The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

OM-D E-M1 Shipment Notification

JMaher

Godfrey,

I talked to Olympus US yesterday. You can get both the adapter and lens rebate if you are interested in the 12-40. According to them you will need a copy of the UPC from the camera and the receipt and the receipt and original UPC from the lens both bought before the end of the year, The rebate form to appear in a week or so. So basically a free adapter plus $200 off on the lens.

Jim

Godfrey

Godfrey,

I talked to Olympus US yesterday. You can get both the adapter and lens rebate if you are interested in the 12-40. According to them you will need a copy of the UPC from the camera and the receipt and the receipt and original UPC from the lens both bought before the end of the year, The rebate form to appear in a week or so. So basically a free adapter plus $200 off on the lens.

Jim
Nice to know. At the moment, I'm still not really all that interested in buying this lens ... although it might make sense to buy it for myself, net the $200 off, then sell it if I don't want it.

Or maybe I should forget the zoom entirely, return the chattery Summilux 25, sell my Ultron 28 and Color Skopar 28, and pay the difference to obtain the Leica Elmarit-M 28mm f/2.8 that I've been wanting for the M9. I could use that on both cameras.

Decisions, decisions...

G

sagar

I finally got mine yesterday!:thumbup: from "the camera shop in muskegon" they were hosting Touch and Try for Olympus and had received 4 bodies as a part of event sale. Luckily I could grab one :clap:

I also ordered 12-40 considering with rebates its nearly 60% of what Pana is asking for 12-35

JMaher

Godfrey,

Wait and try the 25 on the E-M1 before you decide. In all my use on the EM-5 it only chatted maybe twice and in a particular set of circumstances, but I no longer remember what they were.

Jim

Godfrey

Godfrey,

Wait and try the 25 on the E-M1 before you decide. In all my use on the EM-5 it only chatted maybe twice and in a particular set of circumstances, but I no longer remember what they were.

Jim
I plan to, presuming that my E-M1 arrives before I have to send the Summilux back for a full refund. If it gets tight, I might return the Summilux and buy another one a bit later to see if it works properly with that option turned off.

It's not getting any use in the meantime.

G

dhsimmonds

I picked up mine from my trusty local dealer yesterday and slapped in a pre-charged battery from my EM5 collection and set it up. Quite a few interesting changes from the EM5 nothing detrimental and all very useful.

Is anyone else using AUTI IBIS? I think that I shall really like this feature as I won't need to remember to switch IBIS settings when panning in future! Just turn it off when using a tripod. Didn't have long before the light went yesterday so I will try again to day. I did note that C-AF is vastly improved though. :D

Knorp

[sigh] - No shipment notification here in Holland, I'm afraid.
According to my dealer - and if we're lucky - we get the first E-M1 shipment by the end of this month :banghead:

On a brighter note: just four more weeks of envious waiting ... :rolleyes:

Kind regards.

k-hawinkler

I was playing around with the Olympus OM-D E-M1 + Sigma 19/2.8 and observed that it was quite easy to shoot handheld at 1 second exposure time, ISO 200, f/2.8 and get sharp images of static objects like book shelves. I don't recall that it was that easy for me with the E-M5. BTW, I kept on breathing. Amazing! :)

Godfrey

I was playing around with the Olympus OM-D E-M1 + Sigma 19/2.8 and observed that it was quite easy to shoot handheld at 1 second exposure time, ISO 200, f/2.8 and get sharp images of static objects like book shelves. I don't recall that it was that easy for me with the E-M5. BTW, I kept on breathing. Amazing! :)
How do you like the Sigma? What does the manual focus feel like?

G

k-hawinkler

How do you like the Sigma? What does the manual focus feel like?

G

Thanks Godfrey.
IMHO the Sigma 19/2.8 seems pretty sharp on the E-M1.
I like it, but I am not a professional reviewer! :D
Manual focusing seems superb, very smooth and precise.

In M or S-AF MF mode magnification and/or focus peaking is active as long as one turns the focus ring.
As soon as one stops turning the focus ring the camera goes back to full view.
That's not what I want.

I have an Leica M to NEX adapter designed by Paul Habsch from Phigmenttech.
https://www.phigmenttech.ca/lmnex/index.php?page=product
It also switches on magnification and focus peaking as soon as one turns the focus ring.
However, it only goes back to full view when halfway pressing the shutter.
The advantage is that one has all the time one needs to fine tune focus| :thumbs: :)

scott kirkpatrick

In M or S-AF MF mode magnification and/or focus peaking is active as long as one turns the focus ring.
That's not what I want.
You can have focus peaking or magnification turned on full time, rather then only when you turn the focus ring and the camera is able to detect it. Go about two pages further into the manual and you will see where to assign toggling this function on and off to an external button.

scott

k-hawinkler

You can have focus peaking or magnification turned on full time, rather then only when you turn the focus ring and the camera is able to detect it. Go about two pages further into the manual and you will see where to assign toggling this function on and off to an external button.

scott

Scott,

Many thanks. I will try that.

Godfrey

Thanks Godfrey.
IMHO the Sigma 19/2.8 seems pretty sharp on the E-M1.
I like it, but I am not a professional reviewer! :D
Manual focusing seems superb, very smooth and precise.

That's not what I want. ...
Thanks. I'm curious about them. Sigma lenses have had a quite variable quality reputation ... not the optical design, the build qualities ... but they seem to be improving and becoming more consistent in recent years.

For mFT lenses, you can disable the*E-M1's manual focusing auto-assist and assign it to a convenient button press on the body ... both magnification and peaking. Same thing I'll want to do with adapted lenses: it's what I plan to do as soon as my E-M1 arrives.

G

Godfrey

Olympus OI Share 2.1 with E-M1 support just downloaded onto my iPad and iPhone. Now for the camera to get here. :)

G