The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Zuiko 60mm f2.8 macro

jonoslack

Well. I bought one, I'm having fun with it!
I'm not sure why I didn't buy it ages ago. Let's face it, if Ming Thein says it's good (with all his macro work) then it must be.
Ming Thein's Review of the 60 macro

I have a bad feeling that the reason I hadn't bought it was because it's too cheap, and I didn't really believe that it could be that good.

Whatever - I've had a µ43 hiatus over the last few days - ordering the E-M1, giving my E-M5 to Sim to take back to China (I have to sell his old camera on ebay).

I was left without a camera! Last night I slipped up on the WEX website and ordered the E-P5, the VF4 and the 60 macro. The camera is great - the locking EVF, and the eye sensor means that it really isn't very different from the OMD ergonomically. Whatever - I'm pleased with the camera.

The lens on the other hand is lovely - fast focusing, very sharp, weather sealed, nice focal length. 1:1 - what more could you want.

Here are some snaps at 3200 ISO (well, let's make it difficult!).

Echo (1/30th sec)

Keys (1/30th sec)

Flower

San Miguel

jonoslack

Here are some more
(exif should be intact)

Clematis

Orange

bracken (crushing it for jpg has spoiled the bokeh)

Old Rose

New Rose

Godfrey

Looks to be a very nice lens from these photos. Both it and the Macro-Elmarit-DG 45mm are now on my B&H wish list for future consideration.

(I ordered a Novoflex MFT/LER adapter this morning ... Might as well go all out for the R lenses... :)

G

jonoslack

Matty

Moon

Doe and Fawn at sunset

As you can see, I've been having lots of fun!

Now it's your turn, and if you haven't got this lens . . . why not?

all the best

scott kirkpatrick

Re: Fun with the Elmarit-R 60mm f2.8 macro

I picked up one of these to use with my still unobtainable M240, but I've used it extensively with the 5-series of Olympus M43rds cameras. I took it out with the e-PL5 this afternoon. In Scotland (my part of the UK), the national flower is the thistle, but in Israel, the national flower should be the stone, since that's what the hills around Jerusalem consist of.

Some other things bloom between the stones

But a different flora dominates our skyline:

and that is the construction crane.

scott

scott kirkpatrick

Re: Fun with the Elmarit-R 60mm f2.8 macro

Here's what our evening sky filled with cranes looks like.

This building site is for an archaeology institute and, appropriately it is mostly underground.

and the clutter that surrounds such a site forms a different sort of vegetation

scott

kaotic

I just got mine the other day and I LOVE IT!!!

I just switched from Canon to m4/3's (OM-D EM-5), I was using the Canon 60mm f2.8 and it was a great lens, but the E-M5 with the IBIS is just fantastic!

Here is the first shot I got, it's a dead wasp I found in the back of my car :D.

Great pics everyone, keep them coming! :thumbs:

Mike

benroy

Subscriber Member
60 Oly macro/OMD: whirls and swirls on root knobs. Tree roots are exposed to power mower and the tops of the knobs (elbows?) are cut off...when the knob heals, these whirls and swirls are revealed...reminds one of Van Gogh's night skies. All taken within a few feet of one another...same tree.

Last edited:

scott kirkpatrick

Re: Fun with the Zuiko 60mm f2.8 macro and the Leica Macro Elmarit-R 60

My M.Zuiko 60 arrived this afternoon. As Jono says, it is really inexpensive so resistance is futile. Curious thing, the E-M1 with the M.Zuiko 60 is BIGGER than the M240 with my Macro-Elmarit-R mounted with an adapter. But the E-M1 rig weighs less. It was dark when I got things home, so I set up a little competition with the help of a living room lily and a tripod. First the M.Zuiko:

that's at f/8, ISO 800. And next the Macro-Elmarit R:

at ISO 400, f/5.6. Some color correction required, as Leica has weird ideas about keeping the results of shooting indoors very warm. Which do you prefer?

scott

donbga

Re: Fun with the Zuiko 60mm f2.8 macro and the Leica Macro Elmarit-R 60

My M.Zuiko 60 arrived this afternoon. As Jono says, it is really inexpensive so resistance is futile. Curious thing, the E-M1 with the M.Zuiko 60 is BIGGER than the M240 with my Macro-Elmarit-R mounted with an adapter. But the E-M1 rig weighs less. It was dark when I got things home, so I set up a little competition with the help of a living room lily and a tripod. First the M.Zuiko:

that's at f/8, ISO 800. And next the Macro-Elmarit R:

at ISO 400, f/5.6. Some color correction required, as Leica has weird ideas about keeping the results of shooting indoors very warm. Which do you prefer?

scott
The shot made with the Elmarit looks sharper, comparing the flower stamens that is.

Also the first photo looks underexposed by comparison.

I think the photos in this thread demonstrate to me that I need to upgrade to an EM1, my GX1 just isn't getting it done.

Don

scott kirkpatrick

Re: Fun with the Zuiko 60mm f2.8 and Elmarit-R 60/2.8

Continuing the competition, this time handheld. "Available" light was one overhead flourescent, indirect daylight, and a Fotodiox LED panel bounced off a nearby wall. First the E-M1, taking advantage of its 5-axis (??) image stabilization to shoot at f/8 and 1/20:

and then the M240, at a more conventional f/8 and 1/90:

I didn't have to override the Leica AWB this time.

scott

Knorp

Re: Fun with the Zuiko 60mm f2.8 and Elmarit-R 60/2.8

Continuing the competition, this time handheld. "Available" light was one overhead flourescent, indirect daylight, and a Fotodiox LED panel bounced off a nearby wall. First the E-M1, taking advantage of its 5-axis (??) image stabilization to shoot at f/8 and 1/20:

and then the M240, at a more conventional f/8 and 1/90:

I didn't have to override the Leica AWB this time.

scott
I'm frankly somewhat surprised to see how "clean" that E-M1 shot is, Scott.
Look at the speckles and banding in the M shot ... :shocked:

One of my gripes with my E-M1 are the speckles in the OOF areas that seem to be worse than in my E-M5.

Happy shooting and kind regards.