Site Sponsors

Thread: OK I don't have a G1 and expensive leica lenses...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

OK I don't have a G1 and expensive leica lenses...

but I do have a Oly 510 ... and the spending habits of a true scotsman... There are lenses out there that give great results for little outlay...

share your shots of your dime store lenses.... those forgotten classics that with cheap adaptor might make you look at the world in a different way...

here are a few from me... not saying they are the best you can take.. but i took them because I had that lens on the camera... if you get what i mean

OM 50/1.8 - 30 euros

Nikkor 28/3.5 - 80 euros

Sigmatel 135/1.8 - 100 euros

Happy new year

Kevin
    Last edited by kevinparis; 30th September 2009 at 23:56.

Ranger 9

Re: OK I don't have a G1 and expensive leica lenses...

Sorry, I never paid much attention to Four Thirds until Micro came along, so I don't know much about it. Are these 35mm-SLR lenses that you're mounting on your Four Thirds camera via some kind of commercially available adapter?

What's got a lot of us interested in Micro Four Thirds is that since there's no mirror and the body can be thinner, that leaves enough room to create adapters for lots of crazy lenses that currently are hard or impossible to use on a current-tech digital camera.

But it's obvious from your shots that there's a lot of potential in regular Four Thirds as long as you're using lenses with enough back focus. Maybe this is well-trodden ground for everyone else here, but I'd be interested in a brief description of how you're using these lenses on your camera and what kinds of compromises or inconveniences are involved.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

hi there

the basic deal is that there are third party adapters for the olympus and panansonic regular 4/3 cameras. As the flange distance is similar to classic SLR's and the throat or width of hole in the front is large enough then you can attach all sorts of lenses to your camera.

I have adaptors for Olympus OM and Nikon... they cost about 30 bucks... and attach to the lens to make it fit the body.. you can quickly move these adaptors from one lens to another. There are adaptors for Leica R, Contax/Yashica, Pentax and others... so there is a worls of neglected lens out there you can use ... orr you can spend more money and experience 'classic' lenses from oter systems

the down side is that
    1) there is obviously no auto focus you have to focus manually
    2) Basically have to set you camera on A for aperture priority, open the f stop up to focus if needed, then stop down before shooting

on the plus side.. with the olympus 510/520/e3/e30 you can set the image stabalisation to work with these lenses.

hope this helps

K

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Essentially, 4/3 = µ4/3 + Panasonic DMW-MA1

Anything you can fit on a 4/3 will work on µ4/3 if you have the DMW-MA1.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

This will be a cool thread. I'll be using some dime store lenses like the Rokkor-X 45/2 ($12) and Zeiss Jena Tessar 50/2.8 ($20)

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Kevin,
    That ashtray is just perfect. Maybe I should start smoking again..... or would it be sufficient just to buy an Olympus? I miss my E-1

How do you find focusing manually with the E-510?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

thanks Jorgen...

focusing on the 510 manually is a bit hit or miss.. kinda miss the split prism thing you had in old slrs

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    How do you find focusing manually with the E-510?
    Hi Jorgen,

you just hit the nail on the head - no other camera can compete with the G1, imho for use with cheap legacy lenses.

The E-510/E-520, E-30 and E-3 all offer in-body IS for legacy lenses which is extremely useful imho - and actually the E-520 is much better weighted for use with heavy legacy lenses, but without ELVIS, focusing is too difficult.

Kind Regards

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kevinparis View Post
    thanks Jorgen...

focusing on the 510 manually is a bit hit or miss.. kinda miss the split prism thing you had in old slrs
    I had a split image/microprism collar (Katz Eye) installed on an E-410 and it was better, but still hit or miss. I recall shooting an indoor birthday party with the OM 24/2 on that camera and probably had the focus where I wanted it 60-70% of the time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

amin

thats interesting to know you can fit other screens.. i may look into that

Post Thanks / Like

Here's one with the inexpensive ($60-$175 depending on condition) Vivitar 135mm f/2.3 adapted to the E-410:

Post Thanks / Like

Impressive....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just Outstanding that ashtray shot Mr. K ...
    Tell the missus that I also LOVED her most recent hand /smoke shot & the bar shot...Just Divine her zeiss sonnar & your OM 50 1.8

Drinks & Smoke.... Very Europe.... Atmospheric B&W Noir

Best to Y'all- H

Post Thanks / Like

I have adaptors for Olympus OM and Nikon... they cost about 30 bucks...
    I have been looking at adapters here in Japan (all made by Rayqual) and they are all around $150. Where did you find adapters for $30? I'd definitely buy a few at that price.

Bill

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Check the sticky (http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4612), section 2 has plenty of inexpensive 4/3 adapter options.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I picked my adaptors up at a camera fair here in France - but a search on ebay should reveal some more. I just typed in "Olympus Adaptor" and found a whole bunch.

Maybe others here will have further reccomendations

They are not complex bits of metal - at 150 dollars then somebody is making an awful lot of profit!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The Nikon adapter was around $27.00 from Fotoiox.
    V/r John

Ranger 9

They are not complex bits of metal - at 150 dollars then somebody is making an awful lot of profit!!!
    It would be interesting to hear what John Milich might have to say about that...

Anyway, the cost of making stuff out of metal always comes down to volume because the tooling cost is high. If you're sure you can sell 100,000 units, that cost gets spread out and the unit price can be low. But if you can only sell 100 units, each unit is going to be a lot more expensive.

