The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

ttl flash, ergonomics, omd

dmeckert

Hi all.

Currently hefting a Nikon d800 around, but I'm looking to switch it up a bit. It's amazing, but for one of my jobs, it's just too heavy.

The job is easy as pie, but tends to be for multiple hours using the camera constantly. And despite youth being on my side, I'm prone to tendon injury.

My main questions are as follows:

1) how easy on the hands is the em5 with/without grip?

-I know it weighs a ton less, but if the hand position is cramped it won't be much of an improvement. I realize it's an individual thing, but I'm looking for a general impression.

2) how consistent is ttl flash exposure in changing outdoor conditions?

-My d800+sb900 misses less than half a dozen shots a day out of 500-800 pics, and it's close enough that jpegs are recoverable without worry.

thanks for the help,

David :)

greypilgrim

I cannot speak to the flash, but I can to the grip. Personally, I found a grip necessary for the E-M5. As a matter of fact, I found it transformative in terms of my shooting experience. I use the Really Right Stuff grip because it provides an arca style plate on the bottom and provides access to the battery compartment.

I also find the grip helps me balance the weight of heavier lenses.

As you said, it is a totally personal experience, and you should go check out the camera with and without a grip to see how it fits you and your style of shooting.

Doug

Godfrey

I found the E-M5 a bit too cramped for my hands. The new E-M1 is much better, and with the battery grip it's just about perfect.

Can't speak to either body regards the flash TTL, but I've had consistently good results with my previous FT and mFT bodies using the Olympus FL-36 and FL-50 flash units. They're usually quite close to the mark for average circumstances, and offer a good deal of adjustability as well.

G

dmeckert

thanks gents. much appreciated.

i had a sneaking suspicion the grip would be necessary...and also that the e-m1 would be even better. ayayay.

i was hoping to get away on the cheap with a supplementary system. i don't necessarily want to divest myself of nikon. i really like the files i get out of my d800, and anything that replaces it would have to pick up the full slack. (not that i need the file size, but you get used to a certain amount of malleability and a certain way of working). picking up an e-m1 kit with appropriate flash and lenses would pretty much require that (tax deduction helps, but only helps so much).

so much thinking.

dmeckert

anyone else have experience with the olympus flash system?

coming from nikon, i'm concerned with consistency and flexibility (i completely take them for granted currently). life is so easy set to TTL-BL with my compensations dialed in on body and flash for the look i want.

just looking for a broader consensus. (especially before i jump on a good price locally, and spend $400 on accessories. lol)

cjlacz

I haven't used it recently, but I've used Oly's wireless control with TTL flash many times in the past. It doesn't have the IR only controller that Nikon has, but in general it's worked out fine. I have the FL-600R, but I haven't attempted to use it as a controller yet. Outdoor it's worked fine for the most part. Sometimes I moved the flash too far away to see the controller, but at the time it was only the pop-up flashes. I didn't have complaints on the consistency, but I know there are some limitations (IR controller, not being able to use the flash as a controller & flash) that I believe Nikon can do.

I use the E-M5 without grip, with the Oly grip and with the RRS bracket + grip. I tend to shoot with small primes and I find it works ok, but I do rely a lot on the thumb grip more than the finger grip. Front fingers just applying some pressure so the thumb holds the camera. It doesn't work quite as well with large lenses. Both the Oly and RRS grip provide a more solid holding experience. The more forward dial is a bit easier to use on the Oly grip.

If you are going to be putting a flash on the E-M5, the FL-50R especially I'd recommend a grip. The FL-600R is a little smaller, but still unbalances the camera.