The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GX7 or E-M1, suddenly, it's a dilemma

V

Vivek

I declare the DMC-GX7 bazaar open .:salute:
I welcome it! I am not someone who would refuse to buy a good camera if it is offered for a good price. I do not pride in my cameras as show pieces.

Lower the price, the better! :D

jonoslack

We are never too serious here, are we :)

If I should consider a long 4/3 lens for the E-M1, it would probably be the 150mm f/2. It's a beast of course, but the image quality it offers would make it worthwhile. Unfortunately, I lack a good excuse to buy one... fortunately ;)
Quite wrong - you have a perfect excuse . . .

If you buy this lens, then you can sell your Nikon kit - all you need is the E-M1 with this (and a few other lenses) for the motorsport and other professional work, and the E-M1 and GX-7 for video and travel.

KerChung!

pgmj

I would definitely recommend getting the 20/1.7 no matter which of the cameras you buy (but especially with the GX7). Mine has probably done about 80% of the photos I've made with the EM-5 (the rest with Oly 45/1.8 and a handful with Oly 12/2). The AF isn't painfully slow, but the PanaLeica 25/1.4 is substantially faster, which is why I have both.

kevinparis

I had the opportunity to quickly play with both the EM-1 and the GX7 recently.... was never really in the market for the GX7, but had to try it after everybody seemed to be hyperventilating over it... I was really disappointed in the GX7 EVF...not very good in my opinion... but then again I had just looked through the E-M1 which is very good.

waiting to see whether Samys here in LA get their shipment of E-M1's in before we leave on wednesday :)

K

jonoslack

I had the opportunity to quickly play with both the EM-1 and the GX7 recently.... was never really in the market for the GX7, but had to try it after everybody seemed to be hyperventilating over it... I was really disappointed in the GX7 EVF...not very good in my opinion... but then again I had just looked through the E-M1 which is very good.

waiting to see whether Samys here in LA get their shipment of E-M1's in before we leave on wednesday :)

K
Oh! I do hope so - I want a play!

mmbma

I already have a EM5. Should I upgrade? I understand the EVF/Screen is better, but the AF seems the same (I don't use 4/3 lenses and use continuous focus only rarely). To me the EM1 is quite ugly with the grip and is quite larger and heavier. How does it compare to K5II in terms of size?

I'm really having a hard debate here.

kevinparis

I already have a EM5. Should I upgrade? I understand the EVF/Screen is better, but the AF seems the same (I don't use 4/3 lenses and use continuous focus only rarely). To me the EM1 is quite ugly with the grip and is quite larger and heavier. How does it compare to K5II in terms of size?

in the flesh it looks much better, and is only marginally larger and perhaps heavier than an em5 with the the upper part of the grip

if you don't need the 4/3 support and you are happy with your em5 then i would invest in glass rather than upgrading

K

Brian Mosley

I suspect there will be an upgrade from the E-M5 in due course, the E-M1 has a different character - despite being about the same size plus grip, the ergonomics are improved significantly, and the EVF is also much improved.

Size and ergonomics are both a high priority for me - perhaps the E-M6 will hit the sweetspot for both, but in the meantime, the E-P5 kit with 17mm f1.8 + EVF and E-M1 with mZD PRO 12-40mm f2.8 will make a dream combination.

Good luck

Brian

scott kirkpatrick

Re: GX7 or E-M1, suddenly, it's taking longer than it might have

My E-M1 is on order at B&H, which originally posted a ship date of Oct 4. Amazon, which tends to be conservative so that they get the credit if things speed up, said Oct 14. Now I see that B&H no longer posts any ship date at all. This is familiar. I went through six weeks of delays in getting an E-P5 from a big Internet retailer, while they were available from small guys standing behind their counters weeks earlier.

Fortunately, I have an [...240], not to be spoken in this forum, which will meet me in New Mexico in two weeks. And an LER/LEM adapter with one white dot!

scott

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Tried the LX7 today. Wonderful camera, and feels much more compact than the E-M1. But... I need the E-M1 first, and I can just as well start selling off my Nikon gear. It won't see any use when the Olympus arrives anyway. The Panasonic will probably lose value fast so picking up one for 50-60% of the current price should be possible in less than six months, unless I simply keep the GH2 for backup.

Interestingly, my dealer told me that he only has pre-orders for around 15 cameras, as opposed to more than 50 when the Fuji X-Pro1 was launched. There are probably too many users around who are more than happy with their E-M5 cameras, and many who feel that they don't really need this upgrade. In many ways, it's closer to a Nikon D4 than to the smaller Olympus.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The price of the GH3 just fell to $1,000 here. That would make a wonderful pair with the E-M1; one for photo, one for video and both can do either. This is getting complicated :)

Yes, I do have a GH1 and a GH2 as well... :loco:

mmbma

got a blackmagic pocket for video.. that sweet thing. very hard to use though as I am am amature

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The price of the GH3 just fell to $1,000 here. That would make a wonderful pair with the E-M1; one for photo, one for video and both can do either. This is getting complicated :)

Yes, I do have a GH1 and a GH2 as well... :loco:
I'm now officially a nutcase :loco:
That GH3 price was for one body which was apparently being returned from a customer in "like new" condition. I'm picking it up next week and have changed my E-M1 order to kit with 12-40 mm since I'll need that lens sooner or later anyway, and with delivery in November or whenever the lens arrives. The GH2 is up for sale, and although it's my most used camera, build quality has been a constant worry.

Not anymore. When both the new cameras arrive, I will have the best stills and the best video camera this size, both weather sealed, both loaded with features, both with excellent ergonomics and both able to work as backup for each other. The combined weight of the two is almost exactly the same as for my D700 body which I will sell also.

Where is that PanaLeica 42.5 mm, I wonder :confused:

raist3d

Interesting about focusing in starlit darkness - I haven't seen any reports of the E-M1 performance in such low light, but on the E-P5 switching to magnified view and manual focus was necessary this evening ... followed by a 30 second exposure so focusing speed wasn't an issue.
Yes, you can manually focus, but you can manually focus lots of cameras that way. That is besides the point- the point is the GX7 can focus in real dark (to give you a reference the E-3/E-5 were rated down to focus on -2EV. The new K-5II can focus down to -3 EV - moonlight).

Fast continuous auto focus for moving subjects is obviously the headline feature, and will be a defining one for professional (paid) photographers.

Cheers

Brian
Again, it depends on the photography you are doing. There are many types of paid professional photographers.

For example, a wedding photographer could very well find the focusing of a GX7 better because of what I just mentioned. That said, an EM1 would look (because of the looks) better in that scenario, even if it may not perform as good as (reception at night) in focus.

Like the EM1, the focusing on the GX7 is hyper fast, for a lot of work in overlap they both can do it. Having the GX7 being able to photograph in lower light, focusing fast *and silent* can also be a big pro once again- depending on what kind of photography you are doing. (yes, I am talking about pro paid too).

- Ricardo