The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GX7 or E-M1, suddenly, it's a dilemma

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Unfortunately it doesn't have improved AF according to all that I've read. Looks nice on the GX7 though!
You are right, although some still claim that there's a tiny improvement. It seems to be improved optically though, at least with regards to flare and contrast, so probably has an improved coating.

raist3d

Be fair Vivek, faster AF on the E-M1 is a defining feature. Unless the GX7 also has on-sensor pdaf?

It's a strange comparison though, since they are so different ergonomically.

Cheers

Brian
Just because you have PDAF on the sensor does not guarantee faster AF. Keep in mind the PDAF is only used in the Em1 for 4/3rds compatibility and for CDAF, not stills.

Also the GX7 is rated to focus all the way down to -4EV which is superbly low light (Panasonic literally advertises it can focus in starlit dark). While you may not shoot in that dark usually, pretty much all cameras slow down focus speeds as they approach their dark focus limit. This means the Gx7 may very well focus faster in indoor situations, (party, wedding receptions, etc.).

Of course that has to be tested but it sure looks like it could happen that way. So faster EM1 AF vs GX7 seems like it would depend on the situation and needs to be tested by an objective party.

- Ricardo

raist3d

Jorgen, it seems to me that for what you mentioned your needs are the GX7 is definitively the better match.

One question though- you mentioned you do paid work. I would find better "customer on the field presence" with an EM1 -and in the "worst case if necessary"- an EM1 with the battery/portrait adapter to make it "grow" and "look more pro."

It seems to me that if this is not an issue for your clients and your paid work, I would say go GX7. And before you do either, handle both of course.

Just my 2 cents on your decision.

- Ricardo

Brian Mosley

Just because you have PDAF on the sensor does not guarantee faster AF. Keep in mind the PDAF is only used in the Em1 for 4/3rds compatibility and for CDAF, not stills.

Also the GX7 is rated to focus all the way down to -4EV which is superbly low light (Panasonic literally advertises it can focus in starlit dark). While you may not shoot in that dark usually, pretty much all cameras slow down focus speeds as they approach their dark focus limit. This means the Gx7 may very well focus faster in indoor situations, (party, wedding receptions, etc.).

Of course that has to be tested but it sure looks like it could happen that way. So faster EM1 AF vs GX7 seems like it would depend on the situation and needs to be tested by an objective party.

- Ricardo
Interesting about focusing in starlit darkness - I haven't seen any reports of the E-M1 performance in such low light, but on the E-P5 switching to magnified view and manual focus was necessary this evening ... followed by a 30 second exposure so focusing speed wasn't an issue.

Fast continuous auto focus for moving subjects is obviously the headline feature, and will be a defining one for professional (paid) photographers.

Cheers

Brian

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
One question though- you mentioned you do paid work. I would find better "customer on the field presence" with an EM1 -and in the "worst case if necessary"- an EM1 with the battery/portrait adapter to make it "grow" and "look more pro."
To gain customer recognition, I just bring this :D

V

Vivek

You are right, although some still claim that there's a tiny improvement. It seems to be improved optically though, at least with regards to flare and contrast, so probably has an improved coating.
That is hopefully the case. But it is still plastic just like the 20/1.7 I (that also has a metal mount).

Digital Interchangeable Lenses | PRODUCTS | LUMIX | Digital Camera | Panasonic Global

This is an unit focusing design and as a result is not a fast focusing lens like the 14/2.5. However, because it is unit focusing, it is also arguably the best lens the m43rds system has.

Brian Mosley

This is an unit focusing design and as a result is not a fast focusing lens like the 14/2.5. However, because it is unit focusing, it is also arguably the best lens the m43rds system has.
I don't see a problem with plastic, my original 20mm f1.7 is wearing nicely... Vivek, could you please expand on what you mean by 'unit focusing' and why you think that makes it the best lens the m4/3rds system has? It was certainly the first really nice lens we got IMHO.

Cheers

Brian

jonoslack

Well, I still find it rather odd to be comparing the two cameras?

