast detect AF is so much more accurate than the notorious K-5 AF which is more a hit and miss business. But ergonomically there's no question which is better: Pentax.
    Well, the new SAFOX X in the K5II and K5IIs is night and day compared to the old AF module of the K5, which performed as bad that I finally sold the K5. The New AF module is not only more accurate and faster, it works also down to -3EV, which is hardly to be found in many cameras. And the "only" 11 AF points turn out to be pretty enough, especially as they also allow decent continuous AF of moving subjects. There are faster AF systems today (Nikon, Canon) but hardly to be found in m43 like EM5, which has one of the fastest m43 AF systems. Maybe the new EM1 will be able to top that.

    But as of state of today I am pretty satisfied withe the K5II and K5IIs AF performance and the EM1 would need to be a lot improved over the EM5, so that I would give it a try just because of AF.

  22. #22
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,933
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

    Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    ... There are faster AF systems today (Nikon, Canon) but hardly to be found in m43 like EM5, which has one of the fastest m43 AF systems. Maybe the new EM1 will be able to top that. ...
    It's hard to make a judgement until the camera ships. I expect the E-M1 AF system will be completely different from the E-M5 courtesy its new sensor with PDAF on chip, a first for Micro-FourThirds I believe.

    The funny thing for me, tho, is that I hardly use AF for anything fast moving. I only use it as a convenience on easy to lock in subjects when shooting casually ... Accuracy is much more important to me than speed. Even the E-1 system, with only three AF sensor points, seems to work fast enough in most lighting to fulfill my desires. Otherwise I prefer manually focusing my lenses. :-)

    G

  23. #23
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,874
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    It's hard to make a judgement until the camera ships. I expect the E-M1 AF system will be completely different from the E-M5 courtesy its new sensor with PDAF on chip, a first for Micro-FourThirds I believe.

    The funny thing for me, tho, is that I hardly use AF for anything fast moving. I only use it as a convenience on easy to lock in subjects when shooting casually ... Accuracy is much more important to me than speed. Even the E-1 system, with only three AF sensor points, seems to work fast enough in most lighting to fulfill my desires. Otherwise I prefer manually focusing my lenses. :-)

    G
    But also for manually focusing the current Pentax system seems to be superior to any m43 available IMHO - at least for me as there is a real mirror.

    Also for me the current AF speed of the EM5 and the K5IIs are sufficient. I very seldom miss the AF of my D800E

    What really counts for me how easy a camera overall is to handle. And here the K5IIs is the clear winner so far. Maybe with the new EM1 it will become a different story - there is hope

    Peter

  24. #24
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,933
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

    Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    But also for manually focusing the current Pentax system seems to be superior to any m43 available IMHO - at least for me as there is a real mirror.

    Also for me the current AF speed of the EM5 and the K5IIs are sufficient. I very seldom miss the AF of my D800E

    What really counts for me how easy a camera overall is to handle. And here the K5IIs is the clear winner so far. Maybe with the new EM1 it will become a different story - there is hope
    Goes to show how different people are. I find even the old Panasonic G1 far far easier to focus then any Pentax APS-C DSLR. And the handling feel of the Pentax K5 does nothing for me at all .. Feels unbalanced, blocky, with switches in the wrong places.

    No one camera will make everyone smile. :-)

    G

  25. #25
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,874
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Goes to show how different people are. I find even the old Panasonic G1 far far easier to focus then any Pentax APS-C DSLR. And the handling feel of the Pentax K5 does nothing for me at all .. Feels unbalanced, blocky, with switches in the wrong places.

    No one camera will make everyone smile. :-)

    G
    This is really interesting. I never could love my GH2 and other Panasonic m43 cameras ergonomics.

    People are obviously different

  26. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    A bit north of Copenhagen
    Posts
    1,522
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    569

    Re: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    I have consider changing my m4/3 gear for a Pentax kit though...
    And I'm considering going from Pentax K-5II to the E-M1
    But I miss the Nikon matrix metering a lot where I got spot on light 99% of the time, and you could turn around and just fire away (but pictures were often somehow a bit dull in appearence), but even a D600 is awfull big and intruding.
    Thorkil

  27. #27
    Senior Member dhsimmonds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hampshire, UK
    Posts
    904
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    20

    Re: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

    I have just read one of the numerous rumour sites which indicated that phase detect AF would only be available for Zuiko 4/3 lenses which are designed for Phase detect AF. http://www.echenique.com/?p=2172

    If this is right then users of mZuiko lenses will be no better off!