If M43 causes Four Thirds to really take off and lots of people show interest in using wacky older lenses with it, then the Chinese OEMs will get involved and you'll start seeing adapters sold on eBay for $20. (Just don't expect them to be as nicely-made as a Milich or RayQual or Novoflex.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

think barjohn meant

http://www.fotodiox.com

they seem to have all sorts of groovy hard to find adaptor things

cheers

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sorry, a typo.
    V/r John

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the tips guys. Time to do some shopping!

Bill

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Mosley View Post
    Hi Jorgen,

you just hit the nail on the head - no other camera can compete with the G1, imho for use with cheap legacy lenses.

The E-510/E-520, E-30 and E-3 all offer in-body IS for legacy lenses which is extremely useful imho - and actually the E-520 is much better weighted for use with heavy legacy lenses, but without ELVIS, focusing is too difficult.

Kind Regards

Brian
    ELVIS??? Is he still around? I thought he kind of went out of service some 32 years ago.... and whatever happened to EVIL

I apparently have to catch up on the reading, before technology and its terms get too far ahead of me

Need to dig up some of those old, brown documents with a picture of a prominent member of the Royal Family as well, and see if I can change them for a Panasonic. Where on earth did I hide those, I wonder

Maybe they will take my old Technics hi-fi as a part payment. It's the same corporation, isn't it? They should honor an old, trusty customer, don't you think

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

EVF-I, EVIL, ELVIS... take your pick

ELVIS (Electronic Live View Imaging System) is for people who want to have fun with their acronyms

Kind Regards

Brian

Deceased, but remembered fondly here... johnastovall's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A lot of those 'cheap' adapters require the Panasonic DMW-MA1 adapter on the G1 first.

"The market wants a Leica to be a Leica: the inheritor of tradition, the subject of lore, and indisputably a mark of status to own."
    Mike Johnston

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

In starting this thread I wasn't really advocating the G1 for use with legacy SLR lenses.. I think it is a great solution for using the leica/voightlander type rangefinder lenses, but adding a 4/3rd adaptor and then an adapted SLR lens does kinda defeate the compact size of the G1

But from a couple of comments , its is obvious that the fact you can add old Nikkors and Zuikos amongst others to your existing Oly SLR is not something obvious to many users

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by johnastovall View Post
    A lot of those 'cheap' adapters require the Panasonic DMW-MA1 adapter on the G1 first.
    John,
    The reason for this is that most of the adapters (that we are using for G1) were manufactured for the 4/3 mount. If you want to use them on the G1, it requires the 4/3 to micro 4/3 adapter. Hopefully, we will soon see more adapters made to mate legacy lenses directly to micro 4/3. Already, we are seeing LTM to micro 4/3 and M to micro 4/3.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

If anyone has Canon FL or FD lenses, here's a Canon-->LTM adapter available now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=110333251047

And, it's an actual Canon product.

Use it along with a Milich LTM-G1 adapter, or an M-G1 adapter (along with an LTM adapter.)

Then attach a 50/1.2 FD lens (a lot cheaper than a 50/1.2 LTM lens and probably much sharper.)

Adapter madness.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by johnastovall View Post
    I ordered a couple of cheap adapters for Nikon and Canon lenses, and I'll pick up the DMW-MA1 locally. They're practically giving away old Canon FD glass these days, but unfortunately a lot of it is in pretty bad shape.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Mosley View Post
    EVF-I, EVIL, ELVIS... take your pick

ELVIS (Electronic Live View Imaging System) is for people who want to have fun with their acronyms

Kind Regards

Brian
    Though I kinda like the cute ELVIS nickname I still believe the EVIL acronym nails the central point better, that for the first time we now have a digital camera with Electronic Viewfinder in combination with Interchangeable Lenses.

The reason I think it is a bit important that we circle about that central point, is that I hope we will see other companies take up the idea and make an EVIL Micro ASP-C or ASP-H camera as the next step of the EVIL concept now that Panasonic has demonstrated the instant popularity of this initiative with its even smaller Four Thirds sensor and also shown that it can be done at a street price of less than 700 USD.

I'll start a separate thread about this off topic speculation on the Other Cameras Board. Pure speculation, I know, I know, I just can't stop thinking about it

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post

Use it along with a Milich LTM-G1 adapter, or an M-G1 adapter (along with an LTM adapter.)

Then attach a 50/1.2 FD lens (a lot cheaper than a 50/1.2 LTM lens and probably much sharper.)

Adapter madness.
    Is there some sort of competition here to see who can use the most adaptors at once?

If so, what's the winning combination?
    Sláinte

Robert.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If anyone has printed from the G1 at large sizes can you shed some light on how big you can go before noticeable nasties?

Thanks

Woody

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by woodyspedden View Post
    If anyone has printed from the G1 at large sizes can you shed some light on how big you can go before noticeable nasties?

Thanks

Woody
    I dled about 9 RAW files and processed in LR 2.2. I printed 2 (one of them Uwe Steinmueller's from Outback PHoto) at 11 x 17. I feel sure I could have taken Uwe's, which was well exposed, larger. When I get my own camera this week I will print up to 16 x 24 and see--how else will we know?? At 11 x 17, the print was probably impossible to tell from other 12 MP DSLRs. However, with other shooting situations, other light--that could make a difference in larger prints. Also--none of these were landscapes with foliage, but the detail in Uwe's printed beautifully at that size--I shoot with a 5D so I will be shooting and printing a few from both at various sizes--just for fun LOL.

Diane