Sure, they use the same lenses and have the same size sensor.
The image quality won't be that different
I'm sure they both focus quite fast enough . . . unless you want tracking focus.

But if you're going to use it for professional still use, I wouldn't have thought the GX7 would last for 10 minutes (especially in the rain or under a tap :eek:)

- and if you want a quality small compact camera with excellent video then the E-M1 certainly isn't it.

There have been a lot of people comparing the Leica M(240) with the Sony RX-1 :confused:

jonoslack

Ah... E-M1 of course. I'm lost in the past :)

Yes, they are very different cameras. The E-M1 would be a perfect replacement for my Nikons, but until there is a longer large aperture telephoto lens available, they can't, so I would have to keep the Nikons for many applications anyway. When I remove paid jobs, the question is if the GX7 is a better camera for whatever is left, like travelling.
150 (300) f2?
90-250 (180-500) f2.8?

Seems that the E-M1 will cover all your bases, both for travel AND for sport.
It'll do nice street photography in the pouring rain as well.

all the best

V

Vivek

Agree. I love that 20/1.7. Still have it.

Brian, The whole lens, as an unit, moves to focus. In case of the 14/2.5, only one element moves (IF = internal focusing) like many other lenses. The 14/2.5 does not increase its length while focusing (unlike the 20/1.7).

Due to the mass to be moved to focus (and the distance), the unit focusing lenses such as the 20/1.7 are slower.

OTOH, not all "unit focusing" lenses are automatically some special piece of optics. We have the utter crap 17/2.8 from Olympus to prove that.
I don't see a problem with plastic, my original 20mm f1.7 is wearing nicely... Vivek, could you please expand on what you mean by 'unit focusing' and why you think that makes it the best lens the m4/3rds system has? It was certainly the first really nice lens we got IMHO.

Cheers

Brian

V

Vivek

But if you're going to use it for professional still use, I wouldn't have thought the GX7 would last for 10 minutes (especially in the rain or under a tap :eek:)
So, that rules out under the tap, kitchen sink photography with the GX7, just like any Leica M digital camera out there. :ROTFL:

jonoslack

So, that rules out under the tap, kitchen sink photography with the GX7, just like any Leica M digital camera out there. :ROTFL:
No problem with the Leica M for kitchen sink photography Vivek - works fine, and the lenses don't seem to leak either.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Jono,
The problem is that I would really like to have both, replacing the GH2 and GH1, GX7 for travel and video and E-M1 for everything else. As for the 4/3 lenses, I'm not sure if I want to wander down that path. Those telephoto lenses are rather large, and would make my setup as large and heavy as my current Nikon gear, although with better high ISO and a few other tricks. I'll try and compare both tomorrow.

Brian Mosley

Jorgen,

if you only try one 4/3rds lens on the E-M1, make it the ZD 50-200mm f2.8-3.5 ;)

p.s. That's me using one on the E-3 in my avatar. At least you get a decent lens hood!

Kind regards

Brian

jonoslack

Jono,
The problem is that I would really like to have both, replacing the GH2 and GH1, GX7 for travel and video and E-M1 for everything else. As for the 4/3 lenses, I'm not sure if I want to wander down that path. Those telephoto lenses are rather large, and would make my setup as large and heavy as my current Nikon gear, although with better high ISO and a few other tricks. I'll try and compare both tomorrow.
Well, I was being a little tongue in cheek - but as Brian says, the 50-200 is a great lens, not too expensive, and not too heavy either.

I want the E-M1 for travel - but I realise the video ain't as good as the Panasonic.

Good Luck

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Well, I was being a little tongue in cheek - but as Brian says, the 50-200 is a great lens, not too expensive, and not too heavy either.

I want the E-M1 for travel - but I realise the video ain't as good as the Panasonic.

Good Luck
We are never too serious here, are we :)

If I should consider a long 4/3 lens for the E-M1, it would probably be the 150mm f/2. It's a beast of course, but the image quality it offers would make it worthwhile. Unfortunately, I lack a good excuse to buy one... fortunately ;)