    Very early days yet, but at the moment that would be a show stopper for me!

    If I had to buy 4/3 lenses which would put the bulk and weight of my gear up just to more easily get action shots, then I would seriously consider going back to a DSLR instead. There are some very good smaller DSLR's around now which are cheaper than this new Oly!
    Last edited by dhsimmonds; 30th August 2013 at 01:01. Reason: Added internet link
    Cheers, Dave
    www.simmondsphotography.com

  28. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    A bit north of Copenhagen
    Posts
    1,522
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    569

    Re: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

    Quote Originally Posted by dhsimmonds View Post
    There are some very good smaller DSLR's around now which are cheaper than this new Oly!
    Yes, perhaps is this new Sony to consider together with the Zeiss
    19 picture`s A3000 & ZEISS16-70 F4 - Dyxum forums - Page 1
    Thorkil

  29. #29
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    10
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    The K-5 is the only DSLR that is close to competing with m4/3 when it comes to size and weight. I shoot Nikon, and when considering Nikon camera bodies and and lenses with similar qualities to what I have in m4/3, there's no competition whatsoever.

    I have consider changing my m4/3 gear for a Pentax kit though...
    Now this is an unexpectedly interesting thread... I have been on the fence for weeks, trying to decide whether to upgrade my K7 to a first generation K5 + 18-135 (found a deal for €730 for the combo!) or go for a OM-D... and still haven't made up my mind... stick with the slightly unreliable AF but with a good and know body, or improve the AF and make a leap of faith on ergonomics (never handled an OM-D before)?

  30. #30
    Member Craftysnapper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    218
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2

    Re: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    The K-5 is the only DSLR that is close to competing with m4/3 when it comes to size and weight. I shoot Nikon, and when considering Nikon camera bodies and and lenses with similar qualities to what I have in m4/3, there's no competition whatsoever.

    I have consider changing my m4/3 gear for a Pentax kit though...
    You are joking aren't you Jorgen!

    Canon 100D 407 gms and small, lenses not so much

    OM-D E-M5 425 gms and smaller

    Pentax K-30 650 gms and not so small

    Pentax K-5 670 gms and not so small
    Regards Paul. One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am.
    My Photo Galleries
    My Flickr Photostream

  31. #31
    Senior Member Brian Mosley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,394
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    17

    Re: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

    Quote Originally Posted by simort View Post
    Now this is an unexpectedly interesting thread... I have been on the fence for weeks, trying to decide whether to upgrade my K7 to a first generation K5 + 18-135 (found a deal for €730 for the combo!) or go for a OM-D... and still haven't made up my mind... stick with the slightly unreliable AF but with a good and know body, or improve the AF and make a leap of faith on ergonomics (never handled an OM-D before)?
    I wouldn't recommend taking a 'leap of faith' on ergonomics - make sure you handle the E-M5 and E-M1 before making a decision.

    Personally, I'll keep my E-M5 and add the E-M1 when it becomes available.

    Cheers

    Brian
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  32. #32
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,347
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

    Quote Originally Posted by Craftysnapper View Post
    You are joking aren't you Jorgen!

    Canon 100D 407 gms and small, lenses not so much

    OM-D E-M5 425 gms and smaller

    Pentax K-30 650 gms and not so small

    Pentax K-5 670 gms and not so small
    I prefer cameras that don't have a pinhole for a viewfinder
    If I didn't, I would have bought a D5200 long ago.
    Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  33. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    A bit north of Copenhagen
    Posts
    1,522
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    569

  34. #34
    Senior Member Brian Mosley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,394
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    17

    Re: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

    Constant f2.8 aperture. Veeeery nice.

