The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Olympus E-M1

Godfrey

A Norwegian friend from the Pentax mailing lists is in town, on Wednesday evening we gathered for dinner at a restaurant in Santa Cruz. The Pentax folks were quite interested in the E-M1. As dinner wound down, I realized that no one had taken a group photo yet and it was getting kinda late so I needed to get back in the car to go home. So I connected to it with the iPad mini and set the E-M1 on the bar across from our table.

It made it very easy to get everyone's face visible in the frame, even if I couldn't get three folks from staring at the image on the iPad screen ... ;-)

L to R: Godfrey, Jostein, Zab, Larry, John
Olympus E-M1 + Summilux-DG 25
ISO 5000 @ f/3.2 @ 1/25 second

A tap on the screen for where to place focus and another tap to make the exposure. The image was automatically on the iPad, I added the frame with Snapseed and sized/uploaded the photo to flickr with Photogene. Seamless and excellent... I like this camera more and more.

G

PS: The new Macro-Elmarit-DG 45mm has arrived... :)

Brian Mosley

We did the same thing in Cambridge Godfrey, it's a great way to get a relaxed group shot like this. I like that you can upload images to social networking sites too.

Here's another from my scouting trip earlier... processed using Olympus Viewer / Lightzone this time.

E-M1 + 75mm f1.8
1/100s f/3.5 at 75.0mm iso200

Kind regards

Brian

tashley

Subscriber Member
Guess who, faced with an unexpectedly interesting event, underexposed it? Because for some reason the focus wouldn't lock and I had to think about that instead of adding some compensation. So the result is a bit HDR-ish but a bit of fun anyhow

Brian Mosley

Wow, that's a beauty Riley.

...and love the flying grass Tim, a great action shot!

Here's another from earlier. The 75mm f1.8 is a stunning performer on the E-M1

E-M1 + 75mm f1.8
1/25s f/1.8 at 75.0mm iso200

Cheers

Brian

paulwr

As many others have experienced, I have been having trouble getting accurate skin tones out of the E-M1 within Lightroom. Updated to 5.3 with some improvement but still not nailing it. I downloaded a custom ACR/Lightroom profile from Huelight ACR & Lightroom Camera Profiles and I think it has made a big improvement.

Below shows an example, the first (left) is the standard Adobe profile, the second (right) is the custom version. If you look at the skin tones on the arms and wrist area and the colors of the plates and the papers on the shelf, you will notice a reduction in the reddish tones and a more accurate reproduction.

I have no connections with the website, just thought the group might be interested.
Paul

paulwr

Just for kicks and giggles, tried the Noctilux on the E-M1 today. Easy to focus. Certainly not the color reproduction or micro-contrast of the Leica, but borderline usable.

Paul

Godfrey

My walk today was with the Macro-Elmarit-DG 45mm. An intensely delightful lens, it's every bit as good as I remembered. A couple of photos later or tomorrow. :)

I await the Nocticron 42.5, the Summilux 15, and will likely do myself an M.Zuiko 75 at some point too.

G

tashley

Subscriber Member
Just for kicks and giggles, tried the Noctilux on the E-M1 today. Easy to focus. Certainly not the color reproduction or micro-contrast of the Leica, but borderline usable.

Paul

I did exactly the same thing yesterday! Using the F1 Noctilux. I still need to bottom it out at a broader range of apertures but on this occasion I mostly shot at F2 or wider and of course the lens's characteristic falloff occurs at different relative points within the frame. Here are three and then the fourth is the same lens shot at about F1 or 1.4 but with the M240. You'd need to follow the links and download them at full size to see where the differences lie but they are not as great as I might have imagined and so I see the Nocti as a very useful mood lens on the E-M1..

Original

Original

tashley

Subscriber Member
What is really useful with this lens, as it was with Leica cameras, is that you can really isolate subjects at distance and get both foreground and background blur, and if shot at the larger apertures the sides go fuzzy too. My favourite aperture is around F2 where you get nice sharpness at the point you want..

100% crop:

It tightens up pretty well by F5.6 - not perfectly but useably: brick wall shot full size...

And also, it is just plain fun!

Godfrey

The Macro-Elmarit 45 arrived Friday evening, so I had to take it out for the Saturday morning walk and test it.
Made a couple of photos along the way in the process that I liked... But I'll let you be the judge of that. :)

Olympus E-M1 + Panasonic-Leica Macro-Elmarit-DG 45mm f/2.8 ASPH OIS

Yes, the lens works fine, far as I can tell. :)

Thanks for looking! Comments always appreciated.

Godfrey

Brian Mosley

From the Donna Nook seal sanctuary this morning...

E-M1 + ZD 50-200mm f2.8-3.5
1/500s f/4.0 at 200.0mm iso200

Kind regards

Brian