The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Olympus E-M1

Godfrey

I have LR5, but I just don't want to use it!
You could dl the DNG Converter, transform the .ORFs into .DNGs and use them with Aperture. I just tested and Aperture will import them that way. Color default seems to be ok, if not stupendous.

G

dhsimmonds

I am also using Adobe Camera Raw 8.2.0.94 for my E-M1 ORF files. It is the latest update to Photoshop CS6 and does a good conversion job at least until C1Pro gets around to producing a profile for this camera.

jonoslack

You could dl the DNG Converter, transform the .ORFs into .DNGs and use them with Aperture. I just tested and Aperture will import them that way. Color default seems to be ok, if not stupendous.

G
Thanks so much for this Godfrey
Job Done!

All the best
Jono

jonoslack

G
Sadly Godfrey it will only import files from 4/3 lenses as far as I can see. With micro 43 lenses you get Unsupported file format. :cry:

Godfrey

Sadly Godfrey it will only import files from 4/3 lenses as far as I can see. With micro 43 lenses you get Unsupported file format. :cry:
You are correct. The files I used to test were made with the 11-22 and 35 Macro, they import without any problems. The DNGBackwardVersion token in them is v1.1.0. Another test file I made with the Summilux-DG 25 has DNGBackwardVersion v1.3.0, it will not import. When I tweak the EXIF to reflect v1.1.0, they import.

That means that Aperture as yet cannot interpret DNG files that it doesn't have a camera profile for with DNG versions that include lens-injected correction parameters.

I won't express further my feelings on that subject. Lightroom 5.2 doesn't have the best color profiles for the E-M1 as yet, but at least it supports the version of DNG that was current in 2009 ..!

G

jonoslack

HI Godfrey
You are correct. The files I used to test were made with the 11-22 and 35 Macro, they import without any problems. The DNGBackwardVersion token in them is v1.1.0. Another test file I made with the Summilux-DG 25 has DNGBackwardVersion v1.3.0, it will not import. When I tweak the EXIF to reflect v1.1.0, they import.
Hmm - what do you use to tweak the exif information? I guess this means that until there is proper support in Aperture I'll be shooting the 11-22 and the 12-60 (which is not much of a hardship!)

That means that Aperture as yet cannot interpret DNG files that it doesn't have a camera profile for with DNG versions that include lens-injected correction parameters.

I won't express further my feelings on that subject. Lightroom 5.2 doesn't have the best color profiles for the E-M1 as yet, but at least it supports the version of DNG that was current in 2009 ..!

G
Hmmm - yes - I rather understood this was underway when the monochrom supported, but I had realised that it wasn't (X-Vario DNG files don't work either).

All the best

jonoslack

Well . . . My 12-60 came back from the menders this morning, it's like meeting a very old and very very good friend! I love it - it's a great range, it focuses stupidly close, and it's sharp at all apertures and all focal lengths - right to the corners!

Added to which it focuses perfectly adequately on the E-M1

Here are 4 shots from rainy today

Knorp

These are looking good and a lovely lens no doubt.
Still, I don't get it why you had to flung it across the road first ... :loco:
But joking aside - good it was mendable and who knows when (ever) I receive my free MMF-3 adapter ...

Kind regards.

jonoslack

These are looking good and a lovely lens no doubt.
Still, I don't get it why you had to flung it across the road first ... :loco:
But joking aside - good it was mendable and who knows when (ever) I receive my free MMF-3 adapter ...

Kind regards.
HI Bart
Actually it was a dog bolt - I had the camera in hand, and the dog on the lead . . . she bolted for it and the camera spun away onto the road :cry:

Still - it's been all nicely fixed and checked, and seems to be doing well. The only visible damage is the deep scarring on the lens hood.

Godfrey

Hmm - what do you use to tweak the exif information? I guess this means that until there is proper support in Aperture I'll be shooting the 11-22 and the 12-60 (which is not much of a hardship!)
Going fearlessly into the mish-mash of computer goofyness, I used a disk editor to bash the files directly. It was quickest, and I didn't have a compatible version of EXIFtool installed. :)

Not necessarily the best way to do it...

G

Godfrey

HI Bart
Actually it was a dog bolt - I had the camera in hand, and the dog on the lead . . . she bolted for it and the camera spun away onto the road :cry:

Still - it's been all nicely fixed and checked, and seems to be doing well. The only visible damage is the deep scarring on the lens hood.
I missed the 12-60 lens damage story. You live dangerously. ;-)
The photos look very good!

I did a quick test of the Novoflex mount adapter and Summicron-R 50mm f/2. My gosh, the E-M1 viewfinder works beautifully for focusing this lens! I have the two front buttons set up to turn on magnification and peaking. Most of the time I need neither, but they provide an additional level of security in placing the critical focus point.

Wish I had more time to use them, but suffice it to say I'm very glad I bought these R lenses now. :)

G

leuallen

Been wanting to do a harvesting sunset picture for some time. Hard to get the sun and farmers together. Last night I got my chance. EM-1, 4/3 50-200 at 117mm, f8, 1/8000, ISO200. Since this type of exposure is tricky, I set the camera to HDR mode 5 exposures @ 2 stops apart, high speed burst. I figured I'd get one good exposure from each bracket. This worked out well as the exposure was constantly changing and I had no time to adjust because the sun was dropping rapidly and the combine was generally moving.

Larry

Bruce Clarke

Looks like they did a good job Jono, nice and sharp at f2.8. Did yours have a sticking zoom after you dropped it? Mine did, and if you looked in from the front in strong light, you could see dents in the three plastic zoom tracks. They replaced the plastic insert.

Bruce

jonoslack

HI There Bruce
No, the inside seemed okay - it was on the pen 5, and the edge of the lens hood hit the road, so I think the very front took all the stress.

Larry - that is one killer photo of the sunset and the harvest - excellent!

all the best