    It will be hard to hold back on this one... but considering the brand new sensor, new focusing mechanism, electronic shutter - there will be plenty of scope for teething problems

    Still, I think I'm ready to take the lead on this one!

    Brian

  35. #35
    Senior Member ggibson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    743
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

    Electronic shutter? Haven't heard that rumor yet (so far only in Panasonic models).

    I wasn't a fan of the look in the original leaked images, but the official images show a more balanced design. The grip still looks kind of glued-on to me though. But if it works ergonomically, that's all that matters.

  36. #36
    Senior Member Brian Mosley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,394
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    17

    Re: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

    Latest rumour suggests HDR function will make use of an electronic shutter - I think it's likely.

    Cheers

    Brian

  37. #37
    Senior Member kweide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,631
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

    Lots of buttons... thats what i like ....
    __________________________________________________
    Part of the Wonderland
    see more ( NSFW ) on : http://www.klaweide.de

  38. #38
    New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    RI
    Posts
    9
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

    Quote Originally Posted by dhsimmonds View Post
    I have just read one of the numerous rumour sites which indicated that phase detect AF would only be available for Zuiko 4/3 lenses which are designed for Phase detect AF. Leaked Specs and Photos of the Olympus OM-D E-M1 » Echenique dot com

    If this is right then users of mZuiko lenses will be no better off!

    Very early days yet, but at the moment that would be a show stopper for me!

    If I had to buy 4/3 lenses which would put the bulk and weight of my gear up just to more easily get action shots, then I would seriously consider going back to a DSLR instead. There are some very good smaller DSLR's around now which are cheaper than this new Oly!
    Last I've read, and who will really know until it's been released and folks have had a chance to test it, is that PDAF would be active in continuous autofocus with all lenses and that the camera would use pdaf with Zuiko lenses and cdaf with native m43 lenses. It'll be interesting to see how well this camera works with the standard 43 lenses and how well it does CAF tracking.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  39. #39
    Senior Member ggibson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    743
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

    Ouch, video specs are posted on 43rumors as limited to 30p. No 24p or even 25p for PAL seems just silly. It's too bad because the 5-axis IS does a great job stabilizing video.

  40. #40
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,933
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

    Quote Originally Posted by ggibson View Post
    Ouch, video specs are posted on 43rumors as limited to 30p. No 24p or even 25p for PAL seems just silly. It's too bad because the 5-axis IS does a great job stabilizing video.
    No big issue for me. I use the iPhone 4S for video capture ... that's the limit of my video foo. :-)

    G

  41. #41
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,347
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

    Quote Originally Posted by ggibson View Post
    Ouch, video specs are posted on 43rumors as limited to 30p. No 24p or even 25p for PAL seems just silly. It's too bad because the 5-axis IS does a great job stabilizing video.
    Olympus for photos, Panasonic for video. They work well as backup for each other
    Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  42. #42
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,933
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Olympus for photos, Panasonic for video. They work well as backup for each other
    Sadly, for my financial well-being anyway, that's a perfect justification to be buying both a GX7 or GH3, and an E-M1. =8-0

    G
    Last edited by Godfrey; 3rd September 2013 at 23:34.

  43. #43
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,347
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Sadly, for my financial well-being anyway, that's a perfect justification to buy buying both a GX7 or GH3, and an E-M1. =8-0

    G
    Same here. Will probably be the GX7 due to the small form factor and IBIS

  44. #44
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,874
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

    I do not care much about video, so the EM1 video capabilities should be enough. The photographic part of the EM1 for my use seems to be far better than any other M43 camera, so I guess I will be able to survive with the EM1 alone.

    Actually after many experiences with great cameras and systems (Pentax, Fuji, etc) I will give the EM1 (plus my old EM5) and m43 a try as my main camera system and only keep the D800E and some selected lenses for really demanding and high resolution work. At least I will try

  45. #45
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,933
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

    Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    I do not care much about video, so the EM1 video capabilities should be enough. The photographic part of the EM1 for my use seems to be far better than any other M43 camera, so I guess I will be able to survive with the EM1 alone.

    Actually after many experiences with great cameras and systems (Pentax, Fuji, etc) I will give the EM1 (plus my old EM5) and m43 a try as my main camera system and only keep the D800E and some selected lenses for really demanding and high resolution work. At least I will try
    I'm drawn to the shape, seeming simplicity, and form factor of the GX7. But the biggest factor between the two cameras is going to be how well either works with my ZD 11-22/2.8-3.5 lens. It's for that lens that I've kept an eye on FourThirds and Micro-FourThirds. If the GX7 drives the 11-22 AF nicely, it's going to be a hot contender, but I suspect that it's a near-given that the E-M1 will work even better with it.

    It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

    G

  46. #46
    Senior Member dhsimmonds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hampshire, UK
    Posts
    904
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    20

    Re: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

    Not long to wait now. Tuesday 10th September here in the UK it will be launched with local presentations in Olympus dealers throughout the following two weeks.

    My local dealer has an Oly EM1 day on 28th September and is hopeful of having stock at that time.
    Cheers, Dave
    www.simmondsphotography.com

  47. #47
    Senior Member Brian Mosley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,394
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    17

    Re: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    I'm drawn to the shape, seeming simplicity, and form factor of the GX7. But the biggest factor between the two camerasThe is going to be how well either works with my ZD 11-22/2.8-3.5 lens. It's for that lens that I've kept an eye on FourThirds and Micro-FourThirds. If the GX7 drives the 11-22 AF nicely, it's going to be a hot contender, but I suspect that it's a near-given that the E-M1 will work even better with it.

    It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

    G
    Interesting that you are so attached to the 11-22 that you consider native 4/3rds lens support the biggest factor between the two cameras.

    I sold my 11-22 when the mZD 9-18 came out, and the Lumix 7-14 is also a strong performer. Even the ZD 12-60 could be challenged by this new 12-40mm f2.8 pro lens for m4/3rds (please Olympus, more like 45mm f1.8 and 75mm f1.8 in terms of image quality)

    I can't wait to try both cameras, and see which feels the best fit - Panasonic certainly got the form factor right - but I love Olympus kit.

    Cheers

    Brian

  48. #48
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,347
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

    I'm 100% with Godfrey with regards to the 11-22 (which I regrettably sold). It covers four important, classic focal lengths for me, 21, 28, 35 and 50mm (compressed to 22, 28, 35 and 44mm, but still).

  49. #49
    Senior Member Brian Mosley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,394
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    17

    Re: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

    I would rate the ZD 50-200mm f2.8-3.5 and ZD 50mm f2 as more important lenses which would drive one towards the E-M1.

    While a wonderful lens, the 11-22mm range has been covered by the mZD 9-18 for me, and the mZD 12-40 f2.8 will be an extremely flexible range too.

    Cheers

    Brian

  50. #50
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,933
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Mosley View Post
    I would rate the ZD 50-200mm f2.8-3.5 and ZD 50mm f2 as more important lenses which would drive one towards the E-M1.

    While a wonderful lens, the 11-22mm range has been covered by the mZD 9-18 for me, and the mZD 12-40 f2.8 will be an extremely flexible range too.
    The 50 Macro is another special lens, but I generally found when I had both that I used the 35 Macro far more. I had a 50-200, good performer but bulky and heavy. I didn't use it enough, so I sold it. I'm not a big zoom guy. I prefer to adapt nice primes in the 50-180 mm range ... just got a nice bunch of Leica R lenses that will do this marvelously.

    The "normal" zooms have never appealed to me. The 12-60 always felt unbalanced and I didn't like the wave-shaped rectilinear distortion at the wide end. I'd rather have a Summilux or Voigtländer 25 and the 35 Macro in that range.

    The 11-22 is special ... comparing its rendering and performance against the 9-18, it produces results more to my liking. Astonishing resolution, virtually no rectilinear distortion once past 16mm, and even below that it's all simple, spherical distortion that's easy to deal with. And weathersealed, solid, precise. ;-)

    Different strokes. For me, the 11-22 and 35 Macro are 90% of what I use. Add a Summicron-R 50 and 90 for a bit more reach, add a fast wide (17/1.8) or normal (25/1.4) prime: that's my whole kit.

    